U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Avoid parentsí basement dwelling and get in union, teacher, police officer, union member, investment banker or consultant, six-figure income, teacherís union

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 05:23 PM

5,618 posts, read 13,160,972 times

Advertisements

Teacher, cop, or union if none of the above your not in the club. Keep working!!!!!!! No 3 to 7 percent automatic raise. Your screwed. Tell your children to become one of the above in NJ and they will be not living in your basement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2007, 05:34 PM

3,219 posts, read 5,566,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
Teacher, cop, or union if none of the above your not in the club. Keep working!!!!!!! No 3 to 7 percent automatic raise. Your screwed. Tell your children to become one of the above in NJ and they will be not living in your basement.
I tell ya steve that I notice that the age ceiling has risen quite a bit in the last 4 or so years to those either renting out room(s) in their homes or sharing apartments in NJ these days.

I see alot of people in their 40's and 50's now doing this. Only proves that not everyone in this state earns 6 figures or the megabucks and are forced to.

Old 08-07-2007, 07:38 PM

687 posts, read 2,874,420 times
Goodness... As a former teacher (until a little over a year ago), I'd love to know who these teachers are earning six figures.

For a surefire plan to avoid basement dwelling, I'd become an investment banker or consultant waaaay before a teacher.

Old 08-07-2007, 07:58 PM

7,909 posts, read 11,515,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliann1977 View Post
Goodness... As a former teacher (until a little over a year ago), I'd love to know who these teachers are earning six figures.

For a surefire plan to avoid basement dwelling, I'd become an investment banker or consultant waaaay before a teacher.
If you know any teachers here's one way to verify their salary

NJ Public School Search

Old 08-08-2007, 05:00 AM

5,618 posts, read 13,160,972 times
wow thanks for posting that web site with the teachers. I am in the Pascack Valley Regional School, Hillsdale , NJ and its out of control. Most make 90K and up!!!! This Hillsdale sucks. I know not all teachers make that much but keep passing the budgets and eventually they will!!!! Look I am not bashing teachers, its just so out of control and I am so happy I am leaving. I spent 5 days at my cabin and had a blast. My new neighbors came over and talked till 10 at night and people are just great in Plattsburgh area. I thank God my house sold . By the way I am not poor I could afford to stay but hate it here. I hate it here!!!!!!! thanks for the funny and informative posts Marilyn

Old 08-08-2007, 03:29 PM

44 posts, read 143,252 times
Default I love this saying...

Those who can do, do.
Those who cannot, teach.

(BTW, that was meant to no disrepect to teachers...I dated two of them, though in all fairness it was before they became teachers..........)

The Teachers Union is quite strong in the ways of the Force in NJ, though. I'm union myself, so I guess I'm in that group. (Though I would never teach unless it was a last resort.....)

Old 08-08-2007, 06:05 PM

329 posts, read 1,297,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBsr View Post
If you know any teachers here's one way to verify their salary

NJ Public School Search
Oh my! Using this site out of curiosity I entered my daughter's WORST teacher from the Middletown school district. I am going to be sick...This do-nothing, always on the internet, non-educator is earning $92k

Grrrrrrrrrrrr

p.s. There were many excellent ones, too

Old 08-09-2007, 09:15 AM

238 posts, read 660,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackofAllTrades View Post
Those who can do, do.
Those who cannot, teach.

(BTW, that was meant to no disrepect to teachers...I dated two of them, though in all fairness it was before they became teachers..........)

The Teachers Union is quite strong in the ways of the Force in NJ, though. I'm union myself, so I guess I'm in that group. (Though I would never teach unless it was a last resort.....)
I don't mean any offense, but that quote is probably the most derogatory thing you could say to someone who has devoted his/her life to making others' lives better. Whenever someone discusses "revitalizing" areas like Camden or Newark (as they often do on this board), a better educational system is usually stated as the best way to ensure long-term success. By insulting teachers, even with "no disrespect," you are really insulting a group of self-sacrificing, intelligent people who happened to think that it was more important to educate the next generation than to use their talent for personal promotion. In fact, the best teachers are those who are extremely proficient at and knowledgeable in their fields... how would you expect someone to teach something well if he/she wasn't an expert to begin with? The saying should be, "Those who can't do, teach poorly. Those who can do, teach well."

Granted, there are many, many bad teachers out there, and I have been subjected to sitting in classes under many of them. I am also not defending the Teacher's Union, which is just a big political machine. However, the success of a community is almost always linked to its education system, and to undermine the value of those behind that success is just absurd. Anybody who thinks that teaching is an easy job, or a job that doesn't somehow warrant its comparatively meager salary and benefits should really spend a day teaching 6 periods of 25 students each. It's a learning experience, and as a young teacher, I have the utmost respect for those teachers who have spent 30 or 40 years in the profession and are still continually focused on their students' success.

In any case, the real problem with all of the economically depressed cities in NJ that we are continually arguing about is the quality of education. How can Newark, Camden, Irvington (etc, etc, etc) ensure a renaissance? They have to attract qualified and committed teachers. The students in all of these communities, if educated, have a great potential to give back the community. More career teachers need to be coerced into "joining the club" in these areas, and not just in Princeton, Ridgewood, and Sparta.

I'm sorry to go on a rant here, but unless you have legitimate experience with this subject, you should show more respect to those people who spent hours in the classroom teaching you the three R's so that you could write coherent posts on the forum.

Old 08-09-2007, 11:35 AM

44 posts, read 143,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLizzie85 View Post
I don't mean any offense, but that quote is probably the most derogatory thing you could say to someone who has devoted his/her life to making others' lives better. Whenever someone discusses "revitalizing" areas like Camden or Newark (as they often do on this board), a better educational system is usually stated as the best way to ensure long-term success. By insulting teachers, even with "no disrespect," you are really insulting a group of self-sacrificing, intelligent people who happened to think that it was more important to educate the next generation than to use their talent for personal promotion. In fact, the best teachers are those who are extremely proficient at and knowledgeable in their fields... how would you expect someone to teach something well if he/she wasn't an expert to begin with? The saying should be, "Those who can't do, teach poorly. Those who can do, teach well."

Granted, there are many, many bad teachers out there, and I have been subjected to sitting in classes under many of them. I am also not defending the Teacher's Union, which is just a big political machine. However, the success of a community is almost always linked to its education system, and to undermine the value of those behind that success is just absurd. Anybody who thinks that teaching is an easy job, or a job that doesn't somehow warrant its comparatively meager salary and benefits should really spend a day teaching 6 periods of 25 students each. It's a learning experience, and as a young teacher, I have the utmost respect for those teachers who have spent 30 or 40 years in the profession and are still continually focused on their students' success.

In any case, the real problem with all of the economically depressed cities in NJ that we are continually arguing about is the quality of education. How can Newark, Camden, Irvington (etc, etc, etc) ensure a renaissance? They have to attract qualified and committed teachers. The students in all of these communities, if educated, have a great potential to give back the community. More career teachers need to be coerced into "joining the club" in these areas, and not just in Princeton, Ridgewood, and Sparta.

I'm sorry to go on a rant here, but unless you have legitimate experience with this subject, you should show more respect to those people who spent hours in the classroom teaching you the three R's so that you could write coherent posts on the forum.

Ummmm.....wow.

Honey, if 85 is the year of your birth, that puts you at what, 22? I honestly, to Christ, admire your response to that post, as it has fire and passion, two things that are needed in good teachers (even if you sound terribly naive). I believe many (NOT ALL) long-term teachers lack that fire and passion, and just see it as a guaranteed paycheck. Their pensions and salaries are more generous than many other civil servants...especially if you have a Masters. Thank the Teachers Union for that.

I may not have experience in this field, but I did involve myself with alot of friends (guys and girls) from two of the state's teacher's colleges and they tell me all about avoiding Abbott school systems. I used tell them, "Bro, take the hazard pay!", but their suburban ways simply wouldn't let them. One young punk I know just wants to make it to administration....don't give a damn about the kids and that's sad. Many did want Abbotts though, to "make a difference in a child's life". Those who told me that were definitely sincere.

I'm really not knocking teachers at all...like Police and Firemen, they are necessary for a community to function, lest we have children who can't read,
'rite, or do 'rithmatic. I'z needz ma edumacation fo' ma keeedz. LOL

And lastly, I truly apologize if I sounded offensive. I was truly trying to be funny and thought maybe I'd get a LOL or something....

Old 08-09-2007, 12:07 PM

2,866 posts, read 8,163,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliann1977 View Post

Julian, your moving where they do, Marlboro and Manalapan area. Someone posted on a political board from the town all the saleries. The key though is you have to know someone there to get a teaching position. Get into politics
there and I'm sure you will find that person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or