Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 03:38 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,939,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the nation is still angry View Post
it's not my fault that you feel that every single time you hear a nonwhite person or someone who is a part of a group that has been oppressed in society questioning something that is probably against them to you and others are complaining to just complain. that's why i don't even bother to take you or any of these other people's opinions seriously. your ignorance is as plain as day and you try to pass it off as the truth. i wouldn't want someone like you even trying to have a convo about this anyway. it's well documented that the new jersey state police is full of racists and that they don't like having nonwhites to be in their organization. you can even look at its history as well. it's not far fetched.

You didn't question anything. You came here spewing a lot of accusations. I asked if you have any proof. A simple no will suffice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2011, 03:51 PM

376 posts, read 665,541 times
even though i didn't want to do this.. here's an article about nj state police flunking possible black, hispanic and nonwhite recruits to keep them from being a part of the state police. this was written 5 years ago. i'm pretty sure it's not going to change how you feel about it. i know how city-data.com is.

NJ State Police Flunking the Minorities They Recruit - PPSC Forums

Old 08-16-2011, 04:01 PM

Quote:
even though i didn't want to do this.. here's an article about nj state police flunking possible black, hispanic and nonwhite recruits to keep them from being a part of the state police. this was written 5 years ago. i'm pretty sure it's not going to change how you feel about it. i know how city-data.com is.

Since you don't know me at all, why not judge me by what I actually do & say, and not assume I will do & say something based upon some preconceived notion of who I am or what group I belong to?

Hmmm. Why does that sound familiar?

Old 08-16-2011, 04:12 PM

Quote:

So, I read the entire piece. It showed that the state spent a lot of money to recruit minorities, and that the state paid the NAACP a lot of money to monitor the process. It also showed that for reasons they can't seem to explain, they still don't have the minority represention for which they are striving, and that a smaller percentage of minority recruits pass through the early weeding out stages. Please show me where it says that any of that is intentional and done with the purpose of minimizing the mnority presence on the state police forsce. I must have missed that part.

Old 08-16-2011, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
So, I read the entire piece. It showed that the state spent a lot of money to recruit minorities, and that the state paid the NAACP a lot of money to monitor the process. It also showed that for reasons they can't seem to explain, they still don't have the minority represention for which they are striving, and that a smaller percentage of minority recruits pass through the early weeding out stages. Please show me where it says that any of that is intentional and done with the purpose of minimizing the mnority presence on the state police forsce. I must have missed that part.
point of the matter is that the process is set up where it justifies the bias that is going on where it becomes the fault of the applicants and not the process that determines it. what they're saying is that the process that is set up where it's difficult for almost anybody who's not a white male to succeed. the reason why i didn't even want to put this up is that you are going to look what validates your opinion besides the article saying....

Quote:
THE STRENGTH FACTOR
Quote:
The next step, a physical fitness exam measuring endurance, agility and strength, has been an even bigger roadblock for women. More than 70 percent of female candidates failed the physical test in the past seven years, including 81 percent of black women and 90 percent of Hispanic women. By contrast, nearly two-thirds of all male candidates passed the physical fitness test, the data show.

Margaret Moore, director of the National Center for Women & Policing, called the fitness exam "an artificial barrier" that does not help departments determine whether an applicant would make a good officer. She recommends police departments alter physical tests to reflect skills related to tactics used on the job, such as handcuffing people or placing them in a vehicle.

"It's these tactics that are getting police in trouble -- that's how police get hurt and that's how police get killed," Moore said.

Next comes a background check for criminal convictions and motor vehicle violations, plus verification of a candidate's financial stability, educational records, housing and employment history. Current or former State Police investigators conduct the checks; their recommendations are reviewed by the Attorney General's Office.

The background checks disqualified nearly half of all black candidates and a third of Hispanics. By contrast, only one of nine white male candidates failed to move on.
if that doesn't sound like it's intentional set up to make sure the system is kept the way it is, then i don't know what to tell you. believe whatever you want to believe. it sounds like you have your mind already made up about this issue and i know how it's a hard time forcing some of you city-data.com people off your rock.

Last edited by the nation is still angry; 08-16-2011 at 05:00 PM..

Old 08-16-2011, 04:56 PM

Quote:
point of the matter is that the process is set up where it justifies the bias that is going on where it becomes the fault of the applicants and not the process that determines it.

And again I ask, do you offer any proof that there is a bias? You've shown that there are fewer minorities than some would expect or prefer, and no one disputes that. The result is not what you want. But what proof exists that this is somehow intentional or desired? Your article from 5 years ago points out that the NAACP had been paid over $650,000 by that time to monitor the process, and they've not shown anything being done that they wanted changed except the result. A quote from that article;
Quote:
"They've made the effort, whether or not they have really succeeded," said the Rev. Reginald Jackson, executive director of the Black Ministers Council of New Jersey.
So where's the bias, the setup,the intentional weeding out of minority applicants, and why hasn't the NAACP pointed it out so that it can be removed?

Old 08-16-2011, 04:58 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
blah blah blah you have your mind made up already. blah blah blah my interpretation is right and yours is wrong. blah blah blah why do I bother.

Old 08-16-2011, 05:00 PM

Quote:
point of the matter is that the process is set up where it justifies the bias that is going on where it becomes the fault of the applicants and not the process that determines it. what they're saying is that the process that is set up where it's difficult for almost anybody who's not a white male to succeed. the reason why i didn't even want to put this up is that you are going to look what validates your opinion besides the article saying....

if that doesn't sound like it's intentional set up to make sure to keep the system the way it is, then i don't know what to tell you. believe whatever you want to believe. it sounds like you have your mind already made and i know how it's a hard time forcing some of you city-data.com people off your rock.
You seem to be saying that, since the background checks don't provide the result you want, they are racist. Please explain which of the background items you feel are intentionally discriminatory to minorities.

Old 08-16-2011, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
You seem to be saying that, since the background checks don't provide the result you want, they are racist. Please explain which of the background items you feel are intentionally discriminatory to minorities.
financial stability, educational records, housing and employment history. i mean.... once again, i'm pointing it out for you. let's not pretend okay. it's not my job to make you figure out the obvious. financial stability and housing in itself is obviously going to work against blacks and hispanics more so than with whites. the fact that there were more black and hispanics that flunked off of those four things more so than did whites did shows that it's intentionally discriminatory. it also doesn't help that there are small amount of applicants to begin with so after it's all said and done, what was 100 black and hispanic applicants come down to zero. my guess is that if there were more black and hispanic applicants, that the test becoming intentionally discriminatory will become more obvious because you'll have more black and hispanics failing the process than whites still. once again, believe whatever you want to believe. i'm real curious to see how these investigators are able to come to the conclusion of how financially stable someone is. the thing that i'm surprised with is that you're a real estate agent so you should have some sort of understanding towards this here.

and manderly6, unless you're going to argue against my point instead of badgering me. please shut up. thank you.

Last edited by the nation is still angry; 08-16-2011 at 05:29 PM..

Old 08-16-2011, 05:56 PM

Quote:
financial stability, educational records, housing and employment history. i mean.... once again, i'm pointing it out for you. let's not pretend okay. it's not my job to make you figure out the obvious. financial stability and housing in itself is obviously going to work against blacks and hispanics more so than with whites.
Why? What about the housing and employment history of blacks & hispanics should be so obviously different different from whites in a negative way?

Quote:
the thing that i'm surprised with is that you're a real estate agent so you should have some sort of understanding towards this here.
Me being a real estate agent relates to this how? What is it you think I should understand?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey