U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 09:57 AM

2,708 posts, read 8,442,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex07860 View Post
From Puerto Rico.
Haha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 10:13 AM

81 posts, read 181,394 times
"They are there looking for day work on the farms."

ARE THEY? There's not many farms left in this area. I figured they were just an outgrowth of the latin population that has been huge in Dover for at least the past 20 years if not more. Really only noticed them in H'Town the pat 5-10 years. I suspect more along the line sof looking for construction day laborer work etc. although I'm sure the handful of remianing farms in the area do use their services.

H'town is nice as far as NJ goes, but it's STILL NJ.

Downtown used to be much better, before the box stores came along and many of the shops closed up. Walmart, Home Depot, Staples etc. all came along... no more old fashioned hardware stores, mom-n-pop office supply store, faily-owned pharmacy, etc. The box stores came along right behind all of the luxury cars that came with a flood of sprawl in the mid-late 80s and early 90s.

I liked the 1979 version better than the 2009 version...

Old 04-14-2009, 10:16 AM

5,819 posts, read 9,135,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Bear View Post
"They are there looking for day work on the farms."

ARE THEY? There's not many farms left in this area. I figured they were just an outgrowth of the latin population that has been huge in Dover for at least the past 20 years if not more. Really only noticed them in H'Town the pat 5-10 years. I suspect more along the line sof looking for construction day laborer work etc. although I'm sure the handful of remianing farms in the area do use their services.

H'town is nice as far as NJ goes, but it's STILL NJ.

Downtown used to be much better, before the box stores came along and many of the shops closed up. Walmart, Home Depot, Staples etc. all came along... no more old fashioned hardware stores, mom-n-pop office supply store, faily-owned pharmacy, etc. The box stores came along right behind all of the luxury cars that came with a flood of sprawl in the mid-late 80s and early 90s.

I liked the 1979 version better than the 2009 version...
You're kidding right? Warren and Hunterdon Counties are loaded with working farms. They are also looking for landscaping work as well.

Old 04-14-2009, 03:38 PM

81 posts, read 181,394 times
Yeah, I'm pretty sure more of them get more work landscaping for the yuppies or doing construction day labor....

I lived here in 1979... farms now are literally A FRACTION of what they were then. More houses and malls in those fields than corn or cows now... back then, H'town was basically "the big town" for a predominantly rural area in a 10-20 mile radius; now it's largely become a victim of sprawl, although some ag has held on and I do give credit that much of the traditional architecture of downtown has survived the onslaught even if the downtown business district has taken a beating. I do give the downtown business owners credit for what they've done in the spaces vacated by the traditional businesses, especially in those cases where they try to fill in the "voids" and at least in some small way go head to head with the box stores.

Depends on frame of reference of course, but having grown up here and actually worked on a farm, the amount of labor required by the remaining farms in the area today is pretty minimal. Not to say there are no farms or that the immigrant population doesn't in some cases work on them, but the categorization of the Hackettstown area as predominantly ag is 30 years out of date. There is still a fairly significant land area in agriculture I suppose, but still much less than it was and it's mostly just hay and corn and soy now, not much livestock or labor-intensive crops, mostly it's mechanized, relatively low-labor crops. Certainly there are places in Warren and Sussex (and to a lesser degree, Hunterdon) with more farms... but I could probably count on one hand the number of working dairy farms within 5 miles of H'town today, for example. 20 years ago I could count that many or more within 5 miles in ANY given DIRECTION!

Again I'm not saying none of these immigrants work on the farms, in fact I know some do; but I also know that if the farm work were the primary work of the immigrants in the area, most would be waiting a long time for work if they were counting solely on the farms to provide it...

Old 04-14-2009, 06:19 PM

4,064 posts, read 4,720,644 times
Scranbarre,

Thanks for the pics! edit: sorry about that moron.
anyway, we moved to Blairstown a year ago, which was quite an improvement from Essex County... our Main Street here is really nice, and the people are mostly fantastically friendly (as long as they're not the police) Just kidding.

It does feel like Mayberry.

Talking about Bedford Falls, you should come and see the falls next to Blair Academy. Just bucolic and tranquilizing.

And, when you go to check out Belvidere, take a jaunt down to Foul Rift, it's quite interesting. Go under the tracks!

For a cool country drive, Lime Kiln Road near Delaware is lovely.

PS I've spent some time in Newton, and ..um...well, it's the county seat and no offense to folks there, it should be regarded with that in mind.

Thanks again.

Last edited by Tantalust; 04-14-2009 at 06:44 PM..

Old 04-14-2009, 07:04 PM

2,708 posts, read 8,442,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantalust View Post
Scranbarre,

Thanks for the pics! edit: sorry about that moron.
anyway, we moved to Blairstown a year ago, which was quite an improvement from Essex County... our Main Street here is really nice, and the people are mostly fantastically friendly (as long as they're not the police) Just kidding.

Talking about Bedford Falls, you should come and see the falls next to Blair Academy. Just bucolic and tranquilizing.

And, when you go to check out Belvidere, take a jaunt down to Foul Rift, it's quite interesting. Go under the tracks!

For a cool country drive, Lime Kiln Road near Delaware is lovely.

PS I've spent some time in Newton, and ..um...well, it's the county seat and no offense to folks there, it should be regarded with that in mind.

Thanks again.
The Mexicans are coming your way

Old 04-14-2009, 08:03 PM

5,819 posts, read 9,135,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantalust View Post

we moved to Blairstown a year ago, which was quite an improvement from Essex County... our Main Street here is really nice, and the people are mostly fantastically friendly (as long as they're not the police) Just kidding.

Welcome to Redneckville!

Old 08-22-2009, 12:44 PM

4 posts, read 10,118 times
I love Hackettstown and New Jersey in general. I realize this thread is old but I just found it and I think your slide show of one of my favorite NJ towns is great. I have a few of the same shots in my collection. My husband and I go back to Hackettstown every year to visit his family...and I never want to leave. We live in Puyallup, WA and yes...it's a wonderful town and Washington in general is wonderful...but there is more to see I think...so many more states to visit. No one agrees with me but trying to convince them is entertaining. Thanks again for the tour!

Old 12-12-2012, 06:27 AM

1 posts, read 535 times
Thank you Harry Jewell for posting this link to my beautiful Hackettstown! Fabulous job taking pictures! This is the town where I grew up and raised my children until 1996 when my husband's job moved us to Memphis, Tn. There's nothing like wonderful Hackettstown! One day I will live there again.......
Sincerely, Judy Eddy

Old 05-03-2013, 08:19 AM

1 posts, read 452 times
Next time you visit Hackettstown ou should try to go on Tuesdays when the auction market takes place, stop by harper's bagels for a cheese Danish, go to marley's for amazing wings, drive by m&m mars to smell the amazing chocolate, and take the extra time to go to hot dog Johnny's in buttzville for a great dog and a frosted mug of root beer...I was born and raised in Hackettstown and now live in Alabama, I miss the food and all the things that make h'town great
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey