Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 07:23 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,851,140 times

Advertisements

I honestly think we need to reform our sex laws , bring them into the 21st Century.... Teens have sex , and do stupid things , but they shouldn't be punished for the rest of there lives.... Same goes for regular crimes.... The whole system needs an upgrade... Why do have 4 Million + people in Jail? Thats more then any country on this planet..... Sexting should be a sex offender offence but a fine , or some jail time.... And why after every horrific crime do we get a new law?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 08:19 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,141,127 times
So if they would have held down the boys and punched them in the face a few times it probably would have been less punishment long term than what they got. Hardly seems right.

Old 07-20-2011, 11:35 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,767,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
So if they would have held down the boys and punched them in the face a few times it probably would have been less punishment long term than what they got. Hardly seems right.

I would rather get a few punches in the face then have some guy rub his naked ass in my face

I don't really agree with the sex offender status, but it is highly inappropriate behavior so I don't have a huge issue with it.

Old 07-21-2011, 12:00 AM

10,181 posts, read 10,257,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Just shaking my head here....what does everyone else think?

2 N.J. teens labeled sex offenders for life after 'horseplay' incident | NJ.com
I'm thinking Megan's Law has over extended itself.

Kids are stupid.

I would absolutely be outraged if some kid did this to one of mine.

Then again, where were the adults?

The parents?

Gotta watch your kids b/c "horseplay" (as gross as it were) can apparently lead to a life-long monkey on their back.

While the Casey Anthony's of the world get off scott free and NAMBLA is "protected".

Go figure.

Old 07-21-2011, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
I would rather get a few punches in the face then have some guy rub his naked ass in my face

I don't really agree with the sex offender status, but it is highly inappropriate behavior so I don't have a huge issue with it.
Should they be punished? Absolutely. Punished for life and labeled a sex offender? No way in hell.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:21 AM

2,105 posts, read 6,662,410 times
Quote:
Punished for life
It isn't for life. It's 15 years. It the crime was committed when they were 13, it would have been much less.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:57 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,687,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rscalzo View Post
It isn't for life. It's 15 years. It the crime was committed when they were 13, it would have been much less.
Their current sentence requires them to be on the sex offender registry for life. There is nothing about it only being a 15 year thing. Had they been 13, they most likely wouldn't have faced the lifelong registry requirement per earlier precedent.

From the article:

Quote:
Call it bullying or call it horseplay. Either way, a state appellate court panel says roughhousing with a sexual connotation by a pair of 14-year-old Somerset County boys was a crime that requires them to register as sex offenders for the rest of their lives.
Being required to be on the registry is a lifelong sentence. Everytime they move, they need to register and their neighbors are informed. Their names will turn up in searches on the offender list, which is as easy as going to a webpage and typing in a zipcode. Whenever they apply for a job, school, whatever, it will show up on their background check.

So, because they put their butts on another kids face when they were 14, they will now be labelled for life as the scum of society. Twenty years from now no one is going to bother to read the details of why they're on the list, they'll just see that they are. Imagine when they have families and kids and they want to coach their son's little league team, they will be banned from doing so. They won't be able to volunteer at school or become teachers. What about their kids, "sorry Jimmy you can't go over Tommy's house, his daddy is a sex offender".

This is completely ridiculous and way overblown. These kids did nothing that hasn't happened a thousand times before, heck I've seen it done. It's not sexual and falls on the line between horseplay and bullying and that line is detemined by the "victims" response. This should have been treated as a bullying incident and punished as such. However, because of poorly written reactive laws and zealous prosecution we are now going to destroy the lives of two boys before they even start.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscalzo View Post
Everything I have read said they will have to register as sex offenders for the rest of their lives. Is that not true?

Old 07-21-2011, 08:26 AM

46 posts, read 150,635 times
What these kids did was reprehensible - close your eyes and form a mental picture of what these kids did....disgusting right? Now think about it if is was your daughter, sister, niece, whomever.....yes, they deserve a harsh punishment.

However, the stigma of "sex offender" for the rest of their lives??? A bit too harsh. I would really like to know how the parents of the victims feel about this punishment.

Yes, literally, the crime & punishment fits in accordance with Megan's Law; however, these Public Servants (judges, legislators) work for us. We do not elect them (and pay them) to pass laws without considering all aspects of the implications. Nor do we pay them to hear a case, open the "guide" book, hand down whatever the book says, and go play a round of golf!

These judges are supposed to be intelligent and, dare I say, wise? What were the motives of the Prosecutor (ego? re-election?) in deciding the charges? Did they look at the background of the defendants?

The majority here seems to be dissatisfied with the outcome. We could all write to the State Legislature to voice our opinions - a right we are granted by our Constitution. That is the action I am taking - how about you all. Sit at you computer;***** and complain; or, invoke your right as an American to tell the Powers That Be - that this is NOT OK. Your Choice!

Old 07-21-2011, 08:45 AM

572 posts, read 2,021,913 times
Without knowing the background of the defendants who were found guilty it is very difficult to judge if this sentence is too harsh. What if they have had other violence issues? What if this is not the first time that they have made inappropriate sexual advances or touching?

Not that I am saying that I agree with the punishment, but without all of the facts I can not say that I honestly disagree with it either. The fact that these boys, who at 14 should have known better, forcably held down this other boy, pulled their pants down and wiggled around bare butt on his face is absolutely deplorable and is certainly not just "horseplay".

IMO this was absolutely assualt in a sexual nature, and anyone who says any differently is not looking at the situation rationally. Imagine the victim being your kid, or even worse you. Would you not feel violated?

If this had been a girl that they did this to instead of a boy I would almost guarantee that everyone would be singing a different tune here...which is a shame because I guarantee you that the victim of this is going to need years of counseling.

And as far as the judges being wise and not using the "guidebook" the way the law is written gives them NO discression. Just like any other sentencing guideline, they are bound by what the law says, and in this case as they were found guilty of a sex crime and are over the age of 13 this is the minimum sentence that the judges could have imposed....and let's not forget that 1 of the boys pled guilty after consultation with his attorney who I am certain would have known the law and the consequences of doing so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAC0302 View Post
What these kids did was reprehensible - close your eyes and form a mental picture of what these kids did....disgusting right? Now think about it if is was your daughter, sister, niece, whomever.....yes, they deserve a harsh punishment.

However, the stigma of "sex offender" for the rest of their lives??? A bit too harsh. I would really like to know how the parents of the victims feel about this punishment.

Yes, literally, the crime & punishment fits in accordance with Megan's Law; however, these Public Servants (judges, legislators) work for us. We do not elect them (and pay them) to pass laws without considering all aspects of the implications. Nor do we pay them to hear a case, open the "guide" book, hand down whatever the book says, and go play a round of golf!

These judges are supposed to be intelligent and, dare I say, wise? What were the motives of the Prosecutor (ego? re-election?) in deciding the charges? Did they look at the background of the defendants?

The majority here seems to be dissatisfied with the outcome. We could all write to the State Legislature to voice our opinions - a right we are granted by our Constitution. That is the action I am taking - how about you all. Sit at you computer;***** and complain; or, invoke your right as an American to tell the Powers That Be - that this is NOT OK. Your Choice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: