U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 07:40 PM

312 posts, read 226,401 times
Default Why Is It So Hard to Find a Job in Jersey???

While I went back to take part-time classes in college on July 5th this year after 10 1/2 month hiatus, I had to look for a position for 18 months before I landed a seasonal position with Target over the holidays last year until they cut me on the night of New Years Day. Right now, it has taken me another 7 months.

I've called some employers after a week or two to check out the status, and whenever I fill out an application, I'm asked to put down the hourly wage I'm looking for. If I fill out a paper application, I put "Open", but sometimes when filling it out online, I'm required to put a specific number. Do I really have to put down minimum wage if that's the case? What am I doing wrong that's taking me so long to find a legitimate position that matches the skills listed in my resume? How can I even get a part-time job? Or is it because of the economy the way it is especially in Jersey?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 10:55 PM

363 posts, read 504,235 times
The economy in general is really crappy.

That said, what's your background? I'm assuming you don't yet have a college degree?

Old 08-03-2011, 11:53 PM

1,422 posts, read 763,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael212 View Post
\What am I doing wrong that's taking me so long to find a legitimate position that matches the skills listed in my resume? How can I even get a part-time job? Or is it because of the economy the way it is especially in Jersey?
I know un- and underemployed people who recently graduated from Ivy league undergraduate programs and T14 law schools.

It's not you, and it's not Jersey, the economy has simply been extraordinarily rough on graduates who can't find a job via nepotism, connections, or for a few stroke of luck, since the economic crisis started.

Bright side is you could be in the same situation, except 50 years old with kids. Lots of people are -- both ends of the age spectrum have been hammered.

Old 08-04-2011, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower7 View Post
The economy in general is really crappy.

That said, what's your background? I'm assuming you don't yet have a college degree?
I'm 23 years of age, black, and if I'm very lucky, I get from home to college within an hour which is highly unlikely (I'm sick and tired of taking the stinkin' bus for the most part) versus a 35 minute ride by car which I would love to get after hopefully passing my road test October 14th. I do think college is important in order for me to move into my career and not just "a job", but while focusing on my education I would like to have some extra cash to save up but also be able to get out the house more and do more of what I like to do.

Old 08-04-2011, 12:28 AM

3,263 posts, read 4,768,112 times
When you are just looking for a retail job like stocking shelves or being a cashier for a big box store, I think it is more of a numbers game then anything. Just filling out a lot of applications.

Might want to look for a job at a non-chain store via craigslist

Old 08-04-2011, 12:28 AM

12,282 posts, read 12,298,068 times
Apply for a work visa and look in the Canadian Province of Alberta which created over 150,000+ jobs in the Q1&Q2 2011. There having an Oil Boom like Texas did and now the jobs and population are growing. Alot of Montanans work in Alberta now.

Old 08-04-2011, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
When you are just looking for a retail job like stocking shelves or being a cashier for a big box store, I think it is more of a numbers game then anything. Just filling out a lot of applications.

Might want to look for a job at a non-chain store via craigslist
There have been people telling me that Craig's List is non-legit. I'll check it out again, but I just hope I don't get scammed.

Old 08-04-2011, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Apply for a work visa and look in the Canadian Province of Alberta which created over 150,000+ jobs in the Q1&Q2 2011. There having an Oil Boom like Texas did and now the jobs and population are growing. Alot of Montanans work in Alberta now.
Canada's not a bad choice. But I'm only looking for jobs that are in North or Central Jersey. I would also look into NYC if I want to go out-of-state.

Old 08-04-2011, 05:57 AM

15 posts, read 13,226 times
My profession is very in demand, EMT. when i posted my resume online i instantly heard back from 3 different companies (same day) and a couple more over the course of a week. The EMT class in NJ takes about 6 months to complete (part-time, you can complete it in a month or 2 full time) and you can earn 10-13 an hour or so fresh out of school. There are companies all over the state that seem to hire non-stop, so it seems like it might be a good option for you.

Regardless, good luck to you sir, I hope you find something soon!

Old 08-04-2011, 06:31 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,436,025 times
If you're looking into retail, don't make your resume look like the company you're applying to (Target, Kohl's, etc.) is a temporary step until you get your degree. Don't look better than the position you're applying for. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey