U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 06-22-2011, 10:31 AM
 
Location: West Orange, NJ
12,079 posts, read 9,388,825 times
Reputation: 3334

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by soug View Post
I've heard plenty of stories of huge family conflicts in my friends' grandparents' and great-grandparents' generation because of intermarriage between different parts of Italy (and yes, especially Sicily). I find it pretty fascinating to see the same thing play out (although not nearly as bad) these days amongst the various ethnic/sub-ethnic divisions of Indians, Hispanics, etc.
for how common it is today, irish-italian marriages decades ago in the U.S. were highly controversial within the italian familes (largely due to the discrimination italians received from irish in the 1800s)
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-22-2011, 10:32 AM
 
Location: West Orange, NJ
12,079 posts, read 9,388,825 times
Reputation: 3334
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
Cue Dennis Hopper's scene from True Romance...
great scene!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2011, 02:21 PM
 
Location: Lemon Grove, CA, 91945
4,536 posts, read 4,838,145 times
Reputation: 1627
Quote:
Originally Posted by jknic View Post
Sicilians aren't Italians (most Italians I know consider them to be a different culture/ethnicity), but regardless most Italians in NJ (even if you include the Sicilians) are Southern Italian, and, although it's not like it used to be, most Italians still live in enclaves (and I use that term loosely) made up of Italians all from the area. So, for example, if you come to Vineland where I live, you'll find Italians from Emiglia-Romagna.
Totally agree. Any Italian American claiming to be "Italian" to legitimize or justify their "Italian" behavior or as bane to exist, is a total moron.

Sicily has been invaded so many times over the centuries, they are more of a melting pot than the US is lol.
If anything, as of right now, they tend to be more north African from the recent migrations from Algeria and Morocco. In essence, they are Moorish.

I havent been in the NY/NJ for quite some time, but the decrease in size of Little Italy in NYC is only a reflection of the change in tide society.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2011, 03:27 PM
 
Location: West Orange, NJ
12,079 posts, read 9,388,825 times
Reputation: 3334
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
Totally agree. Any Italian American claiming to be "Italian" to legitimize or justify their "Italian" behavior or as bane to exist, is a total moron.

Sicily has been invaded so many times over the centuries, they are more of a melting pot than the US is lol.
If anything, as of right now, they tend to be more north African from the recent migrations from Algeria and Morocco. In essence, they are Moorish.

I havent been in the NY/NJ for quite some time, but the decrease in size of Little Italy in NYC is only a reflection of the change in tide society.
the decrease of Little Italy is a reflection of young italians not wanting to run the family businesses, largely because their parents sent them to college to have a "better life". the downside to that is, no one to take over the family business except the expanding Chinatown folks.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2011, 06:00 PM
 
Location: Lemon Grove, CA, 91945
4,536 posts, read 4,838,145 times
Reputation: 1627
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
the decrease of Little Italy is a reflection of young italians not wanting to run the family businesses, largely because their parents sent them to college to have a "better life". the downside to that is, no one to take over the family business except the expanding Chinatown folks.
Exactly.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2011, 08:11 PM
 
1,786 posts, read 2,805,840 times
Reputation: 1223
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
Totally agree. Any Italian American claiming to be "Italian" to legitimize or justify their "Italian" behavior or as bane to exist, is a total moron.

Sicily has been invaded so many times over the centuries, they are more of a melting pot than the US is lol.
If anything, as of right now, they tend to be more north African from the recent migrations from Algeria and Morocco. In essence, they are Moorish.

I havent been in the NY/NJ for quite some time, but the decrease in size of Little Italy in NYC is only a reflection of the change in tide society.
What exactly is "Italian" behavior to you?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2011, 08:19 PM
 
691 posts, read 681,542 times
Reputation: 928
Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh5 View Post
What exactly is "Italian" behavior to you?
Probably the fake Jersey Shore type of "Italian"

My Italian cousins act this way and perpetuate the stereotype. My grandfather came here from Italy, and never had poofy hair or wore muscle shirts, was loud in public, or went tanning for that matter. I try to follow in his path rather than my cousins.

(yes he did talk with his hands and enjoyed sunday gravy lol who doesn't)
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2011, 08:24 PM
 
Location: Lemon Grove, CA, 91945
4,536 posts, read 4,838,145 times
Reputation: 1627
Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh5 View Post
What exactly is "Italian" behavior to you?
Timneh,

Exactly what goodschools just said. Justifying your actions and then saying its because your Italian. Like they live under a different set of rulesnfor claiming Italian things have special meaning that others wont understand. No Italian from Italy that I know would never even claim that type of behavior as Itlalian.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2011, 08:41 PM
 
1,786 posts, read 2,805,840 times
Reputation: 1223
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
Timneh,

Exactly what goodschools just said. Justifying your actions and then saying its because your Italian. Like they live under a different set of rulesnfor claiming Italian things have special meaning that others wont understand. No Italian from Italy that I know would never even claim that type of behavior as Itlalian.
Explain. Can you be specific.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2011, 08:47 PM
 
1,786 posts, read 2,805,840 times
Reputation: 1223
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSchoolols View Post
Probably the fake Jersey Shore type of "Italian"

My Italian cousins act this way and perpetuate the stereotype. My grandfather came here from Italy, and never had poofy hair or wore muscle shirts, was loud in public, or went tanning for that matter. I try to follow in his path rather than my cousins.

(yes he did talk with his hands and enjoyed sunday gravy lol who doesn't)
Some behavior can be Italian, but don't you think the actions and/or how a person looks and dresses can also be attributed to the area they live in?

I don't know any Italians with poofy hair or any of the descriptions you described above. I think it's because of the area. I do know many that talk with hands, though.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top