Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 11:38 PM

4,285 posts, read 10,762,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
raise the tolls as high as the market will take!!!

Why do you want this?

I think the toll should be equal to the "damage" a car crossing the bridge costs. That is the intended purpose of tolls after all

If they want to make it a tax, call it a tax and bill it as such.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2011, 07:03 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i wonder if i could get an actual breakdown of where the money goes. seems like these bridges are more cash cows for the state rather than actually used to fund maintenance of the bridges being tolled. so how does the port authority justify the increases? who is coming to them and telling them they need to bring in more cash?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
I would like to see where the $$$ go aswell , if this wasn't for pet projects in both states the PA would claim its for safeguarding the system against terrorism.
On the PA website.

Financial Information - Corporate Information - Port Authority of New York & New Jersey

Old 08-06-2011, 07:07 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,620,766 times
I posted this about 4 months ago. This is a way for the governor to get money for several projects in NJ. So now he can still claim I didn't raise taxes they did. If he was a true reformer he has ten days to veto this increase. You'll see him on TV saying they shouldn't raise the tolls and than he will hide for 10 days and let them increase to at least 10 or 12 on the tunnels and bridges. I would bet 5-1 that he doesn't vote this down. This folks is a tax increase called a toll increase. But it has a spin on it.

Old 08-06-2011, 07:15 AM

Quote:
i wonder if i could get an actual breakdown of where the money goes. seems like these bridges are more cash cows for the state rather than actually used to fund maintenance of the bridges being tolled. so how does the port authority justify the increases? who is coming to them and telling them they need to bring in more cash?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
To replace the PATH Infastrature......and NJ/NY use the PA as a cash cow for pet projects. These hikes wouldn't be needed if the 2 states fixed there Infastrature funding programs...

Yep--NJ is rumbling about getting the PA to replace the Pulaski Skyway, and NY is rumbing about getting the PA to replace the Tappan Zee. Both facilities are way past the end of their useful lives, and neither one is a PA facility. As a matter of fact, 55 years ago, the TZ was purposely built about 100 yards upriver from the PA jurisdiction so that it would be a state bridge, not a PA one. But now that it's ready to fall into the river, they are singing a different tune.

That may not happen--New York is also looking at changing their legislation to allow them to do a P3--Public-Private Partnership, with private equity to fund it. Under the present law, they can't do this.

The Pulaski also desperately needs to be replaced. Not sure where that stands right now.

Old 08-06-2011, 07:23 AM

5,771 posts, read 16,578,952 times
I saw the article on NJ.COM. There wasn't one person for it in the comments. It is way too high compared to getting around any other part of the USA. It will only go to isolate NYC further from the rest of the USA. Then they will have less traffic and cry again that they need more money.

The Port Authority is also a cash cow for it's officers, some making 200 and 300 $K a year watching tv.

NY'ers probably don't care much as they are usually isolationists and think there s*** doesn't stink, but this is a bad idea. The tolls are already too high.

Old 08-06-2011, 07:31 AM

5,771 posts, read 16,578,952 times
The whole concept is criminally insane. As others are saying, if Christie doesn't stop this he is one and done just like Corziolinski before him who wanted to raise the GSP tolls.

Port Authority plans $4 toll hike next month on bridges and tunnels | NJ.com

Old 08-06-2011, 07:49 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
so do they calculate the projected revenue increase using current numbers, then budget and spend that projected increase and find that they didnt collect much additional revenue because less people used the bridges?

Old 08-06-2011, 08:17 AM

Quote:
so do they calculate the projected revenue increase using current numbers, then budget and spend that projected increase and find that they didnt collect much additional revenue because less people used the bridges?
More likely, they base the budget on what expenditures they expect to have to incur. Look at all the construction they do to maintain those bridges and tunnels, plus all the security stuff that has to be done now. It's not as though the GWB revenue goes just toward the GWB, the Holland Tunnel revenue goes just toward the Holland Tunnel, etc., or even that the bridge and tunnel revenue is kept to the bridges and tunnels. The most revenue the PA gets is from the airports, but since PATH operates at a loss, money has to be diverted from other facilities to keep it going.

For example, the Bayonne Bridge roadway has to be raised to allow the bigger ships to access the ports. That's going to cost in the area of a billion dollars, but the Bayonne doesn't take in a billion in revenue.

Old 08-06-2011, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
The whole concept is criminally insane. As others are saying, if Christie doesn't stop this he is one and done just like Corziolinski before him who wanted to raise the GSP tolls.

Port Authority plans $4 toll hike next month on bridges and tunnels | NJ.com
Read this line from the article you posted:

"Christie and Cuomo had been briefed on the proposals months ago."

Do you think they would be announcing this if the governors did not already give them the go-ahead? Don't be naive.

I'm betting it will be the same as the NJ Transit increases. They'll announce a certain percentage, then lower it in the final decision to make it look as though they are conceding to the public's concerns. That's how politics work.

Old 08-06-2011, 09:15 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
its actually a win for me. i dont pay for my tolls so it will probably further reduce my traffic. already, traffic these days is nothing compared to when i was younger. this will further reduce my commute time and help me get better gas mileage.

i have a brake checking story from the other day. i was on my way home from work and this girl was in the left lane of the turnpike driving slow as can be. first i rode up on her butt a few times to let her know she should move. she didnt move. so i went right and passed her, she was looking at me because she knew i wasnt happy with her. she figured that she wasnt moving out of the lane and there was nothing i could do but move around, basically a win for her. but she wasnt expecting what happened next. i pulled in right in front of her and slammed the brakes. haha she had a heart attack. her hair went flying in front of her face, she slammed on the horn and then she is waving her arms around all nuts. gave me the finger out the window and waved her hands around more. i stuck my hand out of my window and gave her the thumbs up. i was loving it. supreme victory for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey