Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 02:05 PM

76 posts, read 242,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyplayer9 View Post
Hi. I plan on moving to Hazlet or Middletown and I'm hearing a few different things.
The person who works in my building here in Staten Island said that if we go through a title company, TOTAL closing costs with a lawyer would be $1,500 tops.
Here in NY, it's more like $10,000 - $15,000.
We asked a RE agent in NJ and she said it would be $8,000+.
Can anybody with actual experience from recently moving to NJ tell us what the total closing costs are??
Thank you!!!!!
Anthony
It depends on what you include in closing costs. My lawyers charges were much less than that--about $900 IIRC. That was 3 years ago and for a simple sale. There are a number of minor costs--the town charged $100 for a Certificate of Occupancy (which consisted of having a guy come over and check the smoke detectors) and another $100 for having a final water reading taken. The big items are the transfer tax, like a sales tax, which depends on the price of the property of course, and the realtors cut (typically 5-6%). There's the cost of inspection, typically around $500, but that's done well before closing, and about the same amount for a survey; again, that's not really a closing cost. The big items are the movers' charges, realtors percentage, transfer tax, and lawyer's fee. The mover's charges vary widely depending how much stuff you're moving and how far. Overall, my total cost of moving, which was a typical move, was about $10,000. YMMV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 02:30 PM

572 posts, read 2,021,228 times
Mine were $8900 on a $225k condo a year ago.

Old 07-25-2011, 06:53 PM

1,173 posts, read 4,750,223 times
I can't remember exactly how much we paid but the seller gave us an $8K credit on our closing costs and we still had to come out of pocket with money.

Also, something I didn't see anyone mention here; if the home is oil heated you will have to pay for any oil that's already in the tank at closing. I can't think of any other utilities like this off the top of my head but if there are any utilities that are pre paid like oil you will also be responsible for paying the seller for the balance they leave behind.

ETA: Same with property taxes you have to pay for the prorated portion of the month you are there. I remember we end up having to scramble for a little extra money at our closing because the closing was delayed by a couple of days. We were orginally supposed to close at the end of the month and had the check all ready to go when it got pushed back we ended up closing at the begininng of the following month so we had to pay a larger portion of the months taxes at closing.

Last edited by icibiu; 07-25-2011 at 06:58 PM.. Reason: Added info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey