Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 06:05 AM

683 posts, read 464,116 times

Advertisements

I wonder if those people who "run" these big companies realize that by screwing the regular people, they will, in turn, screw their own kids, grandchildren, etc.

It all points to the trickle down effect. Start screwing the American people, put us out on the corner selling apples and pencils, and everything starts to fall apart. They and their families won't be immune to this forever. With people becoming desparate for money, etc., odds are that they or their children will somehow find themselves in a circumstance that they are on the wrong side of the "gun".

They might be in a bank that is going to be robbed by Joe "Regular" Citizen who is desparate to save his house, or be in a place where a newly fired worker goes "postal" (and forgive me for using that term...but I think it describes the situation).

They can't live in a bubble forever without being affected. It might not hurt them now, but a year, two years or even five years down the road, somehow it will come back to bite them in the "a**" in some way shape or form.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 09:46 AM

807 posts, read 1,032,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzsaz View Post
I wonder if those people who "run" these big companies realize that by screwing the regular people, they will, in turn, screw their own kids, grandchildren, etc.

It all points to the trickle down effect. Start screwing the American people, put us out on the corner selling apples and pencils, and everything starts to fall apart. They and their families won't be immune to this forever. With people becoming desparate for money, etc., odds are that they or their children will somehow find themselves in a circumstance that they are on the wrong side of the "gun".

They might be in a bank that is going to be robbed by Joe "Regular" Citizen who is desparate to save his house, or be in a place where a newly fired worker goes "postal" (and forgive me for using that term...but I think it describes the situation).

They can't live in a bubble forever without being affected. It might not hurt them now, but a year, two years or even five years down the road, somehow it will come back to bite them in the "a**" in some way shape or form.
I doubt they care, much like kings of old could care less about the commoners. When you gain riches and status, it does something to you psychologically. You start believing you are better than everyone else.

We really haven't evolved much over the past 4000 years. We still fight wars, we are still selfish, we still treat others like animals.

I do believe if things continue to go downhill, namely the gap between rich and poor continues to increase and the middle class disappears, there will be a rise in extremists activity, bordering revolution. Sadly this could be averted if the rich and big business developed some semblance of social conscience. There is nothing wrong with making money, but it can not be done without regard for society as a whole.

Old 07-29-2011, 01:00 PM

21 posts, read 110,109 times
Very sad The rich always get richer and yet they complain the most.

Old 07-29-2011, 01:46 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,932,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred44 View Post
I doubt they care, much like kings of old could care less about the commoners. When you gain riches and status, it does something to you psychologically. You start believing you are better than everyone else.

We really haven't evolved much over the past 4000 years. We still fight wars, we are still selfish, we still treat others like animals.

I do believe if things continue to go downhill, namely the gap between rich and poor continues to increase and the middle class disappears, there will be a rise in extremists activity, bordering revolution. Sadly this could be averted if the rich and big business developed some semblance of social conscience. There is nothing wrong with making money, but it can not be done without regard for society as a whole.
What would it mean for them to "develop a social conscience"? Put it in plain English. Do you want the rich to hand over large chunks of their money, and big businesses to stop trying to make a profit?

Old 07-29-2011, 02:52 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,619,874 times
Default and big businesses to stop trying to make a profit

If I read into what he's typing he means- for example instead of Exxon making a 10 billion profit in a quarter of a year would it be fair if they made 5 or 6 billion and hired some americans to work for a living. That goes with all the companies. They would rather pay a kid 46 cents a day in china then to pay an american 15-20 bucks an hour. Greed at it's finest, or should I say capitalism.

Old 07-29-2011, 03:01 PM

346 posts, read 498,031 times
Quote:
What would it mean for them to "develop a social conscience"? Put it in plain English. Do you want the rich to hand over large chunks of their money, and big businesses to stop trying to make a profit?
"Hand over" chunks of their money? "Stop" trying to make a profit? LOL Not sure where you get all this pity for the rich / big business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
If I read into what he's typing he means- for example instead of Exxon making a 10 billion profit in a quarter of a year would it be fair if they made 5 or 6 billion and hired some americans to work for a living. That goes with all the companies. They would rather pay a kid 46 cents a day in china then to pay an american 15-20 bucks an hour. Greed at it's finest, or should I say capitalism.
YES to this^^. And look at that- they'd still make a hefty profit. Business can still make a profit, but they should do this while not trying to hoard every penny for themselves. It is also better in the long run for them. When they hoard all the cash and people are too broke to buy their products, maybe then they'll understand. This is what Henry Ford understood back in the day and believed in paying his workers a decent living wage- so that more people could afford his products. That's having a social conscience.

Old 07-29-2011, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
So you want companies like Exxon to intentionally spend more money than they need to? I wonder how the stockholders would feel about that. I also wonder how many millions of average working class Americans own Exxon stock in their 401k or IRA, and how they'd appreciate your suggestion that the companies in which they invest should not make as much profit as they legally can.

Old 07-29-2011, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnip8056 View Post
"Hand over" chunks of their money? "Stop" trying to make a profit? LOL Not sure where you get all this pity for the rich / big business.

YES to this^^. And look at that- they'd still make a hefty profit. Business can still make a profit, but they should do this while not trying to hoard every penny for themselves. It is also better in the long run for them. When they hoard all the cash and people are too broke to buy their products, maybe then they'll understand. This is what Henry Ford understood back in the day and believed in paying his workers a decent living wage- so that more people could afford his products. That's having a social conscience.
It's not "pity" for anyone. It's a question. The post to which I responded said that the rich & businesses should develop a social conscience. I'd like to know what's meant by that. What do you want them to do?

Old 07-29-2011, 04:34 PM

683 posts, read 464,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catnip8056 View Post

Yes, this is exactly what is going to happen. People are going to STOP spending money either because they don't have it, or they are afraid to spend it. Like right after 9/11 when people were afraid to travel. It crushed the travel industry. If people stopped buying refridgerators, toys, clothing, travel, camping gear, furniture...then the whole country will start shriveling up........

Yes, this is exactly what is going to happen. People are going to STOP spending money either because they don't have it, or they are afraid to spend it. Like right after 9/11 when people were afraid to travel. It crushed the travel industry. If people stopped buying refridgerators, toys, clothing, travel, camping gear, furniture...then the whole country will start shriveling up........

Old 07-29-2011, 07:24 PM

807 posts, read 1,032,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
How about keeping jobs in this country? Do CEO's need to make a $1 billion a year? Isn't $500 million enough? Companies are making record profits right now. Yet they cry that they need more tax breaks. For what? To hire more people, in other countries? Ive always tried to encourage kids to study hard in math and science because that's where all the goods jobs will be. Can't really say that anymore, unless they plan on moving to China or India to find jobs when they graduate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey