Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 09:20 AM

5 posts, read 18,687 times

Advertisements

I am interested in a house, and almost completed the whole mortgage application process. However, I just found that there was a buried oil tank. The seller provided soem construction permits which stated that the tank was filled with sands in 1998. I also called the town, and the town told me that there was a certificate for the treatement. However there was no soil test proof showing that there was no contamination.

Should I still be concerned about the oil tank issue? Will I incur any trouble to get insurance or to sell house in the future?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 09:25 AM

505 posts, read 2,335,623 times
If there are completed out permits and a certificate saying that all is well then you 'should' be fine and have no problems at all. Abandoning an oil tank in the ground that way is perfectly acceptable method.

To settle your concerns, I would request that either the seller sample the soil or hire a tank company to come and test it for you to give you some peace of mind.

I have always recommended Tank Masters . They've always taken good care of my clients.

~Joey

Last edited by joeymarine; 06-15-2011 at 09:42 AM..

Old 06-15-2011, 09:28 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,979,830 times
Yes, be concerned. Unless there was testing and certified no contamination, you have potential issues.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:52 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,956,755 times
I know in my house hunting I stayed well clear of houses that had inground oil tanks...abandoned, certified, or whatever. Too many potential issues

Old 06-15-2011, 10:05 AM

219 posts, read 541,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
Yes, be concerned. Unless there was testing and certified no contamination, you have potential issues.
Yes this is a delicate issue. You should read about NJ and environmental issues, particularly the parts where the current owner is liable for damages at the time of discovery. (and too all those in the chain of title back to when they believe the contamination first occurred).

Filing a tank and getting a certificate of compliance is often the course of action, but be aware it is only as good as the company (and their insurance carrier) who you will seek indemnification from if leakage is discovered. Theoretically that is not possible (leakage) if it was properly 'filled'. You can also get your own insurance, but I believe that is only for current usage from the servicing oil company.

Getting a certificate of compliance (or Use and Occupancy or whatever your particular town refers to) from the town is only as good as the paper it's on, for the government will not take it as a relinquishment of their right to recover damages/remediation for the public good if leakage is discovered later on.

My personal opinion would be to have the tank removed by the sellers and a certificate of no further action received from the NJ DEP prior to closing - no fuss no muss (but a majority of leakage happens to be discovered at that time). I'm sure it is in your contract anyway.

If you choose to continue with the transaction, be prepared to sign an acknowledgement and a waiver (to)from your legal representative or advisor which explains how you have been advised to have the tank removed because of the possible problems of purchasing property with an abandoned underground tank, but chose to continue anyway.

Last edited by Jersied; 06-15-2011 at 10:13 AM..

Old 06-15-2011, 11:14 AM

Also, regarding getting insurance -- some companies will not insure a house if there has ever been an underground oil tank (even if it was removed).

Old 06-15-2011, 12:17 PM

5 posts, read 18,687 times
the term related with oil tank related to a certificate of no further action and removal was not in my contract. , I should visited this forum earlier

Old 06-15-2011, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qw1234567 View Post
the term related with oil tank related to a certificate of no further action and removal was not in my contract. , I should visited this forum earlier
Look on the bright side. If you walk away from this house, the time you lost will be a tiny fraction of the headaches and cost if you ignored the issue and got hit later with a costly clean-up.

Old 06-15-2011, 01:53 PM

1,620 posts, read 3,773,597 times
What's a ballpark figure of having a "problem-free" tank removed now-a-days? Nothing complicated (not under the driveway or anything like that), just a ballpark.

Old 06-15-2011, 01:54 PM

572 posts, read 2,021,913 times
I don't know if it is the cost of removing the tank that would be expensive, but the cost of having the soil samples tested to ensure that nothing leaked and that there are no issues.

Without that removing the tank means nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofagunk View Post
What's a ballpark figure of having a "problem-free" tank removed now-a-days? Nothing complicated (not under the driveway or anything like that), just a ballpark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey