Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you agree with Gov. Chris Christie to not OK gay marriage bill in NJ?
Yes, Marriage is between "Husband and Wife" 20 27.03%
No, Christie is totally wrong ! 52 70.27%
Not sure, but we should vote like NY did 2 2.70%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 08:24 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyyRes View Post
"I believe marriage should be between one man and one woman. I am not a fan of same-sex marriage. That's my view and that'll be the view of our state, because I wouldn't sign a bill like the one that was in New York."
A governor who imposes his personal beliefs on the whole state. All I can say is, too bad I don't live in New Jersey, because I would've loved the opportunity to cast a vote against him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 08:34 AM

23,550 posts, read 17,227,205 times
Marriage is sanctioned by society to support stabilization. Reduces fights for mates, provides male and female perspective and behaviors. Ensures economic, social and personal security for offspring as well as a member of society in training.

It also sanctioned and promoted by religion which also serves to provide stability.

With divorce rates so high society has become destabilzed but still a worthy goal.

Tradition defines marriage as a union between a man and woman and the ideal partnership to benefit society. Why can't that remain an undiluted ideal and goal of society?

If a civil union grants legal rights to a spouse why the push for 'marriage'?

Is the argument over terminology, political issues or legal issues?

Gay used to refer to a happy individual but somehow that word got hijacked. Hope it doesn't happen to the word marriage.

Go find another legal term for same sex marriage and call it a day.

Would voters foresake CC and dash the best hope of recovery NJ has had for generations based on a single issue? That is more than likely the time honored selfishness that has degraded NJ for generations. Keep up the good work.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:34 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
A governor who imposes his personal beliefs on the whole state. All I can say is, too bad I don't live in New Jersey, because I would've loved the opportunity to cast a vote against him.
You could say the same thing about all the democrats who voted no for this in 2010. Would you have cast a vote against them and put more republicans in control?

Old 06-28-2011, 08:38 AM

2,535 posts, read 6,667,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post

Would voters foresake CC and dash the best hope of recovery NJ has had for generations based on a single issue? That is more than likely the time honored selfishness that has degraded NJ for generations. Keep up the good work.
While I don't agree with the top half, your closing is very well put!

Old 06-28-2011, 08:40 AM

1,202 posts, read 3,029,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
no, you may choose to separate it from religion but im pretty sure marriage comes from religion and the purpose was to have traditional families and raise many children.
A particular religion may have a definition of what they declare to be marriage but that doesn't mean every single religion defines it the same way. And there have always been people who choose not to follow a religion and still define marriage on their own terms. You cannot use religion to define laws for all.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:41 AM

861 posts, read 2,718,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Tradition defines marriage as a union between a man and woman and the ideal partnership to benefit society. Why can't that remain an undiluted ideal and goal of society?
"Traditionally" slavery was legal, women couldn't vote, you were allowed to beat your wife & children with anything thinner than the width of your thumb, and and alcohol was outlawed. Some things are meant to change with the times.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:47 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenaperture View Post
A particular religion may have a definition of what they declare to be marriage but that doesn't mean every single religion defines it the same way. And there have always been people who choose not to follow a religion and still define marriage on their own terms. You cannot use religion to define laws for all.
you are talking out of your rear end. marriage doesnt come from government, it comes from religion. you cant just change history because of your own personal beliefs.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:49 AM

Quote:
you are talking out of your rear end. marriage doesnt come from government, it comes from religion. you cant just change history because of your own personal beliefs.
So, which religion, specifically, should all marriages model themselves after....? There's Catholicism which dictates marriage is for 1 man + 1 woman.... but then the Mormons have sects where one man can have many wives. So tell me, which one religion should we as a society base the concept of marriage on?

Old 06-28-2011, 08:51 AM

Quote:
And marriage most certainly does come from government. It was first introduced as a way for men to declare women their property.
(And what do you know, we've changed our definition since then! So who's to say it should not keep updating as the times do?)

Old 06-28-2011, 08:52 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherLynn822 View Post
So, which religion, specifically, should all marriages model themselves after....? There's Catholicism which dictates marriage is for 1 man + 1 woman.... but then the Mormons have sects where one man can have many wives. So tell me, which one religion should we as a society base the concept of marriage on?
what is with these ridiculous thoughts that people want to propose here? im not interested in some random debate on possible issues people have with marriage. this is america, go with christianity not mormonism. thats the basis of our countries morality. im not saying everyone has to buy into it, but that is where it comes from. it is why government sanctions marriage between a man and a woman.

you can change things going forward (and that seems to be whats happening) but you cant rewrite history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey