U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 01:53 PM

29,468 posts, read 17,691,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
Northeast, specifically NJ, provide a lot of services and very good public schooling for those taxes. While we can debate what services we need, and surely there is waste, it's not like property taxes are just high for fun. you've got to maintain some perspective when comparing across different areas and regions of the country.
Oh, I don't disagree. The entire tax burden is much too complicated to just broad brush and say "higher is bad". Also some states like FL, AK and TX in particular receive massive tourist or mineral rights income and thus have subsidy and so on and so forth.

Plus, I don't live there so I have no dog in the fight. Just noting those were some beefy property taxes, but then the COL is higher too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 10:18 AM

11,674 posts, read 8,437,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Oh, I don't disagree. The entire tax burden is much too complicated to just broad brush and say "higher is bad". Also some states like FL, AK and TX in particular receive massive tourist or mineral rights income and thus have subsidy and so on and so forth.

Plus, I don't live there so I have no dog in the fight. Just noting those were some beefy property taxes, but then the COL is higher too.
COL is higher, salaries are higher, etc. $22,000 on an $900,000 house isn't "high" for NJ. it's about par for the course.

Old 08-25-2011, 02:26 PM

87 posts, read 153,297 times
It sounds like you"re looking for towns with high rated school districts. Have you looked at Glen Ridge, which has a train station, and parts of Verona, Essex Fells and North Caldwell which have easy access to NYC transportation?

Old 08-26-2011, 06:44 AM

3 posts, read 3,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic78 View Post
We live in a townhome in Livingston and are thinking about making the move to a single family home now that we have a baby. We are looking in Summit, Chatham, and Millburn. We need easy access to the train and under 1hr commute on the train. Our budget is up to 1.2.

We've searched through MLS's and went out to open houses The majority of what we saw were dumps!! One house in Summit claimed to be new, but it obviously wasn't as everything in the house was slanted/crooked, and all the craftsmanship was so shoddy and unprofessional.

Ugh.... We would get a house that has good bones but needs updating. We can't even find a two car garage!!

So sad!!

<LI class=mls>MLS ID # 38861258

Old 08-26-2011, 08:50 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,200,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anniesez View Post
<LI class=mls>MLS ID # 38861258
I think Annie meant to post this link:

Chatham Real Estate - Chatham Homes for Sale >> DirectHomes.com

Old 08-27-2011, 10:16 AM

1,694 posts, read 2,991,273 times
I love how NJ residents make up excuses for why their tax bills are so outrageously high.

Here's a reality check: plenty of areas of the U.S. provide excellent services and public schools at a mere fraction of the cost of NJ property taxes.

Old 08-28-2011, 07:47 AM

4,019 posts, read 4,510,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
I love how NJ residents make up excuses for why their tax bills are so outrageously high.

Here's a reality check: plenty of areas of the U.S. provide excellent services and public schools at a mere fraction of the cost of NJ property taxes.
Except that the COL is a fraction as well. I'm the first person to say our public employees are overpaid, but at the same time, you can't pay them the wage of a public employee living in Kentucky or Nebraska.

Old 08-28-2011, 08:33 AM

107 posts, read 103,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
it's kind of funny to read "dump" and "decent" associated with 1.2. i'm actually laughing out loud. I found plenty of houses for far less than that which are far from dumps and nicer than decent. hell, there was a gorgeous house for sale in basking ridge not too long ago for $895,000. maybe people need to get their expectations in check...
Yeah, seriously. I don't know how someone who couldn't find a very nice house with the OP's requirements--"easy access to the train and under 1hr commute in northern NJ"--could possibly be intelligent enough to have an income, investments--whatever--to be able to afford a place for 1.2 million. Maybe it's inherited money or something.

Old 08-28-2011, 09:30 AM

599 posts, read 857,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyLaSalle View Post
Yeah, seriously. I don't know how someone who couldn't find a very nice house with the OP's requirements--"easy access to the train and under 1hr commute in northern NJ"--could possibly be intelligent enough to have an income, investments--whatever--to be able to afford a place for 1.2 million. Maybe it's inherited money or something.

We can't find a decent place that we see ourselves living in for a long time.

We are intelligent. My husband has a PhD from Harvard. I have a Master's Degree from Boston College. We don't have inherited money.

Old 08-28-2011, 01:43 PM

4,019 posts, read 4,510,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyLaSalle View Post
A guy living in a mud hut in Darfur would be in paradise in a one bedroom apartment in Newark. I'm sure he would wonder why anyone would need something more. It's all relative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey