Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 06:51 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the nation is still angry View Post

and manderly6, unless you're going to argue against my point instead of badgering me. please shut up. thank you.
Why should I bother with you. You already have your mind made up. Its not worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2011, 07:11 PM

20,329 posts, read 19,921,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
And they wonder why theres such a disconnect between them and the younger black generations....
Quote:
......22 were disqualified for failing a background check,......
How would you address that?

Old 08-16-2011, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
......., and that the state paid the NAACP a lot of money to monitor the process...... .
Billons in the hole and NJ has money for that bulls**t?

Old 08-16-2011, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
And they wonder why theres such a disconnect between them and the younger black generations....
And they wonder why there's such a disconnect between identity groups like the NAACP, NOW, La Raza, etc. and the white middle and upper middle classes.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:42 PM

78,385 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
knowing how corrupt and how big of liars the state police are, how do we know that they're telling the truth in this situation? there's lots of blacks, hispanics, asians, and other non whites that apply to these positions but they rip up and ignore those applications. i don't believe them at all. to be honest with you, the state police are already a bunch of racists to begin with and to top it off, they like to hire people that are related to other state troopers. it's one big fraternity like any other police agency. so no, i don't believe a single word these morons saying. the new jersey state police doesn't like or want blacks or hispanics to be a part of their force especially when they love to pull over and harass black and hispanics. putting blacks and hispanics into their ranks will put a threat to the racist agenda they had going on for decades. we're not just talking about 2011, we're talking about all the other years blacks and hispanics have applied and they been told to go try out for the newark police department even when they have passed the test or whatever. plus i'm curious to see what their background checks consists of because i'm pretty sure they'll find someway to flunk a black person or a hispanic person for a stupid reason like they got one point over for the stress test and then let a white person slide with the same thing. the state police is ran by a bunch of racists.
And yet the current class is very very close to a white vs. non-white mix.....there are just not enough blacks to match their population % which means asians and latinos may be slightly over-represented.

With 28% of the new recruits being non-white you have a pretty shaky position.

I know there is a lot of racism in and around NJ, the REACTION to 72% instead of 68% white would seem to be a good example.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:45 PM

78,385 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
You seem to be saying that, since the background checks don't provide the result you want, they are racist. Please explain which of the background items you feel are intentionally discriminatory to minorities.
I know how Dave Chappelle would answer this question.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:17 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,257,364 times
the nation is still angry:

Quote:
if that doesn't sound like it's intentional set up to make sure the system is kept the way it is, then i don't know what to tell you. believe whatever you want to believe. it sounds like you have your mind already made up about this issue and i know how it's a hard time forcing some of you city-data.com people off your rock.

financial stability and housing in itself is obviously going to work against blacks and hispanics more so than with whites. the fact that there were more black and hispanics that flunked off of those four things more so than did whites did shows that it's intentionally discriminatory. it also doesn't help that there are small amount of applicants to begin with so after it's all said and done, what was 100 black and hispanic applicants come down to zero. my guess is that if there were more black and hispanic applicants, that the test becoming intentionally discriminatory will become more obvious because you'll have more black and hispanics failing the process than whites still. once again, believe whatever you want to believe. i'm real curious to see how these investigators are able to come to the conclusion of how financially stable someone is.
Where did it say that those "four things" were what "flunked" the applicants?

It said background check:

Quote:
Which included criminal convictions and motor vehicle violations, plus verification of a candidate's financial stability, educational records, housing and employment history.
A NJ state police officer applicant should have criminal convictions and motor vehicle violations? How many should be allowed per applicant and up to what extent? Some, a few or none?

Think past your "it's not fair" scenario: Cop goes to court called as a witness for the prosecution and the defendant's lawyer drags up the cop's personal criminal convictions and motor vehicle violations? How's that going to fare? You can't have that.

Financial stability: Cop has low credit score due to outstanding bills not paid or is claiming a bankruptcy, or is in the middle of a foreclosure (from the start, not during the course of his employment)....what's to say that financial situation isn't going to cause "things" to go missing when an arrest is made, a car is searched, etc.?

Do you really think that there isn't some risk assessment taken into consideration when evaluating applicants??

It's not only the NJ State Police that look into the little "stupid/unfair based on race (/eyeroll) things" that might hold someone back from getting a job.

What's your suggestion to change it? Get rid of common sense?

Last edited by Informed Info; 08-16-2011 at 09:25 PM..

Old 08-16-2011, 10:08 PM

5,772 posts, read 16,586,846 times
I don't think there is any racism, but they should not disqualify anyone over anything motor vehicle related or even most other matters including criminal matters to a point.
Having someone with a more common background would give them a great deal of experience and insight in police matters.
Finacial stability should not be a factor either. That is why the person is seeking stable employment. Doubly unfair to kick someone as they're trying to get up the ladder.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:33 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,883,042 times
Quote:
financial stability, educational records, housing and employment history. i mean.... once again, i'm pointing it out for you. let's not pretend okay. it's not my job to make you figure out the obvious. financial stability and housing in itself is obviously going to work against blacks and hispanics more so than with whites. the fact that there were more blackand hispanics that flunked off of those four things more so than did whites did shows that it's intentionally discriminatory. it also doesn't help that there are small amount of applicants to begin with so after it's all said and done, what was 100 black and hispanic applicants come down to zero. my guess is that if there were more black and hispanic applicants, that the test becoming intentionally discriminatory will become more obvious because you'll have more black and hispanics failing the process than whites still. once again, believe whatever you want to believe. i'm real curious to see how these investigators are able to come to the conclusion of how financially stable someone is. the thing that i'm surprised with is that you're a real estate agent so you should have some sort of understanding towards this here.

and manderly6, unless you're going to argue against my point instead of badgering me. please shut up. thank you.
I was going to write a rebuttal. Then I thought to myself that simply putting the most blatantly egregious parts in bold and underline would be quicker and make the point both more effectively and more succinctly. In retrospect, writing out a response would have taken significantly less time.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:51 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,257,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
I was going to write a rebuttal. Then I thought to myself that simply putting the most blatantly egregious parts in bold and underline would be quicker and make the point both more effectively and more succinctly. In retrospect, writing out a response would have taken significantly less time.
So what's your take, if you put it into words?

Last edited by Informed Info; 08-16-2011 at 11:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey