Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you agree with Gov. Chris Christie to not OK gay marriage bill in NJ?
Yes, Marriage is between "Husband and Wife" 20 27.03%
No, Christie is totally wrong ! 52 70.27%
Not sure, but we should vote like NY did 2 2.70%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 04:06 PM

346 posts, read 498,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
it does come from religion and it is the best way to raise children.

you randomly wrote "separation of church and state" as a sentence. that makes no sense.
I agree with the others that you are closed minded and ignorant, and it just keeps coming.... and that you need to pick apart a phrase I wrote "Separation of church and State" is ridiculous, and again obnoxious.

"It's the best way to raise children." That is only in your opinion- not everyone else's across the board.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 04:20 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,884,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherLynn822 View Post
LOL, I am sorry, but 'bombarding you'....?
Did we all sent you private emails or did you not open this post and read it by your own free will....?

lol, no, but I do go to college, and the amount of crap that gets shoved in my face there drives me nuts. I just needed a public forum to vent/complain about how often it is (since those are not shoved into my face, unlike the private emails and pamphlets that I have received in the past)

also, Captain NJ, are you calling me a liberal or complaining about them?

Old 06-28-2011, 04:42 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,288,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Marriage is sanctioned by society to support stabilization. Reduces fights for mates, provides male and female perspective and behaviors. Ensures economic, social and personal security for offspring as well as a member of society in training.

It also sanctioned and promoted by religion which also serves to provide stability.

With divorce rates so high society has become destabilzed but still a worthy goal.

Tradition defines marriage as a union between a man and woman and the ideal partnership to benefit society. Why can't that remain an undiluted ideal and goal of society?

If a civil union grants legal rights to a spouse why the push for 'marriage'?

Is the argument over terminology, political issues or legal issues?

Gay used to refer to a happy individual but somehow that word got hijacked. Hope it doesn't happen to the word marriage.

Go find another legal term for same sex marriage and call it a day.

Would voters foresake CC and dash the best hope of recovery NJ has had for generations based on a single issue? That is more than likely the time honored selfishness that has degraded NJ for generations. Keep up the good work.
Separate but equal. Bigotry didn't work for race, why would it work here?

Old 06-28-2011, 06:49 PM

1,787 posts, read 5,746,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherLynn822 View Post
Not so much. Sorry my friend.
History of Marriage in Western Civilization
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherLynn822
And marriage most certainly does come from government. It was first introduced as a way for men to declare women their property.

I can't find anywhere in the link you posted that shows marriage was used as a way for men to declare women their property.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
given the history of referendums on this issue it seems like the legislators that vote against gay marriage are better representing their constituents than people who vote in favor of it.

let the citizens vote on it instead of forcing politicians to take positions on politically sensitive issues and making back room deals and arm bending.
Agree.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:28 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,075,143 times
Newt Gingrich is a big defender of "traditional" marriage. And he speaks from experience, he cheated on 2 different spouses and is on wife #3!

Old 06-28-2011, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
NJ passing a law is not going to make those religions all of a sudden accept gay marriage.
Would the new law give people the right to sue religious institutions for discrimination and allow all people to get married in churches, if they wanted?

Old 06-28-2011, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Which leads up back to earlier points. In NJ, what benefits are married couples getting that coules in a civil union are not getting?
In NJ, the word marriage says man and woman. Civil union automatically says gay and that may lead to discrimination. So, wouldn't the word "marriage" be a benefit?

Old 06-28-2011, 08:17 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh5 View Post
Would the new law give people the right to sue religious institutions for discrimination and allow all people to get married in churches, if they wanted?
I can't fathom that. It's not like there aren't other groups of people who the Church won't marry.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:19 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh5 View Post
In NJ, the word marriage says man and woman. Civil union automatically says gay and that may lead to discrimination. So, wouldn't the word "marriage" be a benefit?
I'm pretty sure someone can tell if two people are the same sex regardless of what you call it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey