U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-26-2011, 07:20 AM

1,494 posts, read 2,962,915 times
Default Breaking a contract

I'm a teacher at a private school and have been offered a teaching job in the public school. They said I have the job PENDING the references. It's been a week now and they still haven't called the references.

The private school is having their contract signing this Tuesday. I'm going to have to sign it since I'm not hearing anything back from the public school.

ONe of the workers at the BOE told me it takes a while for them to call references, but the start of school is just around the corner.

So if I sign the private school contract and then the public schools call me, are there any consequences to breeching the private school? It says I should give 2 weeks notice, but that will not be possible and I would definitely take the public school job in a heartbeat.

Any advice? Can the private school take legal action in NJ even with a letter of resignation that says effective immediately?

So confused
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2011, 09:57 AM

96 posts, read 144,493 times
I look at it this way...the worst case scenario is that you don't show up ont he first day of school at the private school and they fire you. I don't see how they can force you to work there.

Old 08-26-2011, 11:30 AM

4,829 posts, read 3,941,577 times
Can the private school take legal action?
Yes.
Will they?
Probably not, but of course, this is just my best guess, based on 30+ years in education.

In my district, as a result of salaries that were not as good as those in some other nearby districts, it was not unusual for people to sign a contact with us, only to inform us just days prior to the opening of school that they would not be working in our district. Of course, that was a public district, and their actions (and inactions) are not necessarily similar to those of a private school.

While this is just supposition on my part, I don't think that a school--whether public or private--wants to spend their dwindling economic resources on litigation over someone reneging on an employment contract.

Old 08-26-2011, 11:35 AM

2,854 posts, read 2,669,681 times
Have you explained the situation to the public school? Maybe they could be quicker in calling references. I would think they would want the person they are hiring to behave in a professionl way, which you are trying to do.

Old 08-26-2011, 12:31 PM

1,411 posts, read 2,597,359 times
If you have to give 2 weeks notice to private school, and they hold you to contract, the public school would probably understand.

It happens all the time. Not easy, but they have dealt with it before.

Old 08-26-2011, 01:38 PM

2,548 posts, read 1,174,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
Have you explained the situation to the public school? Maybe they could be quicker in calling references. I would think they would want the person they are hiring to behave in a professionl way, which you are trying to do.
Seriously, do you do any thing public give a crap about it? They don't care. They are not here to make a profit. They know if they put out all failed student, they will still get the funding and still have their jobs.

Old 08-26-2011, 01:59 PM

572 posts, read 883,041 times
Clearly, based on your grammer and lack of ability to produce a sentence that makes any sense, the public schools did not do you any good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post
Seriously, do you do any thing public give a crap about it? They don't care. They are not here to make a profit. They know if they put out all failed student, they will still get the funding and still have their jobs.

Old 08-26-2011, 02:49 PM

1,494 posts, read 2,962,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
I actually did call the woman that interviewed me at the public school this morning and explained the dilemma. She said she understands it puts me in a tight spot, but that human resources works at their own pace and there is nothing she can do. She said just to sign the private school one anyway in case things go wrong. I guess I'll just have to wait it out.

Old 08-26-2011, 03:46 PM

4,829 posts, read 3,941,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post

That was helpful.
(Not)
When you get a chance, could you repeat your message in English?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCK7778 View Post
Clearly, based on your grammer and lack of ability to produce a sentence that makes any sense, the public schools did not do you any good.

Ummmm...the word is grammar, and I don't think that you should make any assumptions about the type of school attended by cw3000.
For that matter, which school taught you how to spell "grammer" (sic)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey