U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2011, 07:43 AM

5 posts, read 22,172 times

Advertisements

Cooling: Central Air
Heating: Natural Gas (Forced Air)
almost 10-year old unit
1st level: garage; 2nd level: living room+kitchen; 3rd level: bedrooms
Could anybody lives in a similar unit give us an estimate?
Thanks.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 08:01 AM

2,791 posts, read 10,199,113 times
This depends on many factors....insulation, temps, unit efficiency, etc. I would estimate $200/month. That was my average for a 3br house and a 3 br townhouse.

Old 07-10-2011, 09:11 AM

17,375 posts, read 21,226,478 times
The unknown factors are numerous, but they are chiefly the quality of the insulation and weather-sealing of the house, the efficiency level of both furnace and A/C unit, and also the temperature at which the homeowner sets the thermostat.

Regarding the latter point, various people have widely-differing comfort levels with both their heat in the winter and their A/C in the summer. Those who "are always cold" might set their thermostat to 78 degrees in the winter, thus leading to incredibly high bills for natural gas.

Conversely, those who always feel hot might set their thermostat for 62 degrees in the summer. I actually know a family of morbidly obese people who keep their A/C set for 62 degrees in the summer, and the A/C never cycles off!

Then, you have relatively thrifty folks (like me) who keep the thermostat set to 68-69 degrees in the winter--while dressing in a heavy sweat shirt for comfort, and who keep the thermostat set for 73-74 in the summer--while wearing shorts and a tank top, and using ceiling fans to supplement the cooling effect of the A/C. Please note that I boost the temp in the winter when I have guests, and I reduce the temp in the summer for the comfort of guests.

And then, you have the folks who are just plain cheap, but refuse to admit it. I have a friend whose house is absolutely frigid in the winter, and when asked about the very low temperature, she replies--"I like it very cool in the house". Then, when summer rolls around and her visitors sweat profusely, she claims that she likes it very warm in the house.

Of course, a more honest statement would be, "I'm really trying to economize, so please pardon the extreme temperature in here", but instead, she tries to fool others--and perhaps herself.

All of this being said, my PSEG bills can vary anwhere from $130-$400 a month, depending on the weather and the season. My detached home, with 4 bedrooms/3 baths and ~2,000 sq ft is 15 years old.

Old 07-11-2011, 08:34 AM

177 posts, read 415,918 times
$500 or so a month.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:12 AM

861 posts, read 2,562,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yopana View Post
Cooling: Central Air
Heating: Natural Gas (Forced Air)
almost 10-year old unit
1st level: garage; 2nd level: living room+kitchen; 3rd level: bedrooms
Could anybody lives in a similar unit give us an estimate?
Thanks.
Are you gas & electric on the same bill?
Combined I would guestimate about combined total of about $300 a month on average (probably on the higher end of that summer/winter, lower in fall/spring.)

Old 07-11-2011, 11:42 AM
bay

425 posts, read 2,805,260 times
It really depends. Size? Any one home during day time? Temperture set for winter and summer? We used to live in 2 bedroom condo (1310 sqft) in Jersey City, but we only have 1 floor. We set AC on 80 degree in summer and 68 in winter when there is someone home. Our average gas+electricty bill is 150 in winter and 80 in summer. We both work so no one is home during day time. Even now we live in 2880 sq ft 50-year-old single family, our gas and elec combined bill in summer is 180 and highest in winter is 400.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey