U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 09:02 PM

537 posts, read 1,540,116 times

Advertisements

I have had some great advice here. I am so happy to her from others that have been in my position. I am even more concerned about moving and the adjustment for my children. I am curious though wht is the attraction to Atlanta? It seems that everyone from the Northeast wants to move to the South and people from the West want to move East. Maybe its just the threads I am reading. I have learned that every place has its own set of problems. Right now we still have time to do some research unlike the last time we were offered a job back there. I think we are leaning toward the Princeton area. It is funny though that the people from New Jersey always mention congestion and crowding. That would not be a huge shock for us as we both travel th 405 freeway during rush hour.Yikes!
The weather is what concerns me the most I think. How do you So Cal people adjust to that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2007, 04:27 AM

9,124 posts, read 30,925,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oc2nyc View Post
I have had some great advice here. I am so happy to her from others that have been in my position. I am even more concerned about moving and the adjustment for my children. I am curious though wht is the attraction to Atlanta? It seems that everyone from the Northeast wants to move to the South and people from the West want to move East. Maybe its just the threads I am reading. I have learned that every place has its own set of problems. Right now we still have time to do some research unlike the last time we were offered a job back there. I think we are leaning toward the Princeton area. It is funny though that the people from New Jersey always mention congestion and crowding. That would not be a huge shock for us as we both travel th 405 freeway during rush hour.Yikes!
The weather is what concerns me the most I think. How do you So Cal people adjust to that?
I think alot of the allure of the South is the fact that you can get a beautiful, new home in a great subdivision, without having to work two jobs just to pay the property taxes. Granted, you have to make sure that you're moving down with a trade/career that is needed here and that still pays well, but that's just common sense (or one would think.....lol).

Regarding the traffic, Atlanta is as bad, if not worse, than NJ, and almost as bad as SoCal. If you live in an outlying county like we do and have to work downtown, you're looking at an hour minimum commute during rush hour, and 1.5-2 if there's an accident, etc. Luckily, my schedule lets me avoid the rush in the morning (and some afternoons), even if I did have a 1.5 hour commute, at least I'm coming home to something nice rather than spending 1.5 hours to get home to a 50 y/o, 3BR cape in a so-so area.......

For some, though, just the thought of giving up the great pizza and bagels (heaven forbid!) is enough to keep them in NJ. It would have taken far more than that to lock me down.....lol.

Bob

Old 08-09-2007, 09:35 AM

1,341 posts, read 4,134,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oc2nyc View Post
The weather: How do you So Cal people adjust to that?
****sigh**** we dont. And you have not felt humidity till you have been here..let me put it this way..it was 95 degrees...okay No Big Deal right...well its WET HUMID heat..so like when you walk outside your door...you need to take a shower with the brow sweat that appears within 30 seconds. The heat index was 105 degrees yesterday.

At least in so cal its dry heat...there is a HUGE difference.

And winters..I think there is no place like december..or that first touch of snow or going to the city and seeing the tree. But lets talk about wet slush thru april this year (no joke)....Jan and Feb are by far the most depressing and coldests months out here. Of course there are exceptions...some winters are mild..some arent.

But you know what...I would drive the crush thanhave to deal with -20 (windchills) factor in can happen in the winter.

Plus I truly believe that warmer weather is just better for your own body and kids..kids want to be outside playing (even if its scheduled playdates and such)...I have to say..that I see more overweight children because kids stay inside so much during the colder months..and they just watch tv and dont do things that are active.

Back home...even if you had scheduled playdates, the weather was condusive enough to just want to "be out of the house"...throw on shorts and a tshirt and take the kids to the park".

I trully feel that way....and I am not knocking the tri-state..but I think warmer weather allows people to go outside more ------- whcih encourages more excercize as well.

As far as Atlanta....My dh has an office there..and in Charlotte....but I have heard that Atlanta is more IT orientated and more modern and liberal..of course I could be wrong.

Old 08-09-2007, 02:11 PM

1,289 posts, read 5,266,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
General rule of thumb - the further from NYC, the less hustle and bustle.
I can agree with you on that one. There is always still a little bit but nothing like if you were living in Hoboken or Fort Lee.

Old 08-09-2007, 03:33 PM

537 posts, read 1,540,116 times
Thanks for all the honesty here, it helps tremedously. I am very aware of the difference in the weather, and the lack of physical activity would be HUGE for my kids. Although we are not a big "beach family" my kids do enjoy the beach during the summer. We also have kids that are very invoved in sports, namely baseball and softball year round. I know that is not an option on the East Coast. I have heard the sports are more seasonal. Basically my kids are my main concern and all this info helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey