Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 12:39 PM

15 posts, read 49,981 times

Advertisements

Hi folks,
First of all.. great forum! Also, I was a bit relieved that many people are still facing the dilemma, like me, of finding the right balance between work and home.

I will be working in NYC @ E42nd/330 Madison Avenue. Have a 5-year and a 7-year old. I started by looking at elementary school rankings and arriving at towns that way but not much luck. Except for Bergen County (Tenafly, Passaic, Lodi) noted for good schools I was not able to decisively identify good elementary schools. Then I called some friends. Some names suggested - Edison, North Brunswick, Marlboro, Glenridge, Princeton
Also I would like to be < 1 hr commute from work and easy access to public transport.
- Princeton looks nice but is too far.
- Marlboro: good school => expensive town => no apartments. I have been here and is a very nice town. Seems far from NYC. I can check for townhouses on rent. But would other town be a better deal than this?
- Glenridge: seems to be ditto Marlboro. But I REALLY liked location (atleast on the NJ transit map)!
- Edison, North Brunswick: I am not clear on these towns. How is elementary school? If there is a specific good elem school, do I need to stay in that school area?

Where would the wise ones put their money? Any other good town with a very good elem school, within 1 hr of Madison Ave commute?

Also my 5 year-old needs to go to Kindergarten. Is the admission policy similar to public school admission? Most towns seem to have private KG so admission could be an issue considering we are moving very closer to start of school.

I am relocating from Mumbai, India (gasp!) to NJ so I do not have the luxury of seeing things personally. I would like to drill down from: good school + commute to decide town and finally a condo/townhouse for rent.

Please help! Thanks a lot!.. and again..a wonderful forum.

regards,
Deepster
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2007, 01:07 PM

687 posts, read 3,250,762 times
That seems to be everyone's (at least those with kids) predicament these days... After looking all over the place for new construction, we ended up deciding to build in Marlboro. My husband is just going to suck it up and do the longer commute.

That said, Edison is probably your best bet. The schools are better than in North Brunswick, and I think your commute would be faster. Plus, Edison has a gazillion apartments.

There are tons of private kindergartens, but if you're in a good district, there is no reason to enroll in a private one. My sister-in-law teaches K in a Monmouth county district and has said that while her curriculum falls in line with what the kids do in the 1st grade within the district, sometimes kids coming from the private Ks end up struggling a bit at first in the 1st grade.

Old 07-26-2007, 01:40 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
if you can afford it, I'd go with glen ridge. i have a love-affair with that place . cute, great schools, gas lanterned streets, can't beat the location. but be prepared to plunk down major bucks in the way of prop. taxes.

how long before diane giam comes to this thread to slam marlboro and plug nashville?

Old 07-26-2007, 02:50 PM

9 posts, read 53,238 times
North Edison is closer to NYC, has train and has good public school. Princeton or Plainsboro, give it an 1 - 1 1/2 hr trip to NYC, by bus or train, both are in the top of NJ best public schools.

In North Jersey, Millburn or Short Hills, there's a train to NYC and I think Millburn public school is also in top 10. I'm not familiar with bus.

Good luck!

Old 07-26-2007, 03:22 PM

Quote:
how long before diane giam comes to this thread to slam marlboro and plug nashville?
Oh goodness... I never knew about the hatred towards Marlboro until I decided to move there. Oh well, no turning back now.

Old 07-26-2007, 08:56 PM

Default Rentals in Glen Ridge? any pointers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
if you can afford it, I'd go with glen ridge. i have a love-affair with that place . cute, great schools, gas lanterned streets, can't beat the location. but be prepared to plunk down major bucks in the way of prop. taxes.

I was recommended Glen Ridge but atleast for my first year of move, I am planning to rent. There seems only 1 apt complex and my friend has left a couple of voice mails for them. Any one know of any rentals in this town? There is a new complex- Reserve there but beyond my budget at this time.

Old 07-26-2007, 08:58 PM

Default Marlboro rental? Is distance to NYC workable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliann1977 View Post
That seems to be everyone's (at least those with kids) predicament these days... After looking all over the place for new construction, we ended up deciding to build in Marlboro. My husband is just going to suck it up and do the longer commute.

That said, Edison is probably your best bet. The schools are better than in North Brunswick, and I think your commute would be faster. Plus, Edison has a gazillion apartments.

There are tons of private kindergartens, but if you're in a good district, there is no reason to enroll in a private one. My sister-in-law teaches K in a Monmouth county district and has said that while her curriculum falls in line with what the kids do in the 1st grade within the district, sometimes kids coming from the private Ks end up struggling a bit at first in the 1st grade.
Hi Juliann,
Thanks for your reply. How much do you think is the door-2-door commute to 42nd/Madison Ave?
I see some townhomes for rent in Marlboro.

Old 07-27-2007, 05:21 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathakss View Post
I was recommended Glen Ridge but atleast for my first year of move, I am planning to rent. There seems only 1 apt complex and my friend has left a couple of voice mails for them. Any one know of any rentals in this town? There is a new complex- Reserve there but beyond my budget at this time.
my bad - I didn't see that you'd be renting. yeah, renting in glen ridge may be a problem. you're going to have to go private (rent a house or 2nd floor from an owner). you can realtor.com for rentals. good luck!

Old 07-27-2007, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Hi Juliann,
Thanks for your reply. How much do you think is the door-2-door commute to 42nd/Madison Ave?
I see some townhomes for rent in Marlboro.
It depends on if you're on the bus or on the train. I would say an hour and 15to 30.

Old 07-27-2007, 12:25 PM

8,306 posts, read 3,469,314 times
Hi Pathakss, I am moving to NJ too and facing a similar situation.And I am also from Mumbai.. But I have been in Ohio since the past few yrs, so it makes things a little better..
I am seriously considering Edison, looks great, good schools, easy commute to NYC and lots of Indians ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey