Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 08:45 PM

4,285 posts, read 10,762,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
I would not recommend Boston. There are so many colleges/universities in that area that it is very competitive trying to find a job there. I know people who have tried with little success.
It's not much different in NJ. Very high % of young people in NJ go to college, and then move back to NJ after school to look for work. Certain fields are very good in NJ, but overall the state has a high unemployment rate and is not particularly friendly to new grads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 09:36 PM

39 posts, read 135,644 times
I live in downtown JC. There are people your age here but you are better off going into Manhattan or Hoboken (a quick path ride or 20 minute walk from downtown JC..or even Brooklyn, just 35 min from Grove St path via public trans). Like the above poster said, the bars here are kind of just randomly dispersed throughout downtown, but a majority of the bars are centered around Newark Ave give or take .5 miles. There is the new Barcade on Newark Ave on the corner of Barrow St., that is where I would go for a younger crowd in JC, that or the Biergarten on Grand St (walking distance from each other but a solid .5 miles). Theres a bar on Coles & 3rd that is popular always people in their mid to late 20s early 30s there..seems to be crowded at night usually (I have never been my self, I do not drink).

I'll tell you, Jersey City is getting more and more of a young crowd though, and that is increasing every day (I see this with my own two eyes). One of the biggest reasons is it's a bit more affordable then it's counterparts. MOST of the bars downtown are 20s-35 age group. Some bars are wannabe scene bars with those punk looking kids. On Monmouth theres a cool bar you can eat food and smoke in (because you can rent a Hookah there if you want) called Annes Pub.. oh & across the street theres a super sleezy bar that the locals drunks will shoe you out of if you walk into, you can get your packaged goods there too.

I am not sure if you are white or black (not that I care) but there is a pretty popular hip hop club near me called Jordan's. Seems to get pretty crowded and rowdy on random nights.

To be honest though..life isn't just about bars.. GET INVOLVED WITH TEH COMMUNITY. In jersey city theres a farmers market twice a week at the grove st path, and random tables set up selling stuff another 2 days a week. There seems to be a good amount of people into art in this little downtown community (not like Seattle or something though).

Join a club team or a gym. Habitat for humanity..volunteer somewhere, thats where you will meet NICE girls. Not the skeezy ones you don't want to bring home to mom.

JClist has a calendar with events around JC and some hoboken events (sometimes NYC too). If you are into bicycles theres a road bike club, but the streets here are kinda crappy for it. It's funny, there is bicycle signs with arrows pointing all over town, but the bike path/lane is nowhere to be found.

Last edited by charge; 08-19-2011 at 09:44 PM..

Old 08-21-2011, 08:13 PM

105 posts, read 203,389 times
Default Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
4X4 - just glanced at some prior posts and not sure what's important to you: place to meet girls? garage to work on cars? place with a yard? something on/near a lake?

Folks here have lots of great info, but you may need to clarify a bit more.
I would like to get property one day but need to be where the jobs are
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey