Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 07:52 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,400,123 times

Advertisements

Greenwhich is not in Essex county NJ. good or bad, Essex county has a lot of county services. So our county taxes are high. 3 county golf courses that you can golf for around $30, with one of them having been purchased from a former country club and it's a pretty nice course. things like the turtle back zoo. the parks (south mountain reservation, eagle rock, etc). i don't know how all the taxes in NJ compare to all the taxes in CT, but yes, NJ has high property taxes. we get it. we also have a high level of service. whether or not those services are worthwhile is a constant debate. is there waste in NJ? no doubt, there is. as well as corruption. but it's not like we're forking over money and getting nothing provided to us in return (for the most part). NJ is a public-service heavy state. Livingston happens to be located in one of the most public-service heavy counties. Not sure how that compares to Greenwich, CT, but I imagine we're not really comparing apples to apples here. you really need to look at the proportion of property taxes that makes up school, county, and local. and then compare those individual pieces to the same in CT.

honestly, the thread has surprised me, as it really seems like a troll-styled thread to start another debate on NJ taxes and the school unions. i'm not sure why anyone would believe that the teachers' union in CT is much softer than the one in NJ. the same issues exist across the country, in regards to things that happen in waste in public education. NJ really doesn't have a monopoly on that topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Greenwich is much more beautiful than Livingston, that goes without saying. But the price of housing in Greenwich makes Short Hills and Alpine look like a bargain. If I drop a couple of million on a house, I don't want it to be a four bedroom cape. So yes, you will pay more in taxes for a relatively similar school system, but you have to decide which positives and which negatives you can and can't live with.
that's true too. the big picture is what counts. i could have bought a home with slightly less property taxes, but the home also cost more. monthly expenses is what counts, and what you get for that money. i had my doubts that a million dollar home in Livingston = a million dollar home in Greenwich. but who knows these days. lol

Old 07-06-2011, 08:32 AM

44 posts, read 191,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
that's true too. the big picture is what counts. i could have bought a home with slightly less property taxes, but the home also cost more. monthly expenses is what counts, and what you get for that money. i had my doubts that a million dollar home in Livingston = a million dollar home in Greenwich. but who knows these days. lol
Its strange how this all works, but:

For a million dollars, you'll get a shack in Greenwich as opposed to a nice house in Livingston. For 2 million, surprisingly, the two are practically in the same ball-park. Don't ask why: I'm merely going by what I saw in visits to both places and also in realtor.com

Old 07-06-2011, 08:44 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,979,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
honestly, the thread has surprised me, as it really seems like a troll-styled thread to start another debate on NJ taxes and the school unions. i'm not sure why anyone would believe that the teachers' union in CT is much softer than the one in NJ. the same issues exist across the country, in regards to things that happen in waste in public education. NJ really doesn't have a monopoly on that topic.
Y'know, I also thought the thread title was bait for troll-like posts, but it's remained mostly thoughtful.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:05 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,624,105 times
Default honestly, the thread has surprised me, as it really seems like a troll-styled thread to start another debate on NJ taxes

Well an educated person like ourselves would read the title to the thread and say it looks like they ask a question and answered it with a smack in the face to the teachers because of high property taxes on a home valued at over a million. Yes property taxes r high in NJ, and if you are close to NYC a 1-2 million dollar home will have high taxes. Gov. Christie and the legislature passed a bill to try to limit increases to 2% a year, hopefully that works out.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearTheCobwebs View Post
Its strange how this all works, but:

For a million dollars, you'll get a shack in Greenwich as opposed to a nice house in Livingston. For 2 million, surprisingly, the two are practically in the same ball-park. Don't ask why: I'm merely going by what I saw in visits to both places and also in realtor.com
at some point, it has to level out a bit. because there's only certain folks that can spend x amount on a house, and they're going to want what they expect for that. there's obviously exceptions, but also, the higher "valued" properties have been taking bigger hits in the downturn than the lower ones. less buyers for them, so they adjust down further.

Old 07-06-2011, 10:12 AM

18,464 posts, read 15,244,932 times
It doesn't really level out. You really need to look a little more. 2 million dollars buys you MUCH more home in Livingston than it does in Greenwich.

Old 07-06-2011, 10:16 AM

51 posts, read 132,329 times
I apologize, but I seem to have steered this conversation a bit off-topic (the crux was as to why public schooling costs and hence property taxes seem very high in NJ). Thanks for all your contributions everyone.

Old 07-06-2011, 12:26 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,979,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
Well an educated person like ourselves would read the title to the thread and say it looks like they ask a question and answered it with a smack in the face to the teachers because of high property taxes on a home valued at over a million. Yes property taxes r high in NJ, and if you are close to NYC a 1-2 million dollar home will have high taxes. Gov. Christie and the legislature passed a bill to try to limit increases to 2% a year, hopefully that works out.
And the use of a 2nd screen name is usually the work of trolls.

Old 07-06-2011, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTC2 View Post
I apologize, but I seem to have steered this conversation a bit off-topic (the crux was as to why public schooling costs and hence property taxes seem very high in NJ). Thanks for all your contributions everyone.
my schoo portion of property taxes is around $3,500. my district i live in is not fantastic, in the context of NJ, but my parents live in Pennsylvania and pay around $2,000 in school taxes and the local public school offers nothing. the school doesn't even have a football team. pathetic arts department. zero AP classes.

so...i don't think my public schooling costs are all that ridiculous, contextually speaking, for what my local school district provides.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey