Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 05:19 PM

1,646 posts, read 2,780,345 times

Advertisements

Although it sounds dumb, the whole idea is to just get these places to close earlier because of the activity that lingers around them when Mr Sun goes down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 05:56 PM

2,387 posts, read 2,340,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSchoolols View Post
Although it sounds dumb, the whole idea is to just get these places to close earlier because of the activity that lingers around them when Mr Sun goes down.
Exactly. Sounds stupid on the surface, but when you break it down it's not such a bad idea. Suburbanites won't get it though.
Do the same for liquor stores while you're at it.

Old 07-08-2011, 06:05 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,848,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
Exactly. Sounds stupid on the surface, but when you break it down it's not such a bad idea. Suburbanites won't get it though.
Do the same for liquor stores while you're at it.
I never understood why businesses like Chicken shacks , Liquor stores and convince stores need to stay open 24/7.....its absurd...

Old 07-08-2011, 06:17 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,767,307 times
Quote:
These aren't typical pizzerias. They aren't even pizzerias.

And you're from NYC right? I know there's plenty of these shacks with bulletproof glass in the Bronx, Harlem, Brooklyn, Jamaica, etc.

There are no typical pizzerias in Newark? It does not just apply to dumpy fried chicken shacks, it applies to any kind of take out place without full restaurant seating city wide. All of the local pizzerias, as well as Dominos, Papa Johns, etc.

Old 07-08-2011, 06:26 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,767,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
I never understood why businesses like Chicken shacks , Liquor stores and convince stores need to stay open 24/7.....its absurd...
Liquor stores do not stay open 24/7. They are not allowed to sell hard alcohol after 10 PM, or beer/wine after 11 PM.

As for the other businesses, obviously they think they can make a profit. Does a take out place need to stay open 24/7? No, but many of them do generate enough business to be profitable up to 2 AM or so.

Old 07-08-2011, 06:53 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,108,085 times
Quote:
These aren't typical pizzerias. They aren't even pizzerias.

And you're from NYC right? I know there's plenty of these shacks with bulletproof glass in the Bronx, Harlem, Brooklyn, Jamaica, etc.
I have been in The Bronx twice in my life; Harlem - was there once by accident in a car driving through early on a Sunday morning - missed the GWB and took the tunnel to Jersey - Brooklyn I visit friends there and I don't know any place like what you describe; Jamaica - it's a country and we were there on our cruise the day before Grand Cayman. My living in NYC has nothing to do with those places.

I have been all over my borough and I have NEVER seen a pizza/chicken joint with bulletproof glass - in fact, never anywhere

Old 07-08-2011, 07:42 PM

188 posts, read 414,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Sometimes people want to go out after a night out and grab something quick. Over in the NYC forums, one of the main points people are looking for are neighborhoods where they can walk to get something to eat anytime they want. It is one of the main selling points of living in a city. Although the restaurants I walk past in the Downtown section do not stay open later than 6, sometimes only open for breakfast and lunch (although that is mostly due to more commercial and less residential properties).

Old 07-08-2011, 07:44 PM

1,202 posts, read 3,029,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
I have been in The Bronx twice in my life; Harlem - was there once by accident in a car driving through early on a Sunday morning - missed the GWB and took the tunnel to Jersey - Brooklyn I visit friends there and I don't know any place like what you describe; Jamaica - it's a country and we were there on our cruise the day before Grand Cayman. My living in NYC has nothing to do with those places.

I have been all over my borough and I have NEVER seen a pizza/chicken joint with bulletproof glass - in fact, never anywhere
So you're in Staten Island I'm guessing? I find that absolutely impossible that at no point anywhere in the entire city you've never seen any kind of bullet proof glass on any late night cheap eatery. You've never seen them in Brooklyn? I have seen plenty there, and while living in considerably safe neighborhoods.

And the Jamaica they're referring to is a neighborhood of Queens...

Old 07-08-2011, 08:22 PM

20,329 posts, read 19,921,823 times
""Move to Newark- you can experience everything urban living has to offer"

Old 07-09-2011, 05:53 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,108,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenaperture View Post
So you're in Staten Island I'm guessing? I find that absolutely impossible that at no point anywhere in the entire city you've never seen any kind of bullet proof glass on any late night cheap eatery. You've never seen them in Brooklyn? I have seen plenty there, and while living in considerably safe neighborhoods.

And the Jamaica they're referring to is a neighborhood of Queens...
That's amazing. First, of course I'm on Staten Island: which other borough is the forgotten one, without a subway or a no-cost way into Manhattan by car?

Nope, I've never seen bullet proof glass in a late night cheap eatery in Brooklyn. In fact, I've never been to a late night cheap eatery in Brooklyn. I'd rather not be in Brooklyn for any reason other than to get through it to the airport. Why would I know there's a place in Queens called Jamaica? Do you think anyone outside of Staten Island would recognize the towns here?

This is the Jersey forum - I'm a Jersey girl. I spent lots of time in Newark growing up - started by going to the Y on Raymond Blvd in grammar school, shopped at Kresge's once before it closed, mostly I shopped at Bam's, got my first office job downtown on Broad St past city hall; loved the old farmer's market; and I still head to Ironbound for shoes. I even went to Luna Park once.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey