U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 09:36 PM

7,574 posts, read 7,184,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskmd View Post
Again, I think she would see things at St Joe's that she would never see at Morristown/Overlook
I have to agree...I've been an R.N at St. Joe's for 15 years now, Pediatrics/NICU. You will not beat the experience there. I commuted from Bergen County for years to Paterson, 30 minute ride tops, and plenty of nieghboring towns that are very safe...West Paterson, for one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2007, 05:51 PM

272 posts, read 788,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emroyka View Post
I'm graduating from med school in Philadelphia and applying for residency in pediatrics. I'd like to stay in the mid-Atlantic area and was hoping to get some input as to these locations:

1) Jersey City - Mount Sinai School of Medicine (Jersey City)
2) Long Branch - Monmouth Medical Center
3) Morristown - Atlantic Health
4) Neptune - Jersey Shore University Medical Center
5) New Brunswick - St Peter's University Hospital and UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School
6) Newark - Beth Israel Medical Center and UMDNJ-New Jersey Medical School
7) Paterson - Mount Sinai School of Medicine (St Joseph's Regional Medical Center)

I know Newark's reportedly a hell-hole and JC, NB and Paterson aren't great either unfortunately. My med school's in the North Philly ghetto so I'm pretty used to it. But will it be possible for me to find a nice safe neighborhood to live in (as a single female) within say a 20 minute max commute? I'm not an experienced driver and given how exhausted I'll probably be, I'd really like to keep it to a minimum. I'd be making $35-40K per year so I wouldn't be looking to buy - something in the range of $1000/month rent would be more like it.

In the end I guess my bottom line is whether I should seriously consider NJ at all given these options - I love my current downtown/Center City location and don't want to move someplace I'd be miserable. Thanks!
St Joseph's Regional Medical Center wouldn't be a bad choice. The area around the hospital isn't too bad and you can live in a decent neighborhood within a 20 minute drive. Many highways in the area (Routes 80-46-21-20-19). For instance you could live in a nice community like Hasbrouck Heights and make it to work in 20-30 minutes by taking route 46.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey