Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 01:49 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCK7778 View Post
My bank charges $1.25 per payment, so for $2.50 a month the benefits still far outweigh the fees.
The point is you can do it for free. Juts write a check.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2011, 02:25 PM

572 posts, read 2,021,747 times
Unless you tell your mortgage company each time you write an additional payment to apply it to the principal they will just apply it like a regular payment. By doing it this way, the additional 2 payments as well as the extra that I pay each payment is automatically applied to the principal.

Also, I do EVERYTHING online. I have not written an actual check in 2 years...and it is well worht the $2.50 a month for the convenience of them auto drafting it from my checking account.

It is personal preference and I prefer to do it this way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
The point is you can do it for free. Juts write a check.

Old 08-15-2011, 03:49 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,979,002 times
Quote:
Unless you tell your mortgage company each time you write an additional payment to apply it to the principal they will just apply it like a regular payment. By doing it this way, the additional 2 payments as well as the extra that I pay each payment is automatically applied to the principal.

Also, I do EVERYTHING online. I have not written an actual check in 2 years...and it is well worht the $2.50 a month for the convenience of them auto drafting it from my checking account.

It is personal preference and I prefer to do it this way.

You're right, it isn't much money ($32.50 per year). But - especially if you have the payments automatically taken out - it really is a silly charge from the bank.

Old 08-16-2011, 06:23 AM

23 posts, read 28,730 times
You may need to consider other facts not only percentage and principal. If bank let you pay every 2 weeks instead of once a month it will considerably lowers your overall payoff amount and no penalty for adding towards principle is a must IMO. I would ask for how long you have the rates locked up for example,what kind of insurance your bank requires since it effect your yearly spending indirectly. Also I know that income verification may lower your rate in relation to no income veryfication loan you may qualify for putting 30% down.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:13 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,400,123 times
Quote:
My bank charges $1.25 per payment, so for $2.50 a month the benefits still far outweigh the fees.
my bank wants to charge me $200 to "enroll" plus the $1.50 per payment. the benefits still outweigh the fees, but i think this should be a crime.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
my bank wants to charge me $200 to "enroll" plus the $1.50 per payment. the benefits still outweigh the fees, but i think this should be a crime.
You aren't actually going to pay that are you?

Old 08-16-2011, 09:57 AM

572 posts, read 2,021,747 times
In the scheme of the total savings (in my case years off my mortgage and almost $60k in interest saved) $200 + a total of $736 in monthly fees (total of $936 for the life of the loan) it is completely worth it.

Most of the banks do not make you pay the entrance fee upfront, they defer it until 1 of your extra payments hits then deduct it from that, so it is just $200 less towards the principal.

In my case I asked them to waive the fee and they did. My bank originally wanted $150...but honestly I would have totally paid it. The reason for the fees is because it is a thrid party not the actual bank that administers the program. They have overhead costs and want to make money also. It is a small price to pay for the savings you receive in the long run!

Quote:
You aren't actually going to pay that are you?

Old 08-16-2011, 11:06 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,979,002 times
Quote:
In the scheme of the total savings (in my case years off my mortgage and almost $60k in interest saved) $200 + a total of $736 in monthly fees (total of $936 for the life of the loan) it is completely worth it.

Most of the banks do not make you pay the entrance fee upfront, they defer it until 1 of your extra payments hits then deduct it from that, so it is just $200 less towards the principal.

In my case I asked them to waive the fee and they did. My bank originally wanted $150...but honestly I would have totally paid it. The reason for the fees is because it is a thrid party not the actual bank that administers the program. They have overhead costs and want to make money also. It is a small price to pay for the savings you receive in the long run!
If the convenience works for you or the auotmated discipline helps, then it can be a good tool.

But you're essentially making 13 payments (26 half payments) instead of 12 for the year. So you could just make that extra payment when you have liquidity (tax refund time) or you could add 1/12 to the payment each month. You get basically the same effect... for free.

For me, the principle of the bank charging me more to pay them faster just gets under my skin.

Old 08-16-2011, 11:46 AM

$32 a year I could see doing it for the convenience. I think someone is crazy to pay $200 on top of that when they can just do it for free by writing a check (or having their bank mail a check for them).

Old 08-16-2011, 03:25 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,859,501 times
Quote:
Personally I would do 20% and only that much to not have PMI. Rates are so low I rather have the money available for something else.

second this
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey