Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2011, 06:18 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,212,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
The media cried wolf with the storm and the next time maybe people will not listen - that is all my intent or message was with the comments

I have not personally attacked your comments as you have attacked my comments and I am obviously hitting a nerve with you. This is why I have repeated over and over again it was a media hype to get people to watch and it was also a prop for politicians to shine and it was also a offense for the government to correct themselves for the mistakes they made in hurricane Katrina

Yes it was a a storm that caused damage- i see the pictures of the trees down and the pictures of the rivers that have spilled over the banks
Before the storm hit, there was a possibility that a category one or two hurricane was going to hit New Jersey and NYC. Thankfully, that was not the case. But it just goes to show that even tropical storms can cause extensive damage. Meterology and forecasting are far more complicated than you're probably aware of. The government didn't want to take a chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays
while we are on the subject now that you have me thinking. People on the East Coast are not as used to weather changes or disturbances as they are in other parts foe the country in regards to more snow storms blizzards, Ice , drought, Floods, Violent tornadoes, Hurricanes and earthquakes

I am not saying you do not get bad weather or have not had any bad storms but in the big picture you historically compare better than most of the country

You are kind of used to somewhat weather that is tame compared to other parts of the nation.
As you're aware, we do get blizzards, ice storms, floods, etc. Of course it isn't as extreme as what occurs in other parts of the country, but this is a heavily populated area, so there's going to be more problems in New Jersey than say, North Dakota when a major storm hits. The fact that tropical storms are not a common occurrence (which supports your argument) goes to show what a big deal this was. Was it as bad as a Hurricane Andrew or Joplin tornado? Of course not, but it was still a strong storm. Places all over the northeast suffered extensive damage from flooding and wind. Numerous homes and businesss were either flooded or damaged. Businesses are shut down, roads are closed, and the power is out for thounsands, including myself. It's going to be weeks before every thing is back to normal.

Last edited by ilovemycomputer90; 08-30-2011 at 06:45 AM.. Reason: grammar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 06:49 AM

523 posts, read 3,804,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I have a $30,000 gasoline generator hooked up to my house. It's my car. A little tweaking, and we got the whole house up and running with the exception of AC (and that's due to the limitation of my inverter, not my car). It's extremely efficient and a lot quieter than a cheap generator.
now this is a great idea! is this something a non-technically minded person can fairly easily do? are there details i can find somewhere?

Old 08-30-2011, 07:45 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,974,152 times
Quote:
I have a $30,000 gasoline generator hooked up to my house. It's my car. A little tweaking, and we got the whole house up and running with the exception of AC (and that's due to the limitation of my inverter, not my car). It's extremely efficient and a lot quieter than a cheap generator.
Interesting idea. How many amps does your alternator put out at idle, what kind of inverter are you using and how do you have it connected? Powerstroke diesels are frequently fitted with dual alternators in ambulance applications, and I've considered the modification for mine in the past. Might be interesting to see how much power dual 120 Amp alternators could put out, but it would likely take a very expensive inverter to handle it. Also, I don't think my neighbors would appreciate my truck running at high idle (1100 RPM) all night either... Neat idea though.

Old 08-30-2011, 07:51 AM

9,374 posts, read 20,787,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Before the storm hit, there was a possibility that a category one or two hurricane was going to hit New Jersey and NYC. Thankfully, that was not the case. But it just goes to show that even tropical storms can cause extensive damage. Meterology and forecasting are far more complicated than you're probably aware of. The government didn't want to take a chance.

As you're aware, we do get blizzards, ice storms, floods, etc. Of course it isn't as extreme as what occurs in other parts of the country, but this is a heavily populated area, so there's going to be more problems in New Jersey than say, North Dakota when a major storm hits. The fact that tropical storms are not a common occurrence (which supports your argument) goes to show what a big deal this was. Was it as bad as a Hurricane Andrew or Joplin tornado? Of course not, but it was still a strong storm. Places all over the northeast suffered extensive damage from flooding and wind. Numerous homes and businesss were either flooded or damaged. Businesses are shut down, roads are closed, and the power is out for thounsands, including myself. It's going to be weeks before every thing is back to normal.

That said, if what happened here in Missouri occurred in the NYC area, it would have been a 'bleed/lead' major news story nationally several days consecutively. Joplin Missouri was probably the worst weather event since Katrina in this country, and it didn't register more than a ripple. Most definitely there is a corollary between population density, and news coverage, especially as it pertains to weather-related speculation. The same premise holds true when it comes to the Weather Channel prognosticating "Northeast Blizzard" during the winter season. The Boston-NYC-D.C. corridor is always going to dominate the news head lines when it comes to matters such as these.

This hurricane caused extensive damage in Vermont, and this is a lesson learned: hurricane forecasts are tricky. How did Irene re-gain strength, and cause exponentially more damage in the Green Mountain State?

Vermont has only 600,000 people, so in part, it was ignored during this media buildup. Here's an excerpt:
"The state appeared to be an afterthought as the national media geared up for the storm as it threatened New York last week, but by Monday, the Vermont flood dominated mainstream and social media."

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/a...text|FRONTPAGE

Old 08-30-2011, 08:56 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kronenborg View Post
now this is a great idea! is this something a non-technically minded person can fairly easily do? are there details i can find somewhere?
The way I did it, you need to be technical. If you need just 1KW of power or so, you can pick up an inverter that connects to your 12VDC battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
Interesting idea. How many amps does your alternator put out at idle, what kind of inverter are you using and how do you have it connected? Powerstroke diesels are frequently fitted with dual alternators in ambulance applications, and I've considered the modification for mine in the past. Might be interesting to see how much power dual 120 Amp alternators could put out, but it would likely take a very expensive inverter to handle it. Also, I don't think my neighbors would appreciate my truck running at high idle (1100 RPM) all night either... Neat idea though.
My car is a Hybrid, so it works a little differently. My car's generator (it does not have an alternator) can generate up to approximately 29.420KW at 1800RPM (when stationary). The car's computer will actually dynamically idle between 1000RPM and 1800RPM depending on load. If the load is low enough, the engine will shut off completely and run off of the 220.88V battery (and automatically turn the engine on to charge periodically -- no wasted power).

I'd imagine that a truck would not be efficient for this purpose.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:04 AM

Quote:
My car's generator (it does not have an alternator) can generate up to approximately 29.420KW at 1800RPM (when stationary). The car's computer will actually dynamically idle between 1000RPM and 1800RPM depending on load. If the load is low enough, the engine will shut off completely and run off of battery (and automatically turn the engine on to charge periodically -- no wasted power).
So this is a very customized system-what kind of car? Did you modify it yourself/use an off-the-shelf kit, etc...?

Old 08-30-2011, 09:07 AM

Quote:
So this is a very customized system-what kind of car? Did you modify it yourself/use an off-the-shelf kit, etc...?
I bought a hybrid. It works like that out of the box.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:11 AM

Quote:
I bought a hybrid. It works like that out of the box.
What kind of hybrid? Is this an option or does it come standard? I'm a car guy and my cousin actually owns a Prius and I was not aware of this capability-I would imagine that if more people knew about this more people would buy them. Especially in rural areas.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:14 AM

Quote:
What kind of hybrid? Is this an option or does it come standard? I'm a car guy and my cousin actually owns a Prius and I was not aware of this capability-I would imagine that if more people knew about this more people would buy them. Especially in rural areas.
It's a Nissan Altima Hybrid, but it uses Toyota's Hybrid Technology... different sized motor, battery and engine than the Prius ofcourse... similar to the Camry Hybrid.... but the way it works is identical. I had to connect into the hybrid system... it takes some electrical know-how and willingness to work with wires... but not hard.

A couple of good reads:

FD Prius Power
Toyota Prius - Power Split Device

Also, while the article above mentions 50KW of generation power, there is a software limit of much less. In my case, ~30KW,

Old 08-30-2011, 11:10 AM

11,337 posts, read 16,691,416 times
Still no power in the house and they're hoping by Sat....but we are lucky and that alot of other people are worse off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey