Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 05:07 PM

4 posts, read 11,038 times

Advertisements

how does it compare to Westfield. How are the schools, is it faster to take bus or train to get to midtown NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2011, 06:20 PM

1,049 posts, read 4,020,165 times
Cranford is very comparable to Westfield, although at a lower price point. the schools rank very close to Westfield. Prices have not taken much of a hit here so be ready to pony up. Cranford is a seller's market.

Old 07-10-2011, 12:48 PM

189 posts, read 582,619 times
Both towns have fantastic schools and have both weathered the market relatively well. As far as whether the bus or train is faster will depends on the time of day, but I think they're about the same.. The train has a transfer in Newark and the bus is obviously a one seat ride.

Old 07-11-2011, 10:55 AM

136 posts, read 240,355 times
From personal experience, the inventory in Cranford is much smaller than in WF. I am having a hard time looking there! But I have a diva husband, so that may be the problem

Old 07-11-2011, 12:50 PM

1,931 posts, read 3,413,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiggerNY View Post
Both towns have fantastic schools and have both weathered the market relatively well. As far as whether the bus or train is faster will depends on the time of day, but I think they're about the same.. The train has a transfer in Newark and the bus is obviously a one seat ride.

Cranford does in fact have good schools but they are good because parents care. The teachers are not any better then say Union but the parents care more and are more involved in their children's lives. This in turn produces a better school.

Old 07-11-2011, 01:05 PM

I wouldnt necessarily say its because the parents "care" more, but rather there is a correlation of socioeconomic factors and school performance. Does that mean that wealthier parents care more about their children than less well off parents? Of course not. It just means that they have the resources to be able to provide for their children.

Old 07-11-2011, 01:11 PM

861 posts, read 2,717,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bababua View Post
Cranford does in fact have good schools but they are good because parents care. The teachers are not any better then say Union but the parents care more and are more involved in their children's lives. This in turn produces a better school.
I agree with this.
I used to sub in Cranford, and their teachers really are nothing special, but their PTA was unlike any other I have ever seen! It wasn't the wealth at all, but their level of involvement. (Though come to think of it, *stay at home moms* really do have much more time on their hands to invest in PTAs, so I guess wealth indirectly plays a factor...)

Old 07-11-2011, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherLynn822 View Post
I agree with this.
I used to sub in Cranford, and their teachers really are nothing special, but their PTA was unlike any other I have ever seen! It wasn't the wealth at all, but their level of involvement. (Though come to think of it, *stay at home moms* really do have much more time on their hands to invest in PTAs, so I guess wealth indirectly plays a factor...)

This is exactly my point. With two working parents (sometimes multiple jobs each), there isnt as much time to spend with the children or have involvement in the schools. I don't think I'm going out on a limb by saying the wealthier the town, the more discretionary time (and money) to spend on the children which has a direct result on their school engagement.

Old 07-11-2011, 01:49 PM

861 posts, read 2,717,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiggerNY View Post
This is exactly my point. With two working parents (sometimes multiple jobs each), there isnt as much time to spend with the children or have involvement in the schools. I don't think I'm going out on a limb by saying the wealthier the town, the more discretionary time (and money) to spend on the children which has a direct result on their school engagement.
Yeah, you're definitely right in saying that... the wealth is absolutely an indirect factor.

Old 07-11-2011, 02:35 PM

136 posts, read 240,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherLynn822 View Post
Yeah, you're definitely right in saying that... the wealth is absolutely an indirect factor.
I would say its a pretty direct factor. Wealthy parents have resources besides time to help their kids. Have you all been reading about turoring and such that parents get for their kids? Even in top tier Manhattan private schools, which run 40K a year, parents are spending another 40K on specialized tutoring for SATs, AP exams and the rest. Look at Short Hills, Westfield and such, the more expensive towns have better schools. It is not a coincidence folks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey