U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-06-2011, 04:17 PM

20 posts, read 50,187 times

Advertisements

I know I will get a lot of opinions on this but I am seeking a change big time. Born and raised in San Diego. Beautiful place, amazing weather, great people. Never thought of leaving till about approximately on and off for the last 8 years.

I believe this is because I know nothing else and feel in a rut. The east coast intrigues me. I like the ideas of seasons, the architecture, just something different from what I know. I have visited New York, very exciting place, can't afford to live there so looking at other options which is why I suggested New Jersey.

Any other suggestions on maybe places you hav elive dor experienced on teh East Coast that might be worth checking out since I get a lot of pull back on Jersey? Or maybe its not Jersey and just east coast vs. west coast due to weather.

Should I try Boston, Vermont, I don't know. Didn't know where to post this. I appreciate your advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 05:13 PM

3,343 posts, read 5,249,963 times
You should tell us a little bit about yourself. What your family situation is, what you do for a living, whether you want to live in a city, suburbs, rural area, etc.

Old 07-06-2011, 05:57 PM

I am 38 years old, single and work in Human Resources. I am in a rut seeking a new experience. I would love to live in or near a city where I can walk around and experience different things and maybe have an opportunity to meet new people.

Old 07-06-2011, 06:03 PM

6 posts, read 18,584 times
Boston or Newark!

Old 07-06-2011, 06:36 PM

3,343 posts, read 5,249,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmgary View Post
I am 38 years old, single and work in Human Resources. I am in a rut seeking a new experience. I would love to live in or near a city where I can walk around and experience different things and maybe have an opportunity to meet new people.

Philadelphia
Stamford CT
Boston
Albany NY
Rochester NY
Bethlehem PA
Providence RI
Jersey City

A few cities I would enjoy living in on the East coast. NJ suburbs of Philadelphia are very close, pretty nice, and reasonably priced. If you really want NYC, Jersey city is right there. You live near a PATH station, you are in Manhattan 25 minutes and $2.50 after leaving your APT.

Last edited by GiantRutgersfan; 07-06-2011 at 07:06 PM..

Old 07-06-2011, 06:50 PM

6,790 posts, read 4,807,569 times
Just remember to consider temperature...Boston is a great town, yes, but it's very cold and snowy and might be hard to adjust to after a lifetime in SanDiego. You might want to visit the east coast in the winter, especially New England, before you decide. Want to trade places for next January, LOL?

Old 07-07-2011, 12:02 AM

Thank you so much for your feedback. I probably should visit in the winter before making any decisions, not a bad idea. Boston I am so much wanting to visit and I hear Providence RI is up and coming. New York has always excited me so Jersey City is close. I will check that out.

Old 07-08-2011, 12:19 AM

949 posts, read 1,096,887 times
I moved to SD from Boston for 6 months, and hated it (aside from the weather). I moved back east and been living in NYC (brooklyn) for 10+ years. It is expensive here but there is nothing like it.

Old 07-09-2011, 11:09 AM

263 posts, read 375,369 times
I'm going San Diego to DC. I'm very happy about it and have visited in winter. What drew me (outside of a great job opportunity) is that it does have seasons and the arts/culture/history is incredibly rich! So many places to explore - with the adjacent states. I can't wait!

Been in San Diego 23 years - and actually it is nice weather if you like it to be the same. I'm looking forward to seasons (though I'll admit I'm not looking forward to moving East Coast in August! Humidity and Heat! Oiy!).

I say go for it!

Old 07-09-2011, 11:18 AM

51 posts, read 72,289 times
I'd also consider Baltimore - a little further south, so the winters aren't as brutal... a fun city, nice harbor.. the city has some really nice sections (and a few pretty bad ones as well)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey