Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 03:05 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,402,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
They don't cause crime,,they ATTRACT many criminals in the wee hours of the morning. As far as the security guard argument I read they must be armed and many would be correction,sheriffs,police and so forth. Even security guards must go thru the SORA training and can detain someone for the police. Can they help on a drive by most likely not but I'd empty a mag of 15 at the car after I got up from the floor. I agree that they shouldn't be forced to employ an armed guard though. But believe me most of the ones in JC have illegals working there and more than likely they are only sending pennies in to the state in the form of taxation. Have to agree to disagree also. The city IMO should force them to close if it is a danger to society.
so do they attract criminals because they are open late? because they sell fried chicken? because the owner is a criminal? again - you haven't told me anything about why the business owner is obligated to do something about crime in newark. lots of businesses attract loiterers. some towns it's convenient stores. some it's restaurants. if those loiterers partake in criminal activity, why is it up to the business owner to enforce the local laws? why does the city get a pass in this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 05:48 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,726,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
so do they attract criminals because they are open late? because they sell fried chicken? because the owner is a criminal? again - you haven't told me anything about why the business owner is obligated to do something about crime in newark. lots of businesses attract loiterers. some towns it's convenient stores. some it's restaurants. if those loiterers partake in criminal activity, why is it up to the business owner to enforce the local laws? why does the city get a pass in this?

Police can not be every where at once and you can go into Newark by RESPONSIBLE business owners and not find the same problems....no loitering in front of any of the restaurants in the Ironbound for example..THE OWNERS won't allow it to happen. The business owner is not obligated to do something about the crime in Newark as a whole but he/she is responsible for what goes on in their business and the property it sits on.

As Jersey man said most of these places don't employ people legally, more than likely fudge their sales receipts so in essence they are not only NOT paying the state it's due but pocketing the sales tax customers pay.

At this point this thread is beating a dead horse....

Old 07-14-2011, 06:26 AM

2,387 posts, read 2,340,968 times
Quote:
Because it's their own property? If I own a house and a thug or crackhead is hanging out on my lawn I make sure they are kicked out by any means necessary. These owners don't do that. In fact many of them don't care.

Quote:
.no loitering in front of any of the restaurants in the Ironbound for example..THE OWNERS won't allow it to happen.
Same for most of the city chains, the new downtown/Halsey Village places, the 3-4 star places on Bloomfield Ave, etc.

Old 07-14-2011, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Police can not be every where at once and you can go into Newark by RESPONSIBLE business owners and not find the same problems....no loitering in front of any of the restaurants in the Ironbound for example..THE OWNERS won't allow it to happen. The business owner is not obligated to do something about the crime in Newark as a whole but he/she is responsible for what goes on in their business and the property it sits on.

As Jersey man said most of these places don't employ people legally, more than likely fudge their sales receipts so in essence they are not only NOT paying the state it's due but pocketing the sales tax customers pay.

At this point this thread is beating a dead horse....
is it really a major issue in the Ironbound section? let's be honest, there are certain neighborhoods in Newark that have far more crime than others. The businesses in the more crime-ridden areas can try all they want to, but without some real enforcement of laws, how much can they accomplish? I'm all for community-watch type involvement, but even in my area, if I'm dealing with criminals where death is a possibility...I'm calling the police. If the city wants to force some businesses to have security guards, then the city should provide them as part of their police force. Obviously, the city thinks that area warrants someone there every night at 9pm...so why doesn't the city put someone there?

the legality of people employed in the reastaurant industry in general is questionable...but that goes on in small towns in central pennsylvania, and really has nothing to do with the crime discussion so I don't care. I don't believe the local fried chicken joint has any more incentive than any other cash-heavy business to fudge their sales receipts. Chinese restaurants often only accept cash...you think they are 100% tax-legitimate? Sales-tax fraud goes way back (think Crazy Eddies) is again, a different issue. Bottom line is, legal or illegal, the place is employing people who then spend their wages somewhere else and take part in the economy. It's better than those people, legal or illegal, being unemployed and part of the criminal element or other poor behavior. the illegal alien argument is straw man. it doesn't speak to anything about whether or not these businesses are causing crime, and whether or not these businesses are injecting money into the economy in one manner or another.

Old 07-14-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
Because it's their own property? If I own a house and a thug or crackhead is hanging out on my lawn I make sure they are kicked out by any means necessary. These owners don't do that. In fact many of them don't care.

Same for most of the city chains, the new downtown/Halsey Village places, the 3-4 star places on Bloomfield Ave, etc.
again - is loitering against the law? in some towns it is. if it isn't, the business owner can ask people to leave the area in front of their store, but that's it. if people are in their restaurant and spending money, they have no reason to ask them to leave. how many people are loitering in their business and not spending money?

you can kick someone off your lawn, but not off the sidewalk in front of your house.

Old 07-14-2011, 11:20 AM

Quote:
is it really a major issue in the Ironbound section? let's be honest, there are certain neighborhoods in Newark that have far more crime than others. The businesses in the more crime-ridden areas can try all they want to, but without some real enforcement of laws, how much can they accomplish? I'm all for community-watch type involvement, but even in my area, if I'm dealing with criminals where death is a possibility...I'm calling the police. If the city wants to force some businesses to have security guards, then the city should provide them as part of their police force. Obviously, the city thinks that area warrants someone there every night at 9pm...so why doesn't the city put someone there?

the legality of people employed in the reastaurant industry in general is questionable...but that goes on in small towns in central pennsylvania, and really has nothing to do with the crime discussion so I don't care. I don't believe the local fried chicken joint has any more incentive than any other cash-heavy business to fudge their sales receipts. Chinese restaurants often only accept cash...you think they are 100% tax-legitimate? Sales-tax fraud goes way back (think Crazy Eddies) is again, a different issue. Bottom line is, legal or illegal, the place is employing people who then spend their wages somewhere else and take part in the economy. It's better than those people, legal or illegal, being unemployed and part of the criminal element or other poor behavior. the illegal alien argument is straw man. it doesn't speak to anything about whether or not these businesses are causing crime, and whether or not these businesses are injecting money into the economy in one manner or another.
Who said anything about illegal aliens??

Bottom line...no they don't exactly cause the crime unless an employee is part of the gang in the area but they also do absolutely nothing to discourage it....take out at your own risk...and anyone who may be happening by at the wrong time

Old 07-14-2011, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Who said anything about illegal aliens??

Bottom line...no they don't exactly cause the crime unless an employee is part of the gang in the area but they also do absolutely nothing to discourage it....take out at your own risk...and anyone who may be happening by at the wrong time
i thought the illegal employee reference was for illegals...i guess it could just be under the table workers.

i just don't see how a business is supposed to do something to discourage crime, other than continueing to conduct business in these neighborhoods rather than flee them because they are crappy.

you think the businesses enjoy being exposed to crime? do these businesses really want the crime, or would they prefer to be running their business in a safe neighborhood? honestly - i think the focus of blame is completely misdirected. the businesses are not the issue. the criminals, and the lack of enforcement of laws are the issues. whether that means Newark needs more cops, better cops, better security tools...i don't know. but what i do know is...a security guard at a KFC knockoff isn't solving murders, and sure as **** isn't preventing them.

Old 07-14-2011, 12:18 PM

Quote:
i thought the illegal employee reference was for illegals...i guess it could just be under the table workers.

i just don't see how a business is supposed to do something to discourage crime, other than continueing to conduct business in these neighborhoods rather than flee them because they are crappy.

you think the businesses enjoy being exposed to crime? do these businesses really want the crime, or would they prefer to be running their business in a safe neighborhood? honestly - i think the focus of blame is completely misdirected. the businesses are not the issue. the criminals, and the lack of enforcement of laws are the issues. whether that means Newark needs more cops, better cops, better security tools...i don't know. but what i do know is...a security guard at a KFC knockoff isn't solving murders, and sure as **** isn't preventing them.
Yes exactly

Old 07-14-2011, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Yes exactly
which, is extremely common in the restaurant industry, and not unique to them.

remains to be seen, but i think it's a draconian law that really accomplishes nothing but descriminating against specific businesses in lower income, crime ridden neighborhoods.

Old 09-28-2012, 05:48 PM

271 posts, read 417,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
Actually I'm 28 and often chow down well past 7. These ain't your McDs, KFCs, Subways, Italian pizzerias, etc. These are unkept, worn-out fried chicken shacks--many with bulletproof glass. They are unsavory, unhealthy and often attractted mischief late at night for years.
marv where are you from so i can say ignorant statements degraded your town based on no prior knowledge ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey