Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 11:22 AM

1,308 posts, read 4,619,902 times

Advertisements

Nice to see you so happy and nicer to you to prove all the original nay sayers wrong......Remember you can't get a house for $175k <wink>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2008, 11:41 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,684,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin View Post
lol

Well, I used to work in millwork design, and I'm a low voltage systems consultant to architects, and an amateur woodworker with cheapie tools

And I'd say yes I am, but I haven't had much time with all the "fun" stuff I've been working on around the house
cu - looks awesome - would love to see more. congrats!

Old 03-03-2008, 12:19 PM

2,736 posts, read 9,669,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post
The closet doors are just lovely! And you did a great job with the green sponge painting, is that a difficult, painstaking process?
It wasn't too bade actually. The ceilings in my bedroom go up to about 15' at the peak, so it took about 3 days to get the base coat of green in there (2 coats). the sponging was easy - I bought a couple quarts, its 1/4 paint, 3/4 glaze, mixed up - so each quart of paint becomes a gallon of mix. I only used the one quart, holding onto the second just in case.

Quote:
What is the framed out panel over the bed-electrical? That paint provides a great camouflage.
Thats actually open space above the closet, being used as extra storage (one over each closet). Right now I have blankets and extra sheets in there.

Quote:
Oh! And I really like the yellow wall-such a happy colour!

Thanks for the pics! Can't wait to see more.
Thanks The room is getting kind of an asian theme - what you don't see in that pic is the couch with brick red pillows and a fleece blanket. The rug will have some red in it as well; unfortunately, the one we ordered was backordered then canceled, so we have to pick a new one out

Old 03-03-2008, 02:23 PM

8 posts, read 22,626 times
yea really, alot of you made this poor guy feel like he would never find a house - including a realtor - SHAME ON YOU! Shows how well you know the market in Jersey cause if you look hard enogh you can find a great deal and if you are creative and can look past the mess of others you can revamp it. I cant believe that....I also wanted to get into real estate and was talked outta it and they I see ppl who dont know their a@@ from their elbow doing it

Old 03-03-2008, 02:31 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,517,775 times
Looks pretty good to me in those pictures! You truely are one motivated person. Looks real nice!!

Old 03-03-2008, 07:54 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,051,675 times
Thats actually open space above the closet, being used as extra storage (one over each closet). Right now I have blankets and extra sheets in there.

AHHH, I love those hidden spaces in older homes!
We tapped into a 5x3x3 space in a 2nd floor guest room (over the foyer closet). Made for a nice lighted shelf space in a very tiny room.

Did you have scaffold in that 15 foot bedroom space or a very large ladder?

We are in the umteenth round of renos in our old home (just laid wood floors in the living/dining rooms). Seems like a never ending project, but it is a lot of fun.
Keep those photos coming!

Old 03-03-2008, 08:02 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,365,864 times
It looks like you are a creative Young Man, and you were smart not to buy more than you can afford. It looks very nice for what you did.

Diane G

Old 03-03-2008, 11:19 PM

387 posts, read 1,429,650 times
I have to say I read through this whole thing and I'm a big supporter of what you did. When I started reading people saying you can't buy a house for $175K, I immediately thought they were crazy. I think because we live in New Jersey people forget it is definetly a buyers market and there are deals out there. People also tend to think of a starter home as $300K. This is def not a starter home, in fact its above the median home price average! But what you did is great because you bought in a buyers market very low and your gonna fix it up. If you end up living there for say 7-8 yrs and do a little work each year can you imagine what it might be worth when the market starts to go the other way? Great job finding the starter home. They are def out there. I opened the paper today and I saw some for the same price. I dont understand why other people dont realize some houses in nice areas ARE going for these prices! Once again congrats.

Old 03-04-2008, 05:18 AM

342 posts, read 1,793,430 times
Wow. I am late to this thread, but wanted to say Congrats. and give you kudos for all of the hard work you have done! It is looking great. You have brought that house back and you should feel very proud. I too love those doors. What a great touch and inspiration to work off of. Again, congrats on your new home.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:36 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,669,512 times
Quote:
Did you have scaffold in that 15 foot bedroom space or a very large ladder?
I bought a Werner ladder - Werner Ladder - Telescoping Multiladder - the MT-26 (26' in extension, about 13' A-frame). Works great, I bought another smaller one because of how nicely the small one works for the rest of the house. The big one will double as my outdoor extension ladder for the outside work with this coming warmer weather

And thanks again everyone I should have most of my work done this year, then the biggest undertaking (the kitchen) next year, as long as my budget continues to allow for it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey