U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 01:00 PM

828 posts, read 1,470,397 times

Advertisements

Does Home Depot get a kickback from the contractors they use (read: are we paying hidden fees in the installation price?)

My husband and I are redoing our kitchen and trying to decide if it's best to go through them or not. We have been dealing with the one in South Brunswick, and so far the design team has been very nice and knowledgable.... but we don't want to pay more than we have to.

(PS any additional tips about this process welcome! We are new to remodeling!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 10:31 PM

41 posts, read 85,151 times
I don't know specifics but I'd have to assume there is some kind of relationship wherein the contractor pays or shares job revenue with HD for referred work.

If you are just redoing your kitchen I'd say shop around, try some local kitchen places too for estimates. We used Jaeger Kitchens in Union and they did a great job. We considered using home depot for the cabinets but read so many bad reviews of their cabinet lines that we decided to spend a bit more for something higher quality.

Old 08-04-2011, 07:45 AM

313 posts, read 353,143 times
Don't use Home Depot for cabinets. They are not particularly cheap, but my main objection is you don't know who they are using for contractors. (I had a friend who used them for vinyl siding, and the contractors had never done a job before). Also, if you have issues when you are re-modeling, you may have problems reaching anyone when you call Home Depot. Redoing a kitchen is quite stressful, you need someone who is over-seeing the whole project and who you can reach quickly if there are problems.

Do a search of the Home forum - there are many threads on it re: remodeling kitchens and lots of useful advice. There's a poster called Desert Sun who is in the business and has lots of good advice.

Good luck.

Old 08-04-2011, 08:38 AM

12,040 posts, read 9,124,564 times
Home Depot uses a specific company for their kitchen remodels, so you do know who they are using. It's a large company (forget the name), and you can look up their details online. But definitely shop around. While Home Depot could very possibly be the least expensive, it could be because of slightly lower quality materials. With some things you need to do around the house, that's fine, but I wouldn't do it for a kitchen. That being said, my in-laws did a kitchen remodel with new counters, new sink/faucets, and floor, through home depot and they did a great job.

The Home forum has a lot of great info but be warned - they despise any sniff of a "big box" store, so you're not going to get very objective information on the Home Depot question. Home Depot has it's place for some of us.

I wonder if you ask, would they give you a list of customers in the area that had work done?

Old 08-04-2011, 10:48 AM

828 posts, read 1,470,397 times
Thanks all.... very good tips & advice!
We are torn because while we want to make a few upgrades, this is not our *forever home* so we don't want to put it in more than we would make back in a resale in a few years.
Appreciate all points of view.

Old 08-04-2011, 12:47 PM

300 posts, read 429,924 times
Heather, I used a place to cabinets in Brunswick that was top notch. I did the install myself but they do also install and design. I had a design done at Lowes and the design of the local place along with cabinet quality and price was much much better. PM if you want the details.

Old 08-04-2011, 02:27 PM

12,040 posts, read 9,124,564 times
i'm about to contact a handful of kitchen designers in essex county area. i'll let you know what i find out as well.

Old 08-06-2011, 04:40 PM

273 posts, read 574,552 times
I would just use closeout cabinets.com in lakewood and find a contractor to install them and use marble.com in so. plainfield to have them measure granite for you......done deal. That's my plan once I get the money together.

Old 08-07-2011, 08:57 PM

55 posts, read 100,073 times
I got a great deal and found one stop shoping at Direct Depot Kitchens at Pompton Lakes. We ordered our cabinets, purchased granite, appliances and then found a great construction company all in one spot. The work is about 75% complete and we are excited. You can pm if you have additional questions.

Old 08-08-2011, 01:28 PM

293 posts, read 326,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
i'm about to contact a handful of kitchen designers in essex county area. i'll let you know what i find out as well.
I'm doing a bathroom remodel...have you had experience with anyone in our area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey