Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 02:02 PM

543 posts, read 1,900,985 times

Advertisements

I thought finding this MB would help our decision but now I am rteally confused. Basically what I have realized is that there are unhappy people on both coasts. I checked on this board and found people hating NJ and wanting out and then went to the OC board and found the same thing. Now I am right back to where I started. My husband was offered a job in NJ as a Sales Manager. He would be working out of the house, not going into NY. We have family in Branchburg NJ and Stratford CT. I am afraid that once we move we will regret it. We have four kids to think about so I want to make the right decision. We live in an upper middle class area but when I did a Cost of Living analysis NJ still comes out cheaper than where we are in SO Cal. So far Princeton area and Bergen seem to be the least amount of difference to where we are as far as schools and people. I want the transition to be easy for my kids. Any advice on whether we should just stay put and struggle or move and try to make it a little easier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2007, 02:15 PM

1,289 posts, read 6,098,143 times
Very different lifestyle since CA is a little more laid back that NY & NJ. It is more hustle and bussel here. If you are looking for something like Southern California in terms of wealth, restaurants, schools, and oveall atmosphere, you should look at the following:

Princeton
Far Hills
Basking Ridge
Bernardsville
Mendham
Short Hills
Colts Neck

All of them have good schools for the most part but many of them do not have downtown/shopping area types except Princeton and Short Hills. Many of these spots have lots of open space with their homes but have a very nice upper class lifestyle.

Hope this helps. If you need any other help, please do not hesitate.

Old 08-08-2007, 02:41 PM

687 posts, read 3,251,852 times
Quote:
Princeton
Far Hills
Basking Ridge
Bernardsville
Mendham
Short Hills
Colts Neck
I concur, and to that list I would add Rumson and Westfield. If you're looking for the beach, Rumson would be a great option.

I, for one, like New Jersey very much. After growing up in Ohio and going to college in Alabama, I really like the hustle and bustle. A lot of people who have always lived here just don't know how good they've got it.

Old 08-08-2007, 02:56 PM

1,289 posts, read 6,098,143 times
Yes a beach community that will limit the amount of tourist around would be Rumson. You would enjoy it if that is what you are looking for.

Old 08-08-2007, 04:01 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeViper01 View Post
Very different lifestyle since CA is a little more laid back that NY & NJ. It is more hustle and bussel here. If you are looking for something like Southern California in terms of wealth, restaurants, schools, and oveall atmosphere, you should look at the following:

Princeton
Far Hills
Basking Ridge
Bernardsville
Mendham
Short Hills
Colts Neck

All of them have good schools for the most part but many of them do not have downtown/shopping area types except Princeton and Short Hills. Many of these spots have lots of open space with their homes but have a very nice upper class lifestyle.

Hope this helps. If you need any other help, please do not hesitate.
Good list (along with Westfield and Rumson). I'd also add Chester, which also has a cute "downtown" (James Gandolfini has a place there along with Jim Breuer, if you know who he is).

General rule of thumb - the further from NYC, the less hustle and bustle.

Old 08-08-2007, 04:31 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times
Even if the COL, housing, taxes, etc., aren't much different, bear in mind that you're in for a MAJOR lifestyle/weather/attitude change, which may take a lot of getting used to. If you've got relatives here, you may already be aware of the differences I'm talking about, but there's nothing like actually living in NJ to realize the true differences.

My wife grew up in LA and Aliso Viejo before moving to Las Vegas where we met. She had been to NJ with me on vacation several times, so she had experienced the attitude, sarcasm, and blunt honesty first hand, but it still wasn't enough to prepare her for actually moving the NJ. It took a good year or more (and many nights of crying about wanting to head back west) for her to understand when people were being serious vs sarcastic vs kidding, and to deal with people opening their mouths without considering the other person's feelings before speaking.

After 8 years there, she was tickled to death to have the opportunity to move to GA, and is loving the people here so far.

Bob

Old 08-08-2007, 04:36 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,093,179 times
If you can afford NJ, I think it is a great place to live. And it sounds like you've done your homework and can afford to live here comfortably. Come out for a visit and check things out for yourself. Sussex and Warren counties have miles and miles of rural beauty, countrysides and forests. The northeastern area has all the amenties of city living because NYC is so close. Central NJ has a bit of everything. The Jersey Shore area is a little more laid back and has its own brand of fun. The Philadephia metro area (Moorestown, Cherry Hill) has plenty to do but is a little less built up than the NYC-metro area. Southern NJ also has rural areas and is peaceful.

I have personally lived in Montague, Sparta, Madison, Brick, Barnegat, and Robbinsville. Most recently I was in Robbinsville (AKA Washington Township - maybe 7-8 miles south of Princeton) and I really liked it. There is plenty to do, it is very safe, the schools are good...really can't say anything bad about it. I was also fond of the Hopewell/Pennington area if you want to be near Princeton, it's very pretty there, very safe, and the schools are top-notch.

Whatever you decide, best of luck.

Old 08-08-2007, 07:13 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,250,426 times
Essex Fells is very pretty as well.

Old 08-08-2007, 07:26 PM

1,341 posts, read 4,907,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Even if the COL, housing, taxes, etc., aren't much different, bear in mind that you're in for a MAJOR lifestyle/weather/attitude change, which may take a lot of getting used to. If you've got relatives here, you may already be aware of the differences I'm talking about, but there's nothing like actually living in NJ to realize the true differences.

My wife grew up in LA and Aliso Viejo before moving to Las Vegas where we met. She had been to NJ with me on vacation several times, so she had experienced the attitude, sarcasm, and blunt honesty first hand, but it still wasn't enough to prepare her for actually moving the NJ. It took a good year or more (and many nights of crying about wanting to head back west) for her to understand when people were being serious vs sarcastic vs kidding, and to deal with people opening their mouths without considering the other person's feelings before speaking.

After 8 years there, she was tickled to death to have the opportunity to move to GA, and is loving the people here so far.

Bob
DITTO DITTO DITTO can I say DITTO once more please. As a So cal OC girl myself, Orange Hills/Villa Park area..( I used to work near aliso viejo). I concur...moving here was the biggest culture shock I have ever done. I tell dh thank god I love him so much.....to move to the tristate area...LOL I would move back in a HEARTBEAT if I ever had the opp. I had to learn the difference between the lawng island accent and the brooklyn accent...to well..just about any accent in general.

Its not good nor bad..but I will tell you its very very different..and comming out for just a visit will not prepare you. I miss south coast plaza, and newport fashion island. I miss the fact that most of the suburbs are well manicured lawns and such. I have been in NY since 1998..and would LOVE the opp if dh's company allowed for a transfer to Atlanta..(maybe in 2 years).

Old 08-08-2007, 07:29 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,369,396 times
Madison, Morristown, and Summit all have nice little downtowns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey