Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You Support NJ Senator Robert Menendez's push to legalize the illegal aliens
yes 12 16.22%
no 62 83.78%
other 0 0%
not sure 0 0%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 01:10 AM

10,181 posts, read 10,258,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
They can't get welfare , and most don't seem to need it.... I think it does have to with his race , ppl are assuming hes pandering to Hispanics to get votes.... Why do Americans seem to think that illegals get welfare?
I didn't say illegals got welfare.

I said IF YOU WANT WELFARE ...go work one of those jobs that illegals do in order to get your welfare.

He does pander to a certain group. No two ways about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2011, 01:43 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
I didn't say illegals got welfare.

I said IF YOU WANT WELFARE ...go work one of those jobs that illegals do in order to get your welfare.

He does pander to a certain group. No two ways about it.
Well so does every Politician , but it only seems when a minority does it that the people have issues with it.

Old 06-25-2011, 04:37 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,250,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
They can't get welfare , and most don't seem to need it.... I think it does have to with his race , ppl are assuming hes pandering to Hispanics to get votes.... Why do Americans seem to think that illegals get welfare?
I dont think that is what that poster was saying. But anyway, they dont get it in a traditional sense, but they certainly get expensive services at the cost of the tax payer. Every day, I have uninsured patients come through my ER who dont speak a word of English. Now I cant prove that they are illegal, nor do I ask, but I think it's a pretty good assumption that many of them are. There are hospitals in border states that have literally closed because all the patients were uninsured illegals. The state (i.e. the taxpayer) only pays a fraction of the cost while the health care providers eat the rest of the cost. A hospital cant stay in business very long when most of their patients treatment costs exceed the amount they get reimbursed. If you give these people citizenship, they will all be added to the Obamacare list, so it may help the hospitals, because they will probably get paid more than they do now, but the nation cant afford that huge expense.

Then you have education. In a state that has such an enormous property tax burden, much of it due to the education of poor children, why would you want to import MORE poor children who have no business being here, and who's parents dont pay a dime in taxes?

Then, as I said before, we have so many people who want to come to this country legally. These people would love the opportunity to mow our lawns and cook our meals. They stay on waiting lists for years and years. They could easily step in and take the place of the illegal aliens. What does it say to them when we just give a bunch of people who usurped our system, citizenship status? "We're sorry, you have to wait another decade because someone else took your spot. Yes, he snuck into our country, illegally, and broke our laws by staying here and working, but in America, that's the kind of person we want. Now go fill out some more forms, and dont call us, we'll call you."

Old 06-25-2011, 06:26 AM

50,788 posts, read 36,486,545 times
I didn't see anywhere where it said illegals would be moved to the head of the line of those waiting to get in legally, more that they would be forced to get in line in the first place, in the back of the line, but make it so they are out in the open and known to police, employers, neighbors, etc.:

"The bill includes measures to strengthen border security, enhance worksite enforcement of immigration laws, and requirements that the estimated 11 million undocumented immigrants present in the U.S. register with the government, pay their taxes, learn English, pay a fine, pass a background check, and wait in line for permanent residence.

The Comprehensive Immigration Reform Act of 2011 includes both a mandatory employment verification system and a program to require undocumented immigrants in the U.S. as of June 1, 2011 to register with the government, learn English, and pay fines and taxes on their way to becoming Americans.

The bill promotes effective and accountable enforcement within the U.S. through measures such as: additional resources for the Border Patrol; expanded penalties for passport and document fraud; new requirements for the Department of Homeland Security to track entries and exits at the border; common-sense rules governing detention to ensure U.S. citizens are not unlawfully detained; and new criminal penalties for fraud and misuse of Social Security numbers."

At least from this article on the bill, I don't see anything to object to, myself.

Old 06-25-2011, 06:49 AM

23,559 posts, read 17,227,205 times
"The bill includes measures to strengthen border security,"

That phrase is as relative and meaningless a term as can be written.

There is a threshold at which the level of border security would be effective. To strengthen the border security without reaching that threshold is to not achieve effective border security.

Without the sealed borders another 11 million would cross over illegally.

It would be easy to seal the southern border and to not do so demonstrates a political strategy to take advantage of the illegals, legals and US citizens.

Menendez does not serve all the people as his perspective is too narrow.
He is a career politician whose main focus is cultivating votes for re-election. That may be a political standard but it is less acceptable when that strategy becomes the main focus of an elected representative.

Old 06-25-2011, 07:06 AM

20,335 posts, read 19,925,039 times
Quote:
Do You Support NJ Senator Robert Menendez's push to legalize the illegal aliens
Of course not. How would the US benefit by this?

Old 06-25-2011, 08:32 AM

50,788 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Of course not. How would the US benefit by this?

"The bill includes measures to strengthen border security, enhance worksite enforcement of immigration laws, and requirements that the estimated 11 million undocumented immigrants present in the U.S. register with the government, pay their taxes, learn English, pay a fine, pass a background check, and wait in line for permanent residence."

How would it not? I'd be happy just with the requirement included that immigrants have to learn to speak English.

Old 06-25-2011, 08:48 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,647,591 times
No, I do not!

It is so much trouble trying to find a company that does not use illegal aliens for work, such as fencing, plumbing, etc.

Right now I'm trying to find a roofing company that does not use them. I wonder what my chances are of finding such a company? Not too good, I am sure. One company says all their employees are bonded and insured. I don't know for sure, but being bonded means there has been a background check. I'll probably have to be a biotch and want to see the paperwork.

The fencing company I used swore up and down that they did not use illegal labor and that all their employees spoke English. LIE. And the workmanship was horrible. I had to have them back two more times to fix things.

I'm sick of it. There are so many Americans who need work right now. I feel like a traitor to my country just because I need work done on my house!

Old 06-25-2011, 08:51 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,828,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At_Last_2009 View Post
Do You Support NJ Senator Robert Menendez's push to legalize the illegal aliens
I support a push to strip Menendez of HIS citizenship.

Old 06-25-2011, 09:20 AM

1,759 posts, read 2,029,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
No, I do not!

It is so much trouble trying to find a company that does not use illegal aliens for work, such as fencing, plumbing, etc.

Right now I'm trying to find a roofing company that does not use them. I wonder what my chances are of finding such a company? Not too good, I am sure. One company says all their employees are bonded and insured. I don't know for sure, but being bonded means there has been a background check. I'll probably have to be a biotch and want to see the paperwork.

The fencing company I used swore up and down that they did not use illegal labor and that all their employees spoke English. LIE. And the workmanship was horrible. I had to have them back two more times to fix things.

I'm sick of it. There are so many Americans who need work right now. I feel like a traitor to my country just because I need work done on my house!
Why don't you contact ICE while they are there?

Also, you let them know while they are there that ICE is coming by (even if they aren't) "just to make sure" and when they scatter you know they (and their employer) are guilty.

That is when you REALLY need to contact ICE.

If you have probs w/ ICE, you start writing letters to the newspaper, naming the company, and also to state reps. Yes, including Menedez. Include in the newspaper letter exactly what Menedez's response is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: