Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2011, 12:37 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,782,648 times

Advertisements

This happened yesterday, and because of the police blockades, a lot of us who work in the area had trouble getting home.

Prosecutor: Parking dispute led to NJ shooting, standoff | 6abc.com

1 dead, 1 hurt after standoff ends | Philadelphia Inquirer | 07/15/2011

Man is shot, feared dead as Ewing police continue standoff with barricaded gunman | NJ.com

In a nutshell, yesterday (Thursday 7/14) around 12:30 PM, people called 911 hearing shots fired around the Versailles Apartments, in Ewing, right next to Trenton Psych Hospital and right across from Trenton Country Club. A man was lying in the parking lot, but no one could get to him because a man with a gun was barricaded in an apartment. SWAT teams from 3 counties, plus the local and State police had the whole area blocked off, and it took 8 hours for them to apprehend the shooter. He had shot himself in the head, but is alive and in custody in the hospital. The poor guy he shot lay in the parking lot for 8 hours with no help, and died at some point while lying there. Evidently the dispute was over a parking space!

Many of us are wondering why no one could have gotten to the victim sooner. It is unclear, but the shooter may have shot himself right after shooting the victim, and that would mean the whole "standoff" was unecessary. I can't understand how someone in a bullet-proof vest could not have run over and dragged the victim to safety so he could be worked on. Hell, I'm no EMT, but I would have volunteered to do it. I know there was a danger that if someone went to him, they could be shot (no one knew at the time the shooter was probably incapacitated), but I think that police and EMS accept that kind of danger. Granted, we don't know a lot right now, but the general consensus around here is that we're appalled that no one had the courage to go to attend to the victim. Yes you'd be risking your life, but you're risking your life to save another life. That's what it's all about, right?

Anyway, wanted to share this story since there is no thread on here yet, and so see what others thought, and if they know anything else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2011, 07:22 AM

40,049 posts, read 34,468,621 times
Just imagine how much it will cost the taxpayers, to lavish care upon some idiot who shot another human being over a parking space. If you're looking for signs that civilization is about to come to an end...there's one now!

Old 07-16-2011, 09:49 AM

5,815 posts, read 12,571,727 times
Default and so see what others thought

Good for you, you would have walked into an open lot with a shooter nearby and dragged a man to safety that might have been dead already. I think the marines are calling.

Old 07-16-2011, 05:18 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,637,112 times
Quote:
understand how someone in a bullet-proof vest could not have run over and dragged the victim to safety so he could be worked on
A IIIA vest is useless against rifle ammo. Nor is a vest any use to a head shot. If you think an auto body will stop a round, try standing behind one as someone shoots into it. Unlike TV, they stop NOTHING.

The shooter was still firing and armed. Sending more victims out proves what? The autopsy proved he was probably dead on the spot from the first shot to the abdominal aorta. Risking your life isn't throwing it asway on a suicide mission. Who goes out and gets the second guy?

Quote:
I would have volunteered to do it.
OKI, you run out into a open field and I'll take shots at you from wehat was probably less than thirty yards. As someone who can hit targets out to six hundred with iron sights care to estimate your chances?

Old 07-16-2011, 09:00 PM

3,403 posts, read 4,434,659 times
I find it hard to believe they let a man die right in front of their eyes while standing around for 8 hours. This is kinda like that story where a bunch of people out in California, including rescue personnel, watched a man who was struggling out at sea for 20 minutes(or somewhere around there) before he drowned.

Last edited by TylerJAX; 07-16-2011 at 09:12 PM..

Old 07-16-2011, 09:10 PM

17,574 posts, read 45,971,621 times
I guess I assumed the police had some kind of equipment to deal with this type of thing. Either some kind of bullet proof shields or some type of vehicle that could act as a shield to rescue someone in that situation. I guess not.

Old 07-16-2011, 09:49 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,003,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
This happened yesterday, and because of the police blockades, a lot of us who work in the area had trouble getting home.

Prosecutor: Parking dispute led to NJ shooting, standoff | 6abc.com

1 dead, 1 hurt after standoff ends | Philadelphia Inquirer | 07/15/2011

Man is shot, feared dead as Ewing police continue standoff with barricaded gunman | NJ.com

In a nutshell, yesterday (Thursday 7/14) around 12:30 PM, people called 911 hearing shots fired around the Versailles Apartments, in Ewing, right next to Trenton Psych Hospital and right across from Trenton Country Club. A man was lying in the parking lot, but no one could get to him because a man with a gun was barricaded in an apartment. SWAT teams from 3 counties, plus the local and State police had the whole area blocked off, and it took 8 hours for them to apprehend the shooter. He had shot himself in the head, but is alive and in custody in the hospital. The poor guy he shot lay in the parking lot for 8 hours with no help, and died at some point while lying there. Evidently the dispute was over a parking space!

Many of us are wondering why no one could have gotten to the victim sooner. It is unclear, but the shooter may have shot himself right after shooting the victim, and that would mean the whole "standoff" was unecessary. I can't understand how someone in a bullet-proof vest could not have run over and dragged the victim to safety so he could be worked on. Hell, I'm no EMT, but I would have volunteered to do it. I know there was a danger that if someone went to him, they could be shot (no one knew at the time the shooter was probably incapacitated), but I think that police and EMS accept that kind of danger. Granted, we don't know a lot right now, but the general consensus around here is that we're appalled that no one had the courage to go to attend to the victim. Yes you'd be risking your life, but you're risking your life to save another life. That's what it's all about, right?

Anyway, wanted to share this story since there is no thread on here yet, and so see what others thought, and if they know anything else.
TracySam, I understand your horror at the thought of this poor victim laying in the parking lot, dying, with lots of police and EMTs around. Very disturbing.

But you know the area, pretty big apt. complex, near businesses, Trenton Pysch and Trenton Country Club, lunch time, lots of traffic. The cops had a lot to consider.

The cops need to keep the area as secure as possible, EMTs' do not go into dangerous, unstable situations.

The little solace is that the victim probably succumbed within minutes of being shot.

EWING STANDOFF: Bail set at $1 million for accused killer as family mourns victim - trentonian.com

The shooter was a hunter and heavily armed, they knew what apt. he was in, so I'm not sure why it took 8 hours to conclude this situation but no one else was hurt.

Old 07-18-2011, 11:52 AM

Okay, when I first posted this, there was no evidence that the victim had died immediately after being shot. The news reports said he lay there and died some time during the 8 hours he was left there. One report even said he was seen moving slightly.

I still think someone should have run in and grabbed him, despite the danger. Police and fire fighters are heroes, and heroes would have no problem doing that. But their leaders, the bureaucrats, probably prevented them from doing so. There's nothing special about me, and I'd have no problem doing that (provided I could physically move an adult man). They had lots of armored vans around; they could have driven one right up to where he was.

The police did an excellent job of clearing the area and blocking off all the roads close by. No one else would have been endangered. There was no traffic, and everyone from nearby businesses and TPH was directed to other routes.

Old 07-18-2011, 02:04 PM

Here's more info on the victim.

Man shot dead in Ewing has Bucks ties - phillyBurbs.com : Courier Times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey