Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 10:53 AM

5 posts, read 37,704 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are thinking of moving to Livingston. We have been told by a friend that the commute to midtown NYC takes about an hour door to door.

15 minute drive to Harrison Path station. 30 minute train ride to 33rd street.
15 minute subway ride to 57th street.

Does this sound right? Livingston to Harrison is about 13 miles. It seem like it should take at least 20-25 minutes. How is the parking at Harrison? Is space limited? How crowded is the train?

It sounds like an aggravating commute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2011, 11:04 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,976,235 times
I would think you could add 15 minutes to that estimate (depending where in Livingston), and how far you have to walk after subway.

Old 07-01-2011, 12:24 PM

51 posts, read 132,291 times
We've thinking of moving to Livingston as well and have tried the commute before. It is more like 1.25 to 1.5 hours to midtown NYC after you include your driving, parking, walking, waiting times. Also, it generally takes a lot longer than 15 minutes to Harrison in traffic

Old 07-01-2011, 02:23 PM

22 posts, read 61,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. pepper View Post
My wife and I are thinking of moving to Livingston. We have been told by a friend that the commute to midtown NYC takes about an hour door to door.

Does this sound right? Livingston to Harrison is about 13 miles. It seem like it should take at least 20-25 minutes. How is the parking at Harrison? Is space limited? How crowded is the train?

Harrison used to only go to downtown unless you switced in JC. Has it changed. I have not done it for years. I used to drive from Parsippany to Harrison and it took 30 minutes. You were able to buy a monthly pass in Harrision but that was 5 years ago.

The only real way to know what the commute is to do the commute on a real workday and test it out. I would recommend you do that if you are unsure of the commute.

Old 07-01-2011, 07:28 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
All commutes around here are aggravating. Traffic on I-280 to Harrison can get ugly. The PATH trains are absolutely wall-to-wall packed during peak hours, and the stations in the city hit 130 degrees or so (feels like my attic, anyway) in the summer. And you do have to switch at Journal Square to get to the 33rd street line, though you could also just go in to World Trade Center and switch to the subway there.

It's going to take more than an hour. If everything aligns right, I can do it in just about an hour and I am a little closer to Harrison and my office is close to the 14th & 6th. Usually more like 1:15 for me, so I'd say more like 1:30-1:45 for you.

Your main alternative would be to take the Coach USA #77 bus to Port Authority Bus Terminal at 42nd & 8th. This has aggravations of its own, but if you get express buses it's probably going to be less total time, and it's much more comfortable. Another alternative; if you get up early in the morning you might be able to get a daily parking spot at Orange Station and take the train to Penn Station.

I'd suggest looking at a town with a train station if you can manage it. Midtown direct to Penn beats PATH any day of the week. But be aware that most stations have no available parking.

Old 07-01-2011, 07:49 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,950,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. pepper View Post

NJT73 to orange then train to NYC 73 accepts rail passes as payment plus you wont use the full rte so its a short ride

Old 07-01-2011, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Another alternative; if you get up early in the morning you might be able to get a daily parking spot at Orange Station and take the train to Penn Station.
Could someone shed light on this: is leaving the car for the day at this station safe? Is travel from this station at night time safe?

Old 07-01-2011, 09:19 PM

3 posts, read 8,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTC2 View Post
Could someone shed light on this: is leaving the car for the day at this station safe? Is travel from this station at night time safe?
who knows. you are at your own risk. Move to a different town and you will not have to do this. I recommend. Montville or Glen Ridge

Old 07-02-2011, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickatnight View Post
who knows. you are at your own risk. Move to a different town and you will not have to do this. I recommend. Montville or Glen Ridge
Ok, since you don't know about the safety of an possible, alternate route, I'll now cancel my Livingston NJ plans and move to Montville and Glen Ridge

The bus route gets my vote as more comfortable than the Path. Bring your earphones and ipad along and you may actually be looking forward to it each morning

Old 07-02-2011, 11:36 AM

37 posts, read 108,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTC2 View Post
Ok, since you don't know about the safety of an possible, alternate route, I'll now cancel my Livingston NJ plans and move to Montville and Glen Ridge

The bus route gets my vote as more comfortable than the Path. Bring your earphones and ipad along and you may actually be looking forward to
t each morning
Livingston is great if you are Jewish. If not good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey