U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Do you agree with Gov. Chris Christie to not OK gay marriage bill in NJ?
Yes, Marriage is between "Husband and Wife" 20 27.78%
No, Christie is totally wrong ! 50 69.44%
Not sure, but we should vote like NY did 2 2.78%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-28-2011, 11:04 AM
 
Location: NJ
17,580 posts, read 19,092,950 times
Reputation: 15351
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i dont think women can become knights. you stay at home and make babies. what, now you want equal rights?

ive never fought a woman but they seem way too weak to be knights. my mother in law cant even do 1 pushup, if me and her had a swordfight id hand her her own ass in 2 seconds.
I'm sure my wife could probably kick some ass. But that should have no bearing on me becoming a night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-28-2011, 11:06 AM
 
572 posts, read 933,862 times
Reputation: 307
Loved It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherLynn822 View Post
Top 10 Reasons Gay Marriage is "Wrong":

1) Being gay is not natural. Real Americans always reject unnatural things like eyeglasses, polyester, and air conditioning.

2) Gay marriage will encourage people to be gay, in the same way that hanging around tall people will make you tall.

3) Legalizing gay marriage will open the door to all kinds of crazy behavior. People may even wish to marry their pets because a dog has legal standing and can sign a marriage contract.

4) Straight marriage has been around a long time and hasn't changed at all; women are still property, blacks still can't marry whites, and divorce is still illegal.

5) Straight marriage will be less meaningful if gay marriage were allowed; the sanctity of Brittany Spears' 55-hour just-for-fun marriage would be destroyed.

6) Straight marriages are valid because they produce children. Gay couples, infertile couples, and old people shouldn't be allowed to marry because our orphanages aren't full yet, and the world needs more children.

7) Obviously gay parents will raise gay children, since straight parents only raise straight children.

8) Gay marriage is not supported by religion. In a theocracy like ours, the values of one religion are imposed on the entire country. That's why we have only one religion in America.

9) Children can never succeed without a male and a female role model at home. That's why we as a society expressly forbid single parents to raise children.

10) Gay marriage will change the foundation of society; we could never adapt to new social norms. Just like we haven't adapted to cars, the service-sector economy, or longer life spans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2011, 11:10 AM
 
572 posts, read 933,862 times
Reputation: 307
I disagree. I know plenty of gay parents that are much more loving and stable then some of my heterosexual friends. Just because one is capable of procreating does not mean they should...and just because a couple is not able to pro-create does not mean that they can not foster a loving and nurturing home for adopted children.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
im not christian. but i do believe that the only purpose behind government sanctioning marriage is because the best way to raise children is heterosexual two parents families.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2011, 11:14 AM
 
825 posts, read 1,387,363 times
Reputation: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCK7778 View Post
You are mistaking the religious eeasons for marriage with the governments reason for marriage.

In a religious marriage the point is to bear children....the government does not care if you bear children or not. Marriage does not come straight from religion...and if that is how you want to play it, then all legally recognized unions should be civil unions and if you want to get "married" you can have a seperate religious (but not legal) ceremony for the church to recognize it.

Who are you to say that 2 people who love each other should not be afforded the same rights as heterosexuals?
Well stated! Couldn't have said it better myself, and believe me I tried!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2011, 11:16 AM
 
Location: NJ
17,580 posts, read 19,092,950 times
Reputation: 15351
Does someone know exactly what "rights" we are talking about? What would be the difference between a "marriage" and a "civil union"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2011, 11:37 AM
 
825 posts, read 1,387,363 times
Reputation: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Does someone know exactly what "rights" we are talking about? What would be the difference between a "marriage" and a "civil union"?
For one thing, marriages are not recognized on the federal level..... civil unions are not. So couples in a civil union can not file jointly on their federal taxes. This also impacts social security death benefits. Also, not all health insurance companies honor joint benefit options for couples in a civil union, where as they do for marriages.

Last edited by HeatherLynn822; 06-28-2011 at 11:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2011, 11:50 AM
 
Location: NJ
17,580 posts, read 19,092,950 times
Reputation: 15351
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherLynn822 View Post
For one thing, marriages are recognized on the federal level..... civil unions are not. So couples in a civil union can not file jointly on their federal taxes. This also impacts social security death benefits. Also, not all health insurance companies honor joint benefit options for couples in a civil union, where as they do for marriages.
I didn't think same sex marriages were recognized at all at the Federal level regardless of what states recognize.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2011, 11:53 AM
 
258 posts, read 175,985 times
Reputation: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
what is with the nutjobs on this topic? thats what happens when you let emotions rule your thought process. how can you tell me in one sentence "marriage does not come from religion" and then the next sentence say "certainly not in this day and age"?

also, why did you make a sentence that just says "separation of church and state"? thats not in the constitution.
What are you even talking about? Marriage does not come from religion, and you were insisting it is. And by your saying that separation of church and state isn't in the constitution- what exactly is your point, other than to be obnoxious? Do we live in a theocracy?

Quote:
You are mistaking the religious eeasons for marriage with the governments reason for marriage.
JCK7778, thank you- you articulated this better than I did.

Furthermore, people who think gays deserve the same rights as everyone else are not "nutjobs" and it's getting really old when you accuse me and others of "letting emotions rule thought process" and making other insulting statements when you're disagreed with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2011, 11:55 AM
 
825 posts, read 1,387,363 times
Reputation: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I didn't think same sex marriages were recognized at all at the Federal level regardless of what states recognize.
You are correct... they are not. Thats probably the biggest difference between marriages & civil unions. (My bad for the typo... fixed it.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2011, 11:56 AM
 
Location: NJ
17,580 posts, read 19,092,950 times
Reputation: 15351
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherLynn822 View Post
You are correct... they are not. Thats probably the biggest difference between marriages & civil unions.
I probably should have been more clear. I was really talking about NJ and what impact there would be for someone between a civil union and a marriage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:06 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top