Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2011, 10:52 AM

3 posts, read 9,460 times

Advertisements

Hi. I am interested in buying a house in Cumberland County,NJ. I still have to drive to Harlem since I work and go to school there. Do you think that it would be possible for me to drive to and from NJ & Harlem? How long would to take to me to drive? Are there any specific routes I should take? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 12:06 PM
Mej

24 posts, read 53,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Massiekur View Post
Hi. I am interested in buying a house in Cumberland County,NJ. I still have to drive to Harlem since I work and go to school there. Do you think that it would be possible for me to drive to and from NJ & Harlem? How long would to take to me to drive? Are there any specific routes I should take? Thank you.

Yes, this is totally possible – as long as you drive on an occassional basis (like, once every 3 months or so). It's a 2.5 hour ride, one way.

Old 06-24-2011, 02:14 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,990,645 times
Being in Cumberland County, NJ You have 2 primary choices to commuting to New York. You can take the New Jersey Turnpike to the west or the Garden State Parkway to the east. Either way like "Mej" said you will have a commute of about 2.5 hours one way and about 5 hours both ways. I would not recommend using mass transit since mass transit in South Jersey not that good compared to Northern New Jersey. Also their are no commuter rail lines running through Cumberland County yet, so you will definitely need a car.

Old 06-24-2011, 06:32 PM

50,721 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Why would you want to add this tremendous expense and time to what sounds like an already very busy life? It will probably cost you $25 a day just in tolls let alone gas, and when would you even have time to enjoy your house? Why not first look into transferring to Rowan or Stockton and looking for a job down here (maybe the colleges can help you if it's a student job and not FT). Can I ask why you want to buy this home right now?

Old 06-24-2011, 10:29 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,528,381 times
cumberland county? i don't think you can go any further south in jersey. why not compromise and live in burlington or somerset county or something?

Old 06-24-2011, 10:46 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
cumberland county? i don't think you can go any further south in jersey. why not compromise and live in burlington or somerset county or something?
Actually, you can. Cape May County.

Old 06-25-2011, 04:52 AM

19,116 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Whatever you might save by buying a cheaper house in Cumberland County would soon be eaten up by the cost of gas and tolls for this daily 5 hour round-trip commute. Additionally, as someone already stated--When would you actually have time to enjoy your house if you are spening a minimum of 5 hrs per day in your car?

And, whenever there is a day of heavy rain, you can assume that your commute will take even longer. A snowy day? Forget about a one-way drive in less than 3 1/2-4 hours.

Then, factor in the reality that you will likely need to replace your car every 3 or 4 years, given the incredible mileage that you will be logging in that car. The cost of more frequent car purchases (coupled with gas, maintenance, and toll expenses) will make a "bargain house" in southern NJ much more costly in the long run than one in the more expensive central NJ area.

Personally, I don't see someone being able to keep up this type of commuting schedule for more than a few months before becoming totally worn out and very much frustrated by never having any free time as a result of that incredible commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: