Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 10:03 AM

3 posts, read 3,232 times

Advertisements

Where are you coming from? Orlando, FL``
Why are you moving? Relocation for work.
Where will you be working ? Woodbridge, NJ
Will you buy or rent? Rent
What is your budget ? $1000 tops...
What kind of place are you looking for ? Apartment, condo, townhome...

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ? no

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in --- Safe (Sense of safety is no gang members hanging out on streets or being able to walk on the streets at night without being mugged or shot!) and urban/suburban (in the sense, either everything is accessible walking or there is parking space available i.e. don’t want to hunt and parallel park car each time we go to a restaurant or shopping).

List three things that are important to you in order of importance.(examples: nightlife, outdoor activities, rural/urban, safety, downtown area, charming, new construction, proximity to XYZ, family oriented, easy parking, short commute, etc)
1) Safety
2) Close to movie theatre, restaurants, shopping mall.
3)Commute tolerable

Thank you for any help you can give. I am open to any suggestions, I want to be comfortable, feel safe and be able to afford to live. I realize that my budget is limited, but I have committed travel plans every month. I am a woman in my early 30's, looking for a one bedroom place. I will be working in woodbridge, nj. Further details may follow, if necesary
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 07:55 PM

5,772 posts, read 16,586,846 times
I drive through that area most every day. My first impression is its a popular crowded area. Myself I like smaller towns a bit quieter where you might know more people. Actually around most parts of NJ you can find most any size town you desire. Sorry not getting more specific just yet, too much choice to comment on in that area. Maybe someone else can help nail it down better.

Old 07-28-2011, 12:27 AM

Default Open to commuting no more than 35 minutes to & from woodbridge

I am Open to commuting no more than 35 minutes to & from woodbridge. Should I adjust my flexibility or is this feasible. Have you any suggestions regarding neighboring towns? I grew up in New Jersey, but only familiar with the Florham Park, East Hanover area. I was born in Jersey City, but it has been several years. Are any parts of those areas affordable or safe?

Old 07-28-2011, 01:23 AM

1 posts, read 1,091 times
I am a 55 yr old,single and totally permanently disabled male collecting S.S. Disability. I am relocating from Brooksville ,Florida I am looking for a 1 bedroom,1 bath apt in a safe location somewhere in the Jackson,N.J. area. Somewhere close to a Medical Facility. Due to multiple injuries I cannot work,though I have had a good and long work history. I was hurt in a work related accident where my employer had no Workers Compensation Insurance so S.S.Disability is all I have.I recieve just under $1000.00 a month. Anyone who knows someone or can help me locate a place or Organization who can help me I would greatly appreciate it.Sincerely many thanks and God Bless America.

Old 07-28-2011, 06:08 AM

107 posts, read 221,143 times
For Woodbridge, you should consider Staten Island, too. Southern Staten Island, especially, has a very suburban feel to it. It would also be an easier commute than from somewhere like Jersey City.

Old 07-28-2011, 06:24 AM

88,567 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyLaSalle View Post
For Woodbridge, you should consider Staten Island, too. Southern Staten Island, especially, has a very suburban feel to it. It would also be an easier commute than from somewhere like Jersey City.
I disagree with this--she'll have an $8 toll every day just to get home. Except that yes, it would be easier than Jersey City. OP, I say look at downs a little further down the Garden State Parkway, in Monmouth County. Easy commute to Woodbridge, a little less congested, and cheaper than Staten Island or northern Jersey.

Old 07-28-2011, 06:41 AM

107 posts, read 221,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I disagree with this--she'll have an $8 toll every day just to get home. Except that yes, it would be easier than Jersey City. OP, I say look at downs a little further down the Garden State Parkway, in Monmouth County. Easy commute to Woodbridge, a little less congested, and cheaper than Staten Island or northern Jersey.
A commute being easy or not has to do with time, distance, traffic volume, etc. Not the toll. The toll has to do with it being expensive or not. There is a toll going one way, though, sure (curious that you never have to pay to get into New Jersey). If you get EZPass it's a bit less--a bit more than a gallon and a half of gas at the moment, so if one were to travel an extra 40 miles round trip otherwise (20 miles each way), it would work out the same in terms of expense.

Old 08-07-2011, 07:40 PM

Any suggestions regarding specific towns in the immediate area? I'm a workaholic, so I'll be spending all of my time working. Just need a safe town,within 15-20 miles of woodbridge, nj. I just don't want to shoot myself in the foot locking into an area I know practically nothing about. Have you any suggestions as to what I should be asking?

Old 08-07-2011, 10:10 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyLaSalle View Post
A commute being easy or not has to do with time, distance, traffic volume, etc. Not the toll. The toll has to do with it being expensive or not. There is a toll going one way, though, sure (curious that you never have to pay to get into New Jersey). If you get EZPass it's a bit less--a bit more than a gallon and a half of gas at the moment, so if one were to travel an extra 40 miles round trip otherwise (20 miles each way), it would work out the same in terms of expense.
The EZ-Pass toll is currently $8 during rush hour, and $6 off-peak. I believe there is a 20-trip ticket that costs something like $80 (you have to use it within 35 days), so that's one way of saving money.

The Port Authority plans to raise it, though. They're planning a pretty big hike ($12 peak and $10 off-peak), but I don't think they'll get away with raising it that high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhodi7 View Post
Any suggestions regarding specific towns in the immediate area? I'm a workaholic, so I'll be spending all of my time working. Just need a safe town,within 15-20 miles of woodbridge, nj. I just don't want to shoot myself in the foot locking into an area I know practically nothing about. Have you any suggestions as to what I should be asking?
I live in Staten Island, so I'm not too familiar with NJ, but maybe Woodbridge itself would work for you. I haven't heard anything bad about it, though I'm not sure how the rents are.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:15 AM

5,772 posts, read 16,586,846 times
There are many towns around Woodbridge that might float your boat. A little to the South, West or even North. Definitely not J City. Being that much closer to NYC you pay more for and then you want an area where people don't get shot daily, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey