Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 09:15 AM

402 posts, read 1,406,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboy111 View Post
It seems some senior near me just hold on to houses and never upgrade them. Are they getting tax breaks because taxes are high and I do not know how they can afford them.
You are very self-centered. Obviously, you have much to learn. Maybe, one of those senior citizens who has lost his leg or her husband in a war to ensure our (yes, yours too) nation's security will teach you some compassion. Maybe a senior citizen who has volunteered thousands of hours with patients, victims, and underprivleged children could teach you empathy. . . .maybe. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by partyparty View Post
so it would be such a terrible existence for a 80 year old to leave the house and move into a condo. . . . the seniors need the house so bad that a young family cannot get the house affordably. And when that young family moves in now they are paying extra taxes to take care of the older people.
Saying that a senior should be forced to give up a large house that he owns outright and move into a condo is like saying that you should you have to give up your car that you paid for and buy a moped. New home-buyers pay higher taxes based on real estate value. Your property taxes contribute very little (if anything) toward subsidizing senior care (depending on your location).

The following posts are AWESOME and all got REP from me. You've said what I would have, so I'll just quote you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
. . . Is your solution to force older residents on fixed incomes out of their homes in order to allow younger folks to occupy these homes? . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1944 View Post
Their taxes are not actually lower the State pays them any amount over the amount owed when the freeze went into effect on their house. The town receives the full amount of property tax.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Since the largest part of your property tax is for the schools why should the seniors or anybody with no kids pay the same property tax as the overpopulationists with five or six kids?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It is fair. . . . they live on social security and whatever pensions . . . and they are faced with enormous tax hikes. The town gives them a break, and that's the right thing to do. . .
Would you really want to live in a community that forces its elderly, long-time residents out for a few extra bucks on the tax rolls?
Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh5 View Post
You can't force 80-year olds to move out of their homes any more than you can force child-bearing aged couples to get their tubes tied after having two kids (or whatever number "we" feel is appropriate). That would keep your taxes low and help with the affordability.
Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh5 View Post
Senior citizens do not make taxes for everyone else higher. They pay the full amount and then get property tax reimbursement from the state, not from the town they live in. . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2011, 11:45 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Did it occur to anyone that they do this to SAVE money for the rest of us? Many towns would be worse off if all the seniors moved out and younger families moved in. Many towns approve new senior housing and not general developments because more their schools are already overcrowded and they can't afford to build more. Why is there so much US against THEM (who are really US a few decades from now)? I think the politicians finally got it figured out, get us to turn on each other and eat our own so we don't look too closely at the politicians themselves or their corporate sponsors. Teachers are the enemy, no it's cops, no it's those darned seniors!

Old 07-02-2011, 12:04 PM

2,499 posts, read 2,626,763 times
They do it because seniors vote so they pander to seniors. Now I am not saying this policy is good or bad but to think it was done for any other reason than to get votes is silly.

Old 07-02-2011, 12:26 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
It seems some senior near me just hold on to houses and never upgrade them. Are they getting tax breaks because taxes are high and I do not know how they can afford them.
Quote:
This does not seem fair and seems to encourage people to stay in their houses longer. So a young couple with no kids should pay full taxes.
Quote:
So they cannot sell their house and downsize. Should they live in a 3 or 4Bedroom house and pay less taxes so I have to pay more taxes.
Quote:
so it would be such a terrible existence for a 80 year old to leave the house and move into a condo. They would come out way ahead in terms of money. But no the seniors need the house so bad that a young family cannot get the house affordably. And when that young family moves in now they are paying extra taxes to take care of the older people.

If these are the moral standards that you guys are teaching your kids (either directly or by example), then all I can say is--I don't envy you when you get old and your kids want you out of the way so that they can gain whatever advantage they want--at your expense.

As you sow, so shall you reap!

Old 07-02-2011, 12:46 PM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 3,366,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Did it occur to anyone that they do this to SAVE money for the rest of us? Many towns would be worse off if all the seniors moved out and younger families moved in. Many towns approve new senior housing and not general developments because more their schools are already overcrowded and they can't afford to build more. Why is there so much US against THEM (who are really US a few decades from now)? I think the politicians finally got it figured out, get us to turn on each other and eat our own so we don't look too closely at the politicians themselves or their corporate sponsors. Teachers are the enemy, no it's cops, no it's those darned seniors!
+1 to everything in the quoted post!

Old 07-02-2011, 12:47 PM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 3,366,108 times
Quote:
If these are the moral standards that you guys are teaching your kids (either directly or by example), then all I can say is--I don't envy you when you get old and your kids want you out of the way so that they can gain whatever advantage they want--at your expense.

As you sow, so shall you reap!

Amen to this! Great point!

Old 07-02-2011, 01:13 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvs View Post
Amen to this! Great point!
And, speaking of religion, I have to wonder about the religious background of people who believe that the elderly are expendable for the benefit of those who are younger.

While I don't profess to be a theologian, I know that the thoughts expressed by those guys are absolutely contrary to Judeo-Christian teachings.
Buddhists would also frown on that type of attitude.

As to the Muslim faith, Hinduism, Shinto, Zoroastrianism, and other sects, I cannot say. Perhaps some other forum members who are more versed in world religions could weigh in on this issue.

Anyway--those who claim to be moral and religious people with either a Judeo-Christian background or a Buddhist background should not be so covetous of the possessions of the elderly, nor should they be so dismissive of the elderly.

Old 07-02-2011, 01:33 PM

37 posts, read 108,371 times
no one is trying to force seniors out. We are just not happy giving some people tax breaks. Whats next giving tax breaks to certain ethnic races.

Old 07-02-2011, 01:34 PM

37 posts, read 108,371 times
Quote:
And, speaking of religion, I have to wonder about the religious background of people who believe that the elderly are expendable for the benefit of those who are younger.

While I don't profess to be a theologian, I know that the thoughts expressed by those guys are absolutely contrary to Judeo-Christian teachings.
Buddhists would also frown on that type of attitude.

As to the Muslim faith, Hinduism, Shinto, Zoroastrianism, and other sects, I cannot say. Perhaps some other forum members who are more versed in world religions could weigh in on this issue.

Anyway--those who claim to be moral and religious people with either a Judeo-Christian background or a Buddhist background should not be so covetous of the possessions of the elderly, nor should they be so dismissive of the elderly.
stop the exaggeration. Is all I am saying if I pay $10K in taxes so does my old neighbor whose house looks so crappy on the outside and he cuts his lawn once a year. Wait maybe I should have you cut it for him.

Old 07-02-2011, 01:51 PM

198 posts, read 276,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MookieMookie View Post
no one is trying to force seniors out. We are just not happy giving some people tax breaks. Whats next giving tax breaks to certain ethnic races.
What about Veterans? Should we stop giving them their exemption for serving our country?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: