Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you agree with Gov. Chris Christie to not OK gay marriage bill in NJ?
Yes, Marriage is between "Husband and Wife" 20 27.03%
No, Christie is totally wrong ! 52 70.27%
Not sure, but we should vote like NY did 2 2.70%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 02:27 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
what does the government have to do with your right to marry the person you love? do you need barack obama (or any government official) to see that you love someone to make it official? what im saying is that the purpose of government taking a position on personal relationships is to encourage two parent heterosexual families as the best way to raise children for the future of our country. if that isnt the case, then there is no need for government to be involved with marriages.
with a divorce rate of 50%, how's that working out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 02:28 PM

861 posts, read 2,717,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
what does the government have to do with your right to marry the person you love? do you need barack obama (or any government official) to see that you love someone to make it official? what im saying is that the purpose of government taking a position on personal relationships is to encourage two parent heterosexual families as the best way to raise children for the future of our country. if that isnt the case, then there is no need for government to be involved with marriages.
Well I definitely agree with you there.... church and state need to stay out of people's personal relationships, and all people should be free to marry the person they love.

Old 06-27-2011, 02:30 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
with a divorce rate of 50%, how's that working out?
i saw that coming. but i still think it works out a lot better than single parents. i believe ive seen stats on income of single parents vs married and the school performance and they werent favorable. it will take me some time to find that data unless i get lucky (cant search right now though).

but it still doesnt change the point that im making. once you arent supporting something that is supposedly better for society, whats the point in government getting involved in personal relationships then?

Old 06-27-2011, 03:09 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,285,888 times
How did this man get elected in your state?

I also just went on his Wikipedia page and this is what popped up:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/197/chrischristie.png/

Old 06-27-2011, 03:14 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,976,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

OK that is so wrong, but I still chuckled.

Old 06-27-2011, 03:21 PM

807 posts, read 1,032,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

That's funny. And to answer your question, I have no idea. During his campaign, it was impossible to tell what he stood for and what he wanted to do. He had no plan whatsoever, at least one that he didn't want to share.

So in the short time he has been governor, he has done nothing to help the people of NJ. We still have high unemployment and have the slowest job growth of any state in the country.

His agenda is clearly for the rich, he wants to take apart one of the best school systems in the country by privatization so his rich cronies can get more of our tax money. Oh, and our taxes continue to rise. He cut $30 million from child care facilities, yet gave $200 million to develop a mall at the Meadowlands.

He cries about 'shared sacrifices, yet refuses to increase the taxes on the rich, but has no problem increasing the taxes of the middle class by making public workers pay more for their health and pensions. Pensions that the state has not made contributions for decades.

Truly, the man makes me sick.

Old 06-27-2011, 03:23 PM

18,458 posts, read 15,236,363 times
Christie is wrong on this one. I agree with those that said that the government really has no business getting involved any marriages, but as long as they are sanctioning heterosexual marriages, it is only fair that they sanction homosexual marriages too. You can't dictate morality unless that morality is somehow harming a third party.

Old 06-27-2011, 04:02 PM

2,499 posts, read 2,625,469 times
Captain- marriage is not about bearing children or else infertile couples marriages would also not be sanctioned.

Old 06-27-2011, 05:46 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred44 View Post
That's funny. And to answer your question, I have no idea. During his campaign, it was impossible to tell what he stood for and what he wanted to do. He had no plan whatsoever, at least one that he didn't want to share.

So in the short time he has been governor, he has done nothing to help the people of NJ. We still have high unemployment and have the slowest job growth of any state in the country.

His agenda is clearly for the rich, he wants to take apart one of the best school systems in the country by privatization so his rich cronies can get more of our tax money. Oh, and our taxes continue to rise. He cut $30 million from child care facilities, yet gave $200 million to develop a mall at the Meadowlands.

He cries about 'shared sacrifices, yet refuses to increase the taxes on the rich, but has no problem increasing the taxes of the middle class by making public workers pay more for their health and pensions. Pensions that the state has not made contributions for decades.

Truly, the man makes me sick.
Do you honestly think things would be any better under someone else? The state is a disaster. At least some things are moving in the right direction.

Old 06-27-2011, 06:02 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1944 View Post
Captain- marriage is not about bearing children or else infertile couples marriages would also not be sanctioned.
thats not a good point. but im sure you were soooo proud of yourself for thinking of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey