U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2007, 08:51 AM

197 posts, read 699,024 times

Advertisements

I was currently comparing prices/taxes in these two areas and am very tempted to move over the bridge. The mortgage payments are seem more affordable. NJ just doesn't have much to offer anymore. You ger more bang for your buck in PA. I noticed that some of the townhouses have finished basements for under 300k. In NJ it would cost you over 300k maybe 350k depending on the area. Anybody have feelings on this topic or get tempted to do the same?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2007, 11:36 PM

3,350 posts, read 7,177,678 times
Bucks County is a beautiful area; lower property taxes, much lower car insurance, certain towns have good schools, but the commute to get into NJ to work is busy. And you have to pay some sort of strange tax if you buy in a new development. The area is much nicer than Centeral NJ

Old 08-11-2007, 02:31 AM

537 posts, read 1,539,970 times
I was actually on this board to find out about relocating to NJ from California. I just talked to a friend of mine in Princeton and he suggested Bucks County over NJ. My husband's office is in King of Prussia but he would work out of the house so he will not have to commute there often. We were excited at the prospect of perhaps moving in order to trim our cost of living. Now after reading these boards and talking to people it seems NJ is just as expensive as So. Cal. The only difference seems to be that you may get a little bit bigger home and more yard but with the hight taxes it probably evens out. I think if we do move it will be to PA.

Old 08-11-2007, 08:39 AM

2,866 posts, read 7,970,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oc2nyc View Post
I was actually on this board to find out about relocating to NJ from California. I just talked to a friend of mine in Princeton and he suggested Bucks County over NJ. My husband's office is in King of Prussia but he would work out of the house so he will not have to commute there often. We were excited at the prospect of perhaps moving in order to trim our cost of living. Now after reading these boards and talking to people it seems NJ is just as expensive as So. Cal. The only difference seems to be that you may get a little bit bigger home and more yard but with the hight taxes it probably evens out. I think if we do move it will be to PA.
If your husband can work out of the house, why don't you move to Lancaster County which is closer to King OF Prussia than bucks county. There you will get a lot more for your money. A friend of mine who lives in Philly can't wait until he moves to that area. He has been doing alot of scotting around for homes there. I'm sure going that way will be less traffic wise.
California house prices have become so high a good deal of the Californians are selling small houses there and buying hugh homes in the Nashville suburbs and still having money left over.

Old 08-11-2007, 11:49 PM

Lancaster County is beautiful countryside Love it there!

Old 08-14-2007, 10:43 PM

6 posts, read 14,055 times
Default From NY, live in Bucks and don't like it, moving to NJ...

I currently live in Warrington, PA located in Bucks County. We have decided to put our house up for sale and move to New Jersey and here is the reason...

My husband grew up in Philadelphia and I grew up in the NY area on Long Island. I never particularlly loved any specific area of Long Island so when presented with the diffucult choice of either buying a house on Long Island or moving to Pennsylvania, I agreed to move to Pennsylvania. Bucks County to be exact. We wanted more for our money and we got just that and more.

Less taxes, prettier houses, more land, cheaper house prices. Along with those perks also came many negativities for me... no beaches, no family, no friends, no NYC, no 'normal' people, no ethnenticity, no cultural diversity, no deli's, no egg sandwhiches, no bagels, no NY Yankees, No NY Giants, No Rockerfellar Center Christmas Tree lightings, no Hamptons, no Fire Island, etc...

For me, moving back to Long Island is not an option because of my husband's job but staying here is also not an option for me. It's pretty and it will be just as pretty when I visit. New Jersey is the compromise, Monmouth County near the beach and close to Manhattan, and I can't wait. For me, the lack of culture & amenaties outways the pricing and beauty. NJ HERE I COME!!!

Old 08-15-2007, 08:21 AM

7,939 posts, read 12,951,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcheltrvel View Post
I

no NY Yankees, No NY Giants
!!!
Those sound like positives to me...

Old 08-15-2007, 10:12 AM

1 posts, read 4,169 times
I am very familiar with Bucks county. It is also getting quite expensive to buy and live. I live on the border and I would jump for the lower taxes. I think housing is roughly the same costs. I do not understand why there isn't a revolt regarding NJ taxes!

Old 08-15-2007, 11:45 AM

back to Monmouth County? Yuck. No culture there. Full of shopping malls, shore traffic, low class people on going to the shore for the day, tacky baordwalks, having to pay to get on the beach, not much diversity, bad schools, dumpy houses
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey