U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Avoid parentsí basement dwelling and get in union, teacher, police officer, union member, investment banker or consultant, six-figure income, teacherís union

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 02:37 PM

687 posts, read 2,819,266 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the tip, Diane, but I'm really not looking to go back to teaching. I'm enjoying being a SAHM.

It is kind of a thankless job, and while people claim to respect teachers so much, at the end of the day, most really don't. Teaching is perhaps the most schizophrenic profession there is--such extreme highs and lows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2007, 04:05 PM

218 posts, read 628,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackofAllTrades View Post
Ummmm.....wow.

Honey, if 85 is the year of your birth, that puts you at what, 22? I honestly, to Christ, admire your response to that post, as it has fire and passion, two things that are needed in good teachers (even if you sound terribly naive). I believe many (NOT ALL) long-term teachers lack that fire and passion, and just see it as a guaranteed paycheck. Their pensions and salaries are more generous than many other civil servants...especially if you have a Masters. Thank the Teachers Union for that.

I may not have experience in this field, but I did involve myself with alot of friends (guys and girls) from two of the state's teacher's colleges and they tell me all about avoiding Abbott school systems. I used tell them, "Bro, take the hazard pay!", but their suburban ways simply wouldn't let them. One young punk I know just wants to make it to administration....don't give a damn about the kids and that's sad. Many did want Abbotts though, to "make a difference in a child's life". Those who told me that were definitely sincere.

I'm really not knocking teachers at all...like Police and Firemen, they are necessary for a community to function, lest we have children who can't read,
'rite, or do 'rithmatic. I'z needz ma edumacation fo' ma keeedz. LOL

And lastly, I truly apologize if I sounded offensive. I was truly trying to be funny and thought maybe I'd get a LOL or something....
I know you weren't trying to be offensive, but I guess that specific saying really fires me up (obviously). And I do have experience working in an Abbott district, so I know for sure that it's not all fun and games. Maybe a little bit of naivete is required to make a good teacher ... goodness knows it's always the cynical ones that everyone always seems to talk about... In any case, I grudgingly accept the economic theory that everyone rises to the level of his/her incompetence, particularly in public school administration. I guess I am just naive enough to hope that there is some exception in administration who will eventually choose to leave a cushy job in the suburbs so that the people who really need to be educated will be. I grew up in Bergen County, for better or for worse, and a few of the long-time teachers there were earning 6 figure salaries with a PhD, and I can't pretend that all of them actually deserved it. Don't tell the teacher's union, but just as in any other profession, I really think that there should be some kind of promotion system for teachers based on merit and not on tenure. Any takers?

Old 08-09-2007, 06:01 PM

44 posts, read 140,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLizzie85 View Post
I know you weren't trying to be offensive, but I guess that specific saying really fires me up (obviously). And I do have experience working in an Abbott district, so I know for sure that it's not all fun and games. Maybe a little bit of naivete is required to make a good teacher ... goodness knows it's always the cynical ones that everyone always seems to talk about... In any case, I grudgingly accept the economic theory that everyone rises to the level of his/her incompetence, particularly in public school administration. I guess I am just naive enough to hope that there is some exception in administration who will eventually choose to leave a cushy job in the suburbs so that the people who really need to be educated will be. I grew up in Bergen County, for better or for worse, and a few of the long-time teachers there were earning 6 figure salaries with a PhD, and I can't pretend that all of them actually deserved it. Don't tell the teacher's union, but just as in any other profession, I really think that there should be some kind of promotion system for teachers based on merit and not on tenure. Any takers?

Seriously, if you can still be upbeat and chipper after I'd say about a couple of years, then seriously, God bless you. You seem to have a perfect understanding (whether you agree with them or not) of the realities and perceptions of teachers.

Your promotion system would simply not fly, for the simple fact that the blessed Teachers Union would lose alot of high paying dues members. It's to their benefit that teachers get paid high, because dues are on a percentage...the more they make, the more they take. Unions, like religion, are always started with great intentions....until you start getting political and greedy.....then those great intentions go out the window. But I'm one to talk, as I'm a union member. But if you really mean what you say and will actually want to educate, then in my heart of hearts I have to support that. Excuse me though, if I choose to remain cynical about everything else.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey