Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2011, 04:53 AM

714 posts, read 721,817 times

Advertisements

I just got my new cap price quote from my oil company and almost lost my teeth -- it is over a dollar above prevailing rate. I have been with this company almost 2 decades, but I've had enough. Does anyone know of a good company that also services the burners, has a budget (equal payment) plan and different pricing options that services Bergen County?

Please don't tell me to convert to gas; there is no gas line coming into the house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 09:00 PM

99 posts, read 477,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hackwriter View Post
I just got my new cap price quote from my oil company and almost lost my teeth -- it is over a dollar above prevailing rate. I have been with this company almost 2 decades, but I've had enough. Does anyone know of a good company that also services the burners, has a budget (equal payment) plan and different pricing options that services Bergen County?

Please don't tell me to convert to gas; there is no gas line coming into the house.
I know you don't want people to tell you to convert, but I have to say to anyone using oil heat: If gas is available in your area, and your heating plant (furnace, burner, tank, etc.) is getting or is ancient, conversion is likely your best option.

Here is the problem: The number of home heating oil companies are dwindling due to most new construction and existing home renovations involving the installation of gas-based heating systems.

Fewer providers present several issues for consumers. First, one owner may buy out another, thus reducing the competition even further. Second, with less competition, existing companies have no reason to offer a competitive price. The result is what hackwriter and others with oil heat are finding out and have probably realized over the past decade, if not longer. Third, fewer companies makes finding a "good" "better" or "not horrible" company MUCH harder. This is only going to get worse with each passing year. The writing is on the wall for oil heat, at least in many parts of New Jersey.

The service departments of most of these companies leave little to be desired, and service calls are expensive. The service contracts reduce the cost of the annual cleaning by very little. The last cleaning I had years ago was sub-standard. Only one small area was cleaned out When I later looked inside and found this, I got out a shop-vac and finished the job. I removed a LOT of left behind soot.

Oh, I should also mention that finding anyone OTHER than an oil company to service your oil burner or boiler is next to impossible. I found that out a few years ago after several calls and some research. If a problem develops, your two options are go it alone, or deal with the over-priced under-staffed poor-quality oil company service department

I am no plumbing expert, but I have rectified issues with my boilers over the years that the "experts" in the service departments couldn't figure out.

hackwriter, you are in Bergen County. Unless you live in the mountains in Mahwah, gas heat is probably available to you. Yes, there is the expense to run a gas line to the house (if you don't have one) and to either convert the existing boiler or replace it, but once you leap that hurdle, you are free from the binds of the oil company monopolies.

Gas heat is cleaner, is always there when you turn up the thermostat, and there are fewer problems to be had with the heating plant. Plus, PSE&G, or an equivalent, usually offers an optional service plan.

From my experiences, and the experiences of relatives who have dealt with oil companies in Bergen County for many years, I am sorry to say there are no "good" home heating oil companies, especially in Bergen County. Only those which are marginally better than others, and the time-clock for them is quickly ticking down.

If you want to stick it out with oil, however, I suggest looking through the phone book and calling the handful of companies which are listed and inquire about their rates/requirements/service contracts. That experience alone just might convince you to re-consider.

Old 07-08-2015, 07:50 AM

1 posts, read 973 times
heating oil is actually much cheaper than i thought. i found a company named northeast oil group. you can basically just order online like a normal retailer, which is nice for me since i work nights. they usually deliver next day. here is site if anyone is interested [url=http://www.northeastoilgroup.com]FREE Discount Online Oil Buying Group - Northeast Oil Group[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: