U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-15-2011, 09:56 PM

6 posts, read 4,362 times
Red face We are planning on buying 3D TV

Is it worthy even though there are not many movies in 3D . Regular plasma or LCD is cheaper...
And what brand would you recommend?
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2011, 04:43 AM

5,142 posts, read 4,470,635 times
I would suggest that you and your family spend a LOT of time viewing 3-D TV at a place like Best Buy's Magnolia showroom. The reason for my suggestion is that many folks report feeling nauseated or having vision problems after extended viewing of this type of TV. Somehow, spending a huge amount of money and then winding up nauseated is not my idea of a bargain, and some extended viewing time could prevent this type of buying mistake.

Incidentally, due to very poor sales figures for 3-D TV with all brands, LG is now introducing a different, cheaper technology for this process. Their theory is that lower prices will increase sales. However, this will probably lead to the use of two different competing technologies--at least for a few years.

Until it becomes obvious which type of 3-D technology is the survivor, it might be prudent to wait a few years. Back in the early days of VCRs, those who rushed to buy Sony's superior Beta technology regretted it within a few years when it turned out that JVC's VHS technology was the winner in the marketplace, and Beta tapes became as scarce as hen's teeth.

Personally, I am not interested in seeing things jump out of the TV screen at me, and am quite satisfied with regular high-definition digital TV. If you want the top-rated TVs, Samsung and Panasonic are consistently the top-rated ones, in both LCD and Plasma. Most brands are okay, but the one to avoid is Mitsubishi. Like their cars, Mitsubishi TVs are more prone to breakdown than their competitors.

Old 08-16-2011, 04:47 AM

2,240 posts, read 3,612,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
I would suggest that you and your family spend a LOT of time viewing 3-D TV at a place like Best Buy's Magnolia showroom. The reason for my suggestion is that many folks report feeling nauseated or having vision problems after extended viewing of this type of TV. Somehow, spending a huge amount of money and then winding up nauseated is not my idea of a bargain, and some extended viewing time could prevent this type of buying mistake.

I completely agree with this. 3D involves "tricking" your brain into seeing a 3D image. I know I feel nauseated after watching 3D in the movies for more than 2 hrs. 3D I know is definitely not for me.

Old 08-16-2011, 05:35 AM

6 posts, read 4,362 times
Default tx for reply

I may lean towards waiting and buying regular HD leaving 3D experience for the theater releases

Old 08-16-2011, 06:10 AM

2,240 posts, read 3,612,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryann83 View Post
I may lean towards waiting and buying regular HD leaving 3D experience for the theater releases
I think that'd be an excellent choice I know I'm doing that...and then there's just movies I don't care to see in 3D.

Plus for the amount you'll pay a bit extra for on 3D you could get a bigger plasma/lcd/led with more bells and whistles on it...or just save a couple hundred bucks

Good luck!

Old 08-16-2011, 06:31 AM

17,580 posts, read 19,471,861 times
You may want to post this in the science and technology forum.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:09 AM

11,674 posts, read 8,463,033 times
i would go out and get yourself a nice Samsung LED television. They use less energy than LCD, and unless your television is going in a room with very few windows with natural light, plasma is not preferable. You can choose to get the "SMART" models, all that is is internet capabilities for things like netflix and hulu.

Samsung has long been the leader in flat-panel TVs.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:26 AM

1,111 posts, read 2,533,230 times
Plasma..Cheaper and darker colors. Watch sports? Go with plasma as there is no ghosting of images during fast pace action.
3D- skip it. Too early. Wait for technology that dont require glasses.

Old 08-21-2011, 04:29 PM

23 posts, read 13,356 times
Default I think plasma is way2go

better viewing but consume more energy
3D as an addition is nice since HD and other "stuff" would be the same

Old 08-21-2011, 05:10 PM

83 posts, read 109,738 times
We just bought a 3D TV. Got it from Best Buy. The package was a 3D TV, DVD player, the glasses, and they gave you the Shrek 3D movies. To be honest, we don't use the 3D AT ALL! It's too much of a hassle and the picture is superb all ready. Unless you're really into that sort of thing, I would skip it!
One other thing, I have a 4 year old daughter, and she doesn't want to wear the glasses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey