U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 08:48 AM

21 posts, read 33,203 times
Default Resident Declares War on Westfield Mayor

What's going on?

Haas Supports Moving Stoplight; Resident Declares War on Mayor - Westfield, NJ Patch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 10:23 AM

11,316 posts, read 7,788,621 times
person moves onto busy street? i'm assuming it's somewhat busy, since a light was placed there to improve safety. if it's at the corner, wouldn't it be in someone else's yard? it's not on her property, i'm sure...it's on the city part of her property. unless she can prove, other than anectdotal evidence, that the current location is unsafe...what exactly is she arguing? she doesn't like how it looks. i understand that. it sucks. but it's going to be somewhere that someone doesn't like it, isn't it?

Old 07-13-2011, 12:03 PM

379 posts, read 678,480 times
I drive by this "pedestrian light" every day to and from work. They put it in a stupid location, it's not at an intersection, and can be confusing to anyone not familiar with the area. I've personally witnessed a car attempting to turn into the driveway thinking it was a street.

The affected homeowners might have their interests better served if they had someone a little less emotional, and more articulate speaking on their behalf at the town council meetings though.

Old 07-13-2011, 12:10 PM

11,316 posts, read 7,788,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Jalikeakick View Post
I drive by this "pedestrian light" every day to and from work. They put it in a stupid location, it's not at an intersection, and can be confusing to anyone not familiar with the area. I've personally witnessed a car attempting to turn into the driveway thinking it was a street.

The affected homeowners might have their interests better served if they had someone a little less emotional, and more articulate speaking on their behalf at the town council meetings though.
there is a light like this in Union City, but it's because a park is intersected by a road. so it's a light in the middle of the block, to allow people to use a crosswalk.

i don't know the specifics of this light in westfield, but drivers seeing a light should know what to do. red means stop. yellow means slow down, prepare to stop (though how many people in jersey actually do that?).

a light should be able to be placed anywhere, and people know what to do when they see one.

Old 07-13-2011, 12:40 PM

379 posts, read 678,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
there is a light like this in Union City, but it's because a park is intersected by a road. so it's a light in the middle of the block, to allow people to use a crosswalk.

i don't know the specifics of this light in westfield, but drivers seeing a light should know what to do. red means stop. yellow means slow down, prepare to stop (though how many people in jersey actually do that?).

a light should be able to be placed anywhere, and people know what to do when they see one.
i agree with you about knowing what to do if you see red, yellow etc. but the confusion happens and when it's not flashing. it's about 30 ft or so (that's a guess) before an actual intersection. The pedestrian light and street markings create the false impression of the intersection ahead, causing some to initiate their turn too early (into a driveway), or to hesitate etc.

the problem could easily be solved by just moving the light to the actual intersection.

Old 07-13-2011, 01:05 PM

4,554 posts, read 8,310,800 times
Id like one of these in front of my house.

Old 07-13-2011, 02:29 PM

3,718 posts, read 5,558,920 times
She should move to Newark by one of them chicken shacks that have the drive by shootings. Then her complaint might be considered. Luv it.

Old 07-13-2011, 03:38 PM

627 posts, read 1,075,892 times
Trouble in the paradise of Westfield?

Old 07-13-2011, 05:23 PM

3,359 posts, read 4,840,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
She should move to Newark by one of them chicken shacks that have the drive by shootings. Then her complaint might be considered. Luv it.
Well they could move one of those drive by all night chicken joints to WF, but I think it wouldn't agree with the zoning there.

Old 07-14-2011, 07:35 AM

133 posts, read 83,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin1975 View Post
Trouble in the paradise of Westfield?
Oh goody, when are the prices coming down!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey