Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 08:35 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,074,799 times

Advertisements

I bet you dollars to donuts that Christie will be on his wife's HC plan when the law goes through. Another one of his "shared sacrifices."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2011, 08:51 PM

1,787 posts, read 5,746,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bababua View Post
Honestly I dont even know where to start.

First of all houses in Arizona cost $5.
2nd nobody wants to live in Arizona.
3rd Shop at goodwill? Are you proud of this. Dont we live in the United States? I dont want state workers to be poor, do you?
I shop at Goodwill, Macy's, and Lord and Taylor. There's nothing wrong with shopping at Goodwill to save money or to find something vintage or an antique that someone put on a shelf. I'm proud that I don't care if I see someone that I know while in Goodwill; who cares?

Old 06-26-2011, 09:09 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,046,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bababua View Post
I am not here to argue but when taxes go down please let me know and send me the memo. You know as well as I do that taxes wont go down. Dems help one set of people and bash another. Rep help one group of people and bash another. Money will not be handing back to the "taxpayer" of NJ just because. What will happen is money will be shifted around. I hate to be the bearer of bad new but anyone with half of brain knows that. If you are an average NJ citizen this deal will have very very little effect on how much you pay in taxes.
For one thing I dont disagree with this bill but I do like the new democratic budget which will "bring back" the millionaires tax. If people (public worker) can pay 200 to 500 a month more, surely the rich can pay a few more dollars to help us all out.
Most on the left are dealing with 1/2 a brain, so I'm not surprised that they realize that no matter how much revenue comes in, the politicians will find a way to spend it.

I never expect to see my property taxes go down, but this is a good start toward stabilizing them.

Doing nothing is not the answer.

Raising taxes on millionaires is a ridiculous plan.

They already pay the lions share of the tax bill, not only locally, but nationally.

It's a scapegoating plan which takes the overspending, wasteful politicians off the hook.

"It's not us....if only those "fat cats" over there would pay their fair share, everything would be okay!"

Old 06-26-2011, 09:15 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,046,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
I bet you dollars to donuts that Christie will be on his wife's HC plan when the law goes through. Another one of his "shared sacrifices."
So what?

Old 06-26-2011, 09:24 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,848,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Most on the left are dealing with 1/2 a brain, so I'm not surprised that they realize that no matter how much revenue comes in, the politicians will find a way to spend it.

I never expect to see my property taxes go down, but this is a good start toward stabilizing them.

They already pay the lions share of the tax bill, not only locally, but nationally.

It's a scapegoating plan which takes the overspending, wasteful politicians off the hook.

"It's not us....if only those "fat cats" over there would pay their fair share, everything would be okay!"
Why , there not going to leave. Look at Long Island and Manhattan....and California...they not those places why would NJ be any different? They can afford it , the Middle Class should not be hit with tax hike after tax hike , while the Rich for the most part get nothing.

Old 06-26-2011, 10:08 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,074,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post

Polls have shown that rich people come to NJ for:

- Access to NYC's high-paying jobs,
- Good schools and safe neighborhoods - both of which are going in the wrong direction under Krispie's rule
- Then they worry about taxes

Their federal tax rates are quite low historically and capital gains are taxed at 15% which is really low. They have nothing to complain about if you look at the enormous share of the wealth that they now control compared to just 30 years ago. The 400 richest families in America are worth more than $1 trillion combined. That's proof that we should INCREASE the "death" tax, not decrease it

Old 06-26-2011, 02:06 PM

1,931 posts, read 3,413,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh5 View Post
I shop at Goodwill, Macy's, and Lord and Taylor. There's nothing wrong with shopping at Goodwill to save money or to find something vintage or an antique that someone put on a shelf. I'm proud that I don't care if I see someone that I know while in Goodwill; who cares?
Umm I dont care at all. I shop anywhere that I can find something cheap. Be it flea market,Kmart,Target whatever. What I was saying is being for public workers being forced to shop at thrift stores is no badge of honor for our country. I don't want the public sector workers to have to shop at a thrift store.

Old 06-27-2011, 10:45 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Why , there not going to leave. Look at Long Island and Manhattan....and California...they not those places why would NJ be any different? They can afford it , the Middle Class should not be hit with tax hike after tax hike , while the Rich for the most part get nothing.
who cares if you think they can afford it? they earned their money, they should be allowed to keep it just like everyone else. government and people who earn less shouldnt be trying to grab people's money because they believe those people can afford to give it away to them.

Old 06-27-2011, 11:15 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
who cares if you think they can afford it? they earned their money, they should be allowed to keep it just like everyone else. government and people who earn less shouldnt be trying to grab people's money because they believe those people can afford to give it away to them.
And they are paying more anyway. Make more money. Pay more taxes. And most likely do not take up more gov't resources than someone paying less. And probably take up way less than people paying nothing.

Old 06-27-2011, 04:43 PM

858 posts, read 2,993,060 times
My one disappointment in this is that the unions want to challenge this in court instead of accepting it's about time that NJ public workers paid their fair share.

I was also surprised to see that current retirees and those with 20 year or more will continue to receive free health benefits for life in retirement; would have it been too much for them to pay a little something. As for retirement contributions, I as a federal employee have been contributing 7% for decades, so don't understand why state public workers are complaining about the modest increase; who do they think is going to keep the fund afloat? A typical retiree recoups all he contributed into the retirement fund during the first 2-3 years of retirement, after that it's on the government to fund.

I'm going to catch a lot of flack for this, but collective bargaining really has no place in public sector jobs. The federal government for the most part does not have collective bargaining, nor should it or any public sector. Think about it, there is really no one at the bargaining table to protect the public's interest. Collective bargaining works in private industry as the company only has so much profit to bargain with or it goes out of business like the "big 3" almost did; however, Unions contribute to the politicians and promise them the public worker vote, and the politicians pander to the union and members, and give them benefits like a premium health plan with $10-$15 copays, and 15 holidays.

I have nothing against unions in general, as I belong to one. I have nothing against public workers as I am one, but the unions and public workers in this state and many other states have run us into a fiscal and unsustainable mess. Yes, so have many other state entitlements, and hopefully they will get them fixed too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey