U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 08:29 AM

133 posts, read 273,458 times

Advertisements

I got my first traffic ticket (2 point offense) and went to court to plea bargain – judge reduced the charge to a 0 point offense but I had to pay $439 fine for an $85 ticket.

Anyway, since I have (had?) a clean record, I am concerned that GEICO will increase my premium due to the ticket. I didn’t want to check with GEICO and alarm them of the ticket. I also checked and apparently I still have an one-time “accident forgiveness” benefit under my policy, although I really don’t want to use that here for a traffic offense.

Anyone here has similar experience or knowledge about my situation? I guess I can just wait and see but I figure I should give it a shot here. Any inputs would be appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 06:58 PM

383 posts, read 502,479 times
Nothing you can do. Just wait and see. But with the plea down to 0 pts, you shouldn't see an increase.

I've gotten a NY ticket that didn't affect my GEICO policy in NJ. (and that ticket transferred over at 2 pts)

Old 07-28-2011, 10:32 PM

3,704 posts, read 5,722,060 times
I wouldn't worry about it. Many ins co's only bother you if you have more than one moving violation, and that offense will show up as zero points "unsafe driving" or something similar. I would be incensed if they bothered you for that and consider another company. There's a bit of competition out there these days.

Old 07-29-2011, 07:54 AM

3,301 posts, read 3,112,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by balancesheet View Post
I got my first traffic ticket (2 point offense) and went to court to plea bargain – judge reduced the charge to a 0 point offense but I had to pay $439 fine for an $85 ticket.

Anyway, since I have (had?) a clean record, I am concerned that GEICO will increase my premium due to the ticket. I didn’t want to check with GEICO and alarm them of the ticket. I also checked and apparently I still have an one-time “accident forgiveness” benefit under my policy, although I really don’t want to use that here for a traffic offense.

Anyone here has similar experience or knowledge about my situation? I guess I can just wait and see but I figure I should give it a shot here. Any inputs would be appreciated. Thanks.
Insurance points are not the same as DMV points. Despite pleading down, it is possible you will still have 2 points on your insurance record that could lead to an increase in premiums. You can't do anything about it, it may happen, it may not.

The key thing is this: do not get any further violations. One 2-point violation will not kill you. But two violations in a short timeframe is an insurance "trend" and you will then be subject to getting hosed.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:18 AM

572 posts, read 1,022,543 times
There are no insurance points associated with an unsafe operation of a motor vehicle (which is the 0 point plea) un til you have gotten your 3rd...which generally will never happen because the prosecutor will normally only allow you to plead to it once.

Also, just an FYI that your accident forgiveness allowance would not be applicable for a violation, only an accident, which is why it is called accident forgiveness.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:26 AM

22 posts, read 48,005 times
For what it's worth I have Geico, got a speeding ticket about a year ago (was late to pick up my kids at school after being stuck in unexpected traffic, unsympathetic police officer, oh well.) and my rates did not go up. This was after years with Geico, and years (probably close to 20) of a perfect driving record.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:25 AM

Thanks for all the inputs - and just to give an update: I got my renewal package and there was a slight increase ($40) for 6 months. I don't think this increase has anything to do with the ticket since I just went to court last week. I am debating if I should call GEICO to check why there is an increase.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:44 AM

4,792 posts, read 9,811,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by balancesheet View Post
Thanks for all the inputs - and just to give an update: I got my renewal package and there was a slight increase ($40) for 6 months. I don't think this increase has anything to do with the ticket since I just went to court last week. I am debating if I should call GEICO to check why there is an increase.
I don't have a car anymore, but when I did, I had it insured through GEICO. Over the course of nearly 10 years I had a couple of tickets that I pleaded down to zero point violations. My insurance premium never increased as a result. However, GEICO did seem to creep the premium up about $30-$50 each year. I called about it once and they gave me some line about increased cost liability of insuring people in my area. So if they raised your premium $40, it's probably just another one of their scheduled hikes.

Marc's remark about DMV points vs. insurance company points is correct, though. Just because you plead down to a zero points violation, doesn't mean the insurance company cannot view your violation as "unsafe" and then nail you for it. I usually advise letting sleeping dogs lie, and not giving the insurance company any reason to look into your record if there's anything you don't want them to see.

Old 01-15-2013, 09:58 AM

Just to share my experience with everyone - got my 3rd renewal notice today from GEICO after my first traffic ticket in 2011 (and 2nd ticket last August) – and just like MarcPaolella said above, GEICO slammed me with a 30% increase in my 6-month premium. This is after 16 years with GEICO but I guess they don’t really care. I did manage to get 0 points from NJ both times though.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:14 AM

2,913 posts, read 5,197,388 times
If u paid the ticket and prevented the points I think it will be fine. Don't tell Geico that it happened. I had a crazy lady drastically increase my insurance just because I asked about an accident 4 years ago (i slid off ice into a pasture)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey