Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2011, 12:06 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,673,021 times

Advertisements

My daughter can't get through to the airline. They don't even put you on hold--it just says there are too many calls and it hangs up.

For now, she's just going to hang on to the ticket she has and hope it just leaves late on Sunday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2011, 12:07 PM

232 posts, read 612,674 times
Any word on whether the NJ Turnpike south will be closing ??

Supposed to be going to DC tonight.....................

Old 08-26-2011, 12:14 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,975,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo Bloe View Post

I would be very surprised if that was closed ahead of the storm. I think the GSP action is to stop the flow to the shore which would be the hardest hit area.

Old 08-26-2011, 12:19 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,654,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
My daughter can't get through to the airline. They don't even put you on hold--it just says there are too many calls and it hangs up.

For now, she's just going to hang on to the ticket she has and hope it just leaves late on Sunday.
Have her check the airline's website for an email address. That would at least give her proof of contacting them if they screw things up. Can she be ready to leave tomorrow & catch a flight to Pittsburgh or Charlotte & leave from there on Sunday? CLT is a hub. She might have the best luck there.

Old 08-26-2011, 12:33 PM

3,971 posts, read 4,035,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo Bloe View Post

GSP closing at 8pm Friday - around exit 98.

Old 08-26-2011, 12:48 PM

257 posts, read 684,658 times
They won't keep the southbound lanes closed; they'll open them for northbound traffic to ease the congestion that will happen when people finally decide that it's time to leave.

Old 08-26-2011, 01:00 PM

9,374 posts, read 20,787,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I find it interesting that this particular event is showing the vast difference in focus on this forum. Since most people here live in North Jersey, that is the focus. If you live in North Jersey (aka north of I-195) chances are this storm will have very little impact on you and your area other than "some wind and rain". At worst you can probably expect to lose power and deal with some localized flooding.

However, if you live in South Jersey and especially along the shore points, it's shaping up to be a much more impactful event. I find it somewhat distasteful that some are cracking jokes about TV reception and what snacks they are going to have while some people in this state are under mandatory evacuations, living in shelters and facing the possibility of losing their homes. It's like people in NW Louisianna cracking jokes about Katrina while people in NOLA and the Delta were running for their lives.

Who knows what the ultimate impact will be. Right now they are putting out two scenarios. The worst case is that the storm comes into the DE Bay and makes a direct landfall in Cape May. They are predicting 100+ mph winds and a major storm surge. That kind of hit will be devastating to the shore and impact communities all along the DE Bay and River from storm surge and flooding.

The second and more likely scenario has it tracking ~50 miles off the coast. This will have 85+ mph winds and a lower storm surge. Still impactful, particularly to coastal communities, but not as bad for people inland.

Still, it is ultimately best to be prepared. At best in South Jersey we will be facing a lot of rain and localized flooding and will probably be without power for a significant time. At worst, we'll experience major flooding and structural damage. The same people saying this is nothing and won't have an impact were probably also the same people saying how stupid people were in the Gulf Coast for not evacuating ahead of Katrina and being prepared.

I guess, what I am saying is, even if the storm won't have much of an impact for the people represented on this particular forum, that doesn't mean that there aren't people whose lives are already being turned upside down and are squarely in the danger zone.
The worst case is that the storm comes into the DE Bay and makes a direct landfall in Cape May. They are predicting 100+ mph winds and a major storm surge. That kind of hit will be devastating to the shore and impact communities all along the DE Bay and River from storm surge and flooding.

Should this scenario occur, you are looking at life-changing consequences. Cape May as we know it will more resemble the 9th ward in New Orleans on August 29th, 2005, or Homestead Florida after Andrew destroyed that city in 1992.

I was only keeping one eye on this story, at best, until I was on the phone with my family earlier. I had no idea this was developing into something this calamitous.

Old 08-26-2011, 01:05 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,395,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
I just love the "internet weather experts" here that say what's the big deal it will probably die down before it gets here?
Your right the winds will probably die down from a sustained 120 mph to 70mph, this way the trees will topple over slowly so you can watch them fall .
I can also bet these "experts" will be the first ones complaining about not getting emergency service to come pump out their basements.
Since I am home all day I get to watch all the weather reports and the real experts say this could be the worst storm to hit the Northeast in a century but what do they know?
I guess they should consult with the "experts" here before making predictions.
the same people that complain about people "overreacting" to the storm are the same people who complain if the state/county/city wasn't prepared.

let's face it, many towns and NJ and NYC are prepping so much for this not only because they are listening to the warnings but also because they were grossly unprepared for a snowstorm in december that ended up being worse than predicted. that's right...worse than predicted. 20 inches predicted to fall in NYC, they got 28 inches.

Category 1/2 predicted to hit NJ and Long Island/NYC...what if they are wrong, but wrong about how "weak" it is?

bottom line is, it doesn't hurt to go out, get some water, some canned goods, and have some plan to leave the area if it comes to that. there are towns that if it's a category 1 will look like a disaster zone afterwards, and it will probably remain that way for a few days.

oh yeah, and those that aren't prepared...i don't want to waste any of my tax dollars on saving your ass either...so have fun!

Old 08-26-2011, 01:07 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,673,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Have her check the airline's website for an email address. That would at least give her proof of contacting them if they screw things up. Can she be ready to leave tomorrow & catch a flight to Pittsburgh or Charlotte & leave from there on Sunday? CLT is a hub. She might have the best luck there.
I will tell her that about the email address.

Isn't Charlotte in the path of the same storm?

I did check Pittsburgh but it's the same problem as the other options she's been seeing--she'll be able to fly out, but with layovers and changes, she's not going to get to Chengdu any earlier than she would by leaving Monday. She'll just be traveling longer and sleeping in airports. Other options were to fly to Vancouver or Chicago, but then it's waiting and layovers. Flights to China from Pittsburgh go to San Francisco first. You'd think California would be a shorter flight to China than from New York, but it's not.

Old 08-26-2011, 01:14 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,395,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
You do realize that Katrina was NOT a Cat5 when it hit NOLA. It was a weak Cat3 and broderline Cat2.

Hurricane Katrina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Further, NYC Harbor and the Atlantic City area are incredibly vulnerable to storm surge. It doesn't happen often at all, but when it does it can be really bad. For instance, did you know that most of NYC is only 8 feet above sea level? Almost the entire NJ coastal plain from Toms River south to Cape May up to several miles inland is no more than 7 feet above sea level?
it's hard to believe, but Hoboken is saying that the worst case scenario they are facing is 10 feet of flooding. 10 FEET!!!?? Hoboken can barely handle 4 inches of rain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey