Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 01:28 PM

1,551 posts, read 2,420,773 times

Advertisements

I know most Italians in the US are Southern Italians. But I was wondering if many Italians in NJ are from Sicily or just from the Southern part. I once heard that New Jersey is "The capital of New Sicily."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2011, 02:24 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,047,273 times
What are you gettin at?

Old 06-19-2011, 03:22 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,292,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
I know most Italians in the US are Southern Italians. But I was wondering if many Italians in NJ are from Sicily or just from the Southern part. I once heard that New Jersey is "The capital of New Sicily."

Some come from Northern Staten Island and some come from Southern Staten Island.

Old 06-19-2011, 07:28 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,869,527 times
Sicilians aren't Italians (most Italians I know consider them to be a different culture/ethnicity), but regardless most Italians in NJ (even if you include the Sicilians) are Southern Italian, and, although it's not like it used to be, most Italians still live in enclaves (and I use that term loosely) made up of Italians all from the area. So, for example, if you come to Vineland where I live, you'll find Italians from Emiglia-Romagna.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:07 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,857,406 times
I've heard plenty of stories of huge family conflicts in my friends' grandparents' and great-grandparents' generation because of intermarriage between different parts of Italy (and yes, especially Sicily). I find it pretty fascinating to see the same thing play out (although not nearly as bad) these days amongst the various ethnic/sub-ethnic divisions of Indians, Hispanics, etc.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:41 PM

83 posts, read 224,120 times
'Italians' from here are so far removed from Italians in Italy (in terms of culture, looks, food, you name it) you can hardly call them Italian, no matter what part they are 'from'.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:42 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,047,273 times
Cue Dennis Hopper's scene from True Romance...

Old 06-21-2011, 07:40 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,869,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacks29 View Post
'Italians' from here are so far removed from Italians in Italy (in terms of culture, looks, food, you name it) you can hardly call them Italian, no matter what part they are 'from'.

There's Italians, and then there's Italian Americans. They are with out a doubt completely different.

Old 06-22-2011, 09:52 AM

2,535 posts, read 6,637,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jknic View Post
There's Italians, and then there's Italian Americans. They are with out a doubt completely different.
Then there are Northern New Jersey Italian Americans...a breed unto themselves...cue Real Housewives of NJ intro.

Old 06-22-2011, 10:30 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,326,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jknic View Post
Sicilians aren't Italians (most Italians I know consider them to be a different culture/ethnicity), but regardless most Italians in NJ (even if you include the Sicilians) are Southern Italian, and, although it's not like it used to be, most Italians still live in enclaves (and I use that term loosely) made up of Italians all from the area. So, for example, if you come to Vineland where I live, you'll find Italians from Emiglia-Romagna.
while Sicilians will usually point our they are Sicilian, this isn't uncommon of other regions in Italy, because it wasn't unified until relatively recently. Even the language today in each part of the country is still relatively exclusive to each region, as the national language wasn't established until the 40s or 50s. Sicialians are absolutely Italians, I've never heard an Italian person say anything otherwise. But, because of the military strategic positioning of the island, it's been conquered by so many cultures that Sicilian culture is unique. But every region in Italy has it's own unique culters. Northern Italians and Southern Italians still have a lot of anymosity between the groups, as the South is viewed as poor and lazy, and the North is generally despised by the South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey