Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 09:58 PM

4 posts, read 5,553 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Hoboken and recently accepted a new job offer in Montclair (off of N. Fullerton). I am trying to figure out the best way to get there and back with the least amount of traffic. I was told that since I'm doing the "reverse commute" it won't be bad; however, I tried out a route during the hours I will be driving (7am & 4:30/5pm), and it took forever! Anyone have any input? I would be interested in taking the train but from what I can tell on the schedule, the train station in Montclair isn't walking distance to my work and would end up taking longer than driving. I would greatly appreciate your suggestions. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 10:04 PM

39 posts, read 135,668 times
Here is some advice if you want to save some time and can't park at the train station in Montclair for some reason (you know there are two, both have parking lots, one with a parking garage, Montclair heights and Montclair State University).

Drive to Clifton Train Station, its at Elm St at Fornelius Ave, parking is free and available. That train is a straight shot to Hoboken and only $5.25. Your commute coming and going will be exactly the same time, you will never hit traffic. The train ride from Clifton to Hoboken is under 30 minutes!!! You can barely drive there that fast without traffic.

It will take you roughly 10 mintues to drive about 4 or so miles to the clifton train station from your house. Then you just sit back and let the conductor do the work.

It's the only major highway connecting the suburbs to NYC (rt 3) during peak rushhour..so no, there is no secret route by car to avoid traffic. Public transportation is the only way, or you tough it out

Old 08-19-2011, 10:09 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charge View Post
Here is some advice if you want to save some time and can't park at the train station in Montclair for some reason (you know there are two, both have parking lots, one with a parking garage, Montclair heights and Montclair State University).

Drive to Clifton Train Station, its at Elm St at Fornelius Ave, parking is free and available. That train is a straight shot to Hoboken and only $5.25. Your commute coming and going will be exactly the same time, you will never hit traffic. Th

It will take you roughly 10 mintues to drive about 4 or so miles to the clifton train station from your house. Then you just sit back and let the conductor do the work.

Reverse commute or not, You are talking about driving the only major highway connecting the suburbs to NYC (rt 3) during peak rushhour..so no, there is no secret route by car to avoid traffic. Public transportation is the only way, or you tough it out
He's working in Montclair....not Hoboken...

Old 08-19-2011, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
He's working in Montclair....not Hoboken...
That is a key factor isn't it.

Old 08-19-2011, 10:18 PM

Rt 3 is a mean one.. your situation is pretty tough because where you work in Montclair isn't too close to the train..other wise it would be easy.

How bad exactly was the traffic? I know how bad it can be commuting from Hoboken to Montclair in the evening (I did it for many years). There is ALWAYS a backup on RT.3 until you get to the intersection of RT 21.

I can tell you another route but it is kind of out of the way, though you will avoid rt. 3 which often can be hell. It is a little longer..maybe 30 miles or so? I used to commute from Parsippany to Montclair and Parsippany to Jersey city & Jersey City to Montclair with this route if traffic was bad.

Option 1 and the better choice
Take rt 7 to 280 west all the way up to exit 8 and get off on Prospect Ave, then you just have make a few turns to weave throught eh streets for about a mile to get to N Fullerton. You avoid having to travel all the way down Valley road but make up for it with traveling from prospect ave to n fullerton.

Option 2
Take rt 7 to 280 west (or the Polaski Skyway from Hoboken to Raymond BLVD to 280w might be easier), get off on Garden state parkway North to exit 151 and that puts you right on watchung kind of near you, then travel to n fullerton.

Last edited by charge; 08-19-2011 at 10:27 PM..

Old 08-20-2011, 07:33 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,809,148 times
Where on N Fullerton? What cross streets? There's more than one train station in Montclair.

Old 08-20-2011, 08:39 PM

Yeah... scratch those directions I gave you..I dont see why you can't walk.

N Fullerton is only 1.5 miles long..the whole road end to end. And there is two train stations on it!! Walnut st & wachung (not directly on it but within 1-2 blocks off the road.._

Old 08-20-2011, 10:20 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charge View Post
Yeah... scratch those directions I gave you..I dont see why you can't walk.

N Fullerton is only 1.5 miles long..the whole road end to end. And there is two train stations on it!! Walnut st & wachung (not directly on it but within 1-2 blocks off the road.._
The #28 bus also travels about a block away from destinations along North Fullerton Avenue, by traveling on Park Street (http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T1011.pdf). If he transfers to it at Watchung Avenue, he could save a little bit of walking time.

Then again, it doesn't run too frequently, so it's probably quicker to walk.

Old 08-22-2011, 01:24 PM

4 posts, read 5,553 times
Thanks for the input. Although Walnut St and Watchung would be close enough for me to walk, the time schedules are not working out in my favor since they don't run very often. It would make for an hour trip with transfers and then get me in to work over an hour early (no thanks, I need my sleep) or 20+ min late (not an option). The way home doesn't really work out well either. It looks like I'll be driving. I wonder if taking 7 and Garden State Pkwy would be a good idea. Is 1-9 & 280 toward Montclair or 3 worse for traffic? Any other driving routes would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Old 08-22-2011, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk318 View Post
Thanks for the input. Although Walnut St and Watchung would be close enough for me to walk, the time schedules are not working out in my favor since they don't run very often. It would make for an hour trip with transfers and then get me in to work over an hour early (no thanks, I need my sleep) or 20+ min late (not an option). The way home doesn't really work out well either. It looks like I'll be driving. I wonder if taking 7 and Garden State Pkwy would be a good idea. Is 1-9 & 280 toward Montclair or 3 worse for traffic? Any other driving routes would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
route 7 does not go to GSP. You have to take 7 to 280 west, and go all the way up to exit 8 in montclair (a or b depending what way you want to go), i believ its prespect ave. You will not hit any traffic that way but it will take you a SOLID 35 minute drive going 65. If you map it out on google, you will see the distance is a bit longer..but you make up for it traveling on a road that RARELY gets traffic (only if there is construction for the most part).

I would avoid GSP all together..as that is a big commuter highway. 280 rarely has traffic except for very small sections by newark. Alternatively you could take 7 to 280 west to parkway north (since you are reverse commuting you MIGHT not hit traffic, I do not nknow, you have to experiment).

The trains run more frequently then every hour..how frequent do you need?? It's not a subway after all.

Regardless of what you decide, the 280 route is a great alternative to route 3 if there is a big construction project, game at Giants Stadium, or accident.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey