Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 09:10 PM

337 posts, read 1,023,679 times

Advertisements

....always speed up and "close the gap" when you signal to change into their lane? I'm a CT resident and I actually really enjoy NJ. I was down at the shore this weekend, and I noticed this super-rude behavior everywhere on the GSP. I'm not the kind of guy who signals for .1ms and then swerves into the next lane--I signal, wait a few seconds, and then move over. What I noticed was that tons of drivers in NJ will, when they see you signal, immediately speed up to prevent you from changing lanes. Very annoying when you're trying to reach an exit lane!

Sorry, this is more of a rant than anything. Do you do this? Do you know others who do this? What the heck is the point, other than being 1 car length ahead in traffic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 09:12 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,210,835 times
Mostly because they're jerks. Remember, using your turn signals is tantamount to giving information to the enemy.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:16 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,250,426 times
We only do that to cars with CT license plates.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:17 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,141,127 times
Being from CT you have no room to complain about driving.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:21 PM

213 posts, read 520,210 times
That happened to me in DC this weekend and it was a local driver. Couldn't believe it, she literally tried to force me to sit on the white line while people on my other side were already moving into the space I made. I'm from Jersey and drive in Manhattan all the time so I forced my way in and wouldn't back down but she followed me for miles giving me the finger the whole way.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:55 PM

1,202 posts, read 3,029,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastinshow View Post
That happened to me in DC this weekend and it was a local driver. Couldn't believe it, she literally tried to force me to sit on the white line while people on my other side were already moving into the space I made. I'm from Jersey and drive in Manhattan all the time so I forced my way in and wouldn't back down but she followed me for miles giving me the finger the whole way.
Joke's on her, she lives in DC...

Old 06-27-2011, 10:29 PM

7 posts, read 17,870 times
Wasn't there recently a thread complaining about how Pennsylvania drivers do this (with the inference that Jersey drivers don't).

As a practical matter, you are more likely to find this on congested roads which NJ sure has plenty of.

Old 06-27-2011, 11:29 PM

286 posts, read 851,207 times
That is why we turn our signals on .1ms before we change lanes. Because the turn signal only warns other drivers to do their best not to let you in.

Same reason that you try to turn left and even when the light turns yellow, the other drivers do their best not to let you turn.

Welcome to NJ.

Old 06-28-2011, 04:32 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,474,703 times
I find this when I'm driving in the right lane and I need to pass, and no one in the left lane will let me in. This is mainly a problem Fridays in the summer coming home from work on 55 when the road is packed. It's annoying, because this is the reason many people end up saying "screw it, I'll just stay in the left lane" once they make it into that exclusive club! If we want people to keep right pass left, then we can't deliberately block them when they DO need to pass.

I want to say, sometimes there is a long line to get off an exit (like to get on the 295 north ramp from 42 north at rush hour) and some people try to go around everyone and then cut into the ramp lane much farther up...in that case I think they deserve to be blocked. It s very frustrating when I'm waiting in line like a good girl and all these other people try to cheat!

Old 06-28-2011, 06:00 AM

177 posts, read 447,885 times
If you can't get over, slow down till you can, that's what I do, I don't care if it stops traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey