Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 02:39 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,673,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nia001 View Post
Wow....it's pretty interesting to hear comments about a city that people dont live in. I've been here since I was 2 yrs. old. Never had anything happen to me or my family. The next time you pass a judgement call...try living in the city first. If you experience the things you're talking about then you can talk about it. Until then.......
So when the APP has those stories about drug busts and shootings, they're just making them up? And you have to actually LIVE in a city to hear about what happens there? Really?

But, glad nothing has happened to your family.

As everyone said, Asbury Park has some nice areas and some areas with problems. Pretending either doesn't exist is just weird.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2012, 02:46 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,669,041 times
my wife was going to go to some waterpark over there. she has been to the one at dorbrook and heard that one is bigger? should i let her go? she said you have to pay there, which reduces the riff raff.

i feel guilty for buying the sunday edition of the asbury park press, but i am a couponing son of a gun.

Old 09-02-2012, 05:02 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,673,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
my wife was going to go to some waterpark over there. she has been to the one at dorbrook and heard that one is bigger? should i let her go? she said you have to pay there, which reduces the riff raff.

i feel guilty for buying the sunday edition of the asbury park press, but i am a couponing son of a gun.
I get it on the weekends.

Old 09-02-2012, 05:12 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,099,118 times
CaptainNJ, why on earth would you feel guilty for buying the APP? I wish when I was couponing heavily I could have gotten my hands on some. Dang, they have the best coupons! As for letting your wife go to Asbury - ummm, if she wants to go and isn't in need of protection, why wouldn't she go? Is she planning on wearing her best diamonds and carrying her Prada bag? She would have a problem ANYwhere.

Old 09-02-2012, 09:01 PM

2,939 posts, read 4,122,207 times
I take my kids to the beach in Asbury once a week. Sometimes I take my nephew(s) and sometimes my neighbors' kid(s). Granted, I've never taken them to the Splash Park because we're going to the beach to go to the beach. If we want to do the waterpark thing we go to Sesame Place.

My grandparents spent most of their lives there. I lived there (and in Bradley Beach) in the mid 80s-mid 90s when it was at its worst. I never had any problems back then and it's certainly a lot nicer now.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
CaptainNJ, why on earth would you feel guilty for buying the APP? I wish when I was couponing heavily I could have gotten my hands on some. Dang, they have the best coupons! As for letting your wife go to Asbury - ummm, if she wants to go and isn't in need of protection, why wouldn't she go? Is she planning on wearing her best diamonds and carrying her Prada bag? She would have a problem ANYwhere.
i just dont like their bias.

there has to be some places that you can wear your best diamonds and prada bag! i just feel more comfortable with her going to a place in colts neck than a place in asbury park. but ive never been to either myself. im more sensitive about that stuff than most people.

Old 09-03-2012, 02:19 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,099,118 times
sensitive to what?

Sorry, but your snobby-ness isn't coming across well with me. NO one ever should wear their best diamonds to a freakin' beach! Leave that to dumb Kardashb*es who wear diamond earrings in a pool!

Old 09-03-2012, 08:40 PM

2,939 posts, read 4,122,207 times
Quote:
NO one ever should wear their best diamonds to a freakin' beach! Leave that to dumb Kardashb*es who wear diamond earrings in a pool!
for real. who hasn't seen the creepy old guy with the metal detector scooping up someone's lost jewelry?

There's nothing wrong with rubbing elbows with the maid or the line cook at the beach. They work hard and like to relax like everyone else. They're not going to rob you. The beach in Asbury is incredibly diverse. You get young families, old folks, young singles both gay and straight, black, white, latino, asian, rich, middle class and blue collar. There are precious few beaches in this country where you can have that kind of experience.

Old 09-04-2012, 01:28 PM

Quote:
sensitive to what?

Sorry, but your snobby-ness isn't coming across well with me. NO one ever should wear their best diamonds to a freakin' beach! Leave that to dumb Kardashb*es who wear diamond earrings in a pool!
im sensitive to places where crime is more likely to happen (even if others may believe its still highly unlikely). i really couldnt care less if other people have a problem with my "snobby-ness." its my choice and i think im hardly alone with my preferences.

i thought you said that she would have a problem "ANYwhere" wearing her best diamonds and a prada bag.

Old 10-22-2012, 11:56 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,238,360 times
http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...nclick_check=1
29 people shot so far this year, in a city of 16,000: 1 in 550!
22 shot in the southwest corner, in an area of 5,300 people: 1 in 240!!!
NYC in 2011: 1,821 of 8,200,000: 1 in 4,500!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey